Question about parked car lanes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about parked car lanes

Daakuryu

Once in a while on streets where there are parked cars I've seen other bikes zoom past in the right hand lane where the cars are parked, I've done it when it's one or two cars but these guys were plowing through an entire 2-3 blocks worth of it. Is that considered lane splitting as well or is it generally accepted?

Hell I've seen cars try to do it and wind up partially in both lanes because they want to jump into the open right lane as soon as they can so they can skip a few cars and wind up having to slowly shift back into the left one anyway 30 seconds later and they wind up right back where they were, in front of me or worse, behind me... morons.

Anywho, parked car lane, splitting or no?

It is perfectly legal. I usually ride from the start of Danforth all the way to bloor and yonge in that lane.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

And we all know the GTA is full of drivers who have been driving their entire life as have their parents, and always look in the mirror before whipping open the driver side door.

Seems safer to me to assume every one of those doors will open.

I do it regularly when riding to/from work downtown. Particularly along Carlton/College St, where the right-hand lane is fairly wide at points. That said, you will constantly be fighting cagers, bicyclists and especially taxi drivers, who will wedge themselves in between you and the parked cars at every possible opportunity. I've had a taxi driver do this while I was stopped behind a streetcar w/open doors, the guy was literally an inch or two from my leg and he went on past myself AND the streetcar.

One thing I've noticed with cyclists downtown: Man are they ever suicidal sometimes. I've only been working down here for about 2 months now, and I've seen several incidences where a cyclist flew out in front of, or abruptly changed lanes etc in front of a fast-moving vehicle. I'm used to the ones in Scarborough and areas, but downtown man, they're a different breed...

untill you crash.

And we all know the GTA is full of drivers who have been driving their entire life as have their parents, and always look in the mirror before whipping open the driver side door.

Seems safer to me to assume every one of those doors will open.

I understand your concern and as a former cyclist who rode both downtown Montreal and Downtown Toronto I am fully aware of the dreaded car door, usually if you pay attention you can spot cars that are parking versus cars that are already parked and I have every intention of getting the hell out of the way of parking cars.

I'm not planning on going at ridiculous speeds if I go in that lane, just enough to get me out of the parking lot that these streets can turn into

My question was more along the lines of if a cop sees me do this will I get a ticket/points deducted to "unsafe" driving

you will constantly be fighting cagers, bicyclists and especially taxi drivers, who will wedge themselves in between you and the parked cars at every possible opportunity.

Yeah I saw plenty of that yesterday going town Dufferin to Queen, it's part of what I was talking about in the original post. These drivers that know there are more parked cars a few feet away but "hey there's space I'll try to skip ahead a bit." then 30 seconds later they're ****** that they are now 2-3 cars behind where they were before because no one would let them back in.

Last edited:
And then insurance covers you as it is the parked cars drivers responsibility to watch before they open their door.

...This is a good strategy. Does your insurance cover funeral fees?

Is that what you tell yourself when a car runs a red or cuts in front of you? "my insurance will cover this"

Last edited:
Was already a thread on this, I ride in a parked car lane when I get the chance. I ride along in first gear and putter along well having 1 finger covering my front brake (Can be a bad habit, I know but I don't just jam on my front brake). I've ridden past cops in traffic, they've never even given it a second thought and I continue on my way.

Was already a thread on this, I ride in a parked car lane when I get the chance. I ride along in first gear and putter along well having 1 finger covering my front brake (Can be a bad habit, I know but I don't just jam on my front brake). I've ridden past cops in traffic, they've never even given it a second thought and I continue on my way.

I do it as well, but as long as you know the risks :)

...This is a good strategy. Does your insurance cover funeral fees?

Is that what you tell yourself when a car runs a red or cuts in front of you? "my insurance will cover this"

If you are that worried, you might want to invest in a nice padded room with multiple deadbolt locks on both sides of the door so nothing will ever harm you ever.

We take risks every day going about our daily lives;

Crossing the street? Car might hit you.
Walking on the sidewalk? Some guy might mug you.
Taking a piss? giant sewer alligator might chop your dick off.
Sleeping? Ceiling might cave in or house might catch on fire.
Having sexytimes with a chick that really digged your bike? She may have some sort of super STD that will melt you into a puddle starting with your dick.

Pretty sure most of us accepted that once we got on our bikes our lives were a little bit less safe but that's why we try to pay a bit more attention to our surroundings, because we know everyone else is actively out to kill us since they are jealous of our awesome bikes and our giant balls for daring to ride on a motorcycle instead of a cage.

I tried searching but didn't find one.

But that that was the plan 1st gear, 10-20 max with brakes at the ready.

Back
Top Bottom