Smallest touring motorcycle? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smallest touring motorcycle?

I can recommend the F650GS which is a twin. Though it actually has an 800cc it gets very good gas mileage (avg 4L/100km) even compared to the VStrom 650cc. And its 50 lbs lighter! I think it is very well balanced across all touring needs and though I have not done any extreme trips, I have done many 600km days with the stock seat with no pain (I just picked up a Sargent but not sure I like it better yet.)

With a touring windshield it is extremely comfortable on the highway WELL past 120km/h :) Lots of luggage options too.

I actually have the lowered version of the F650GS even though I am 6'4"...and it still fits me very comfortably!

The only thing I don't like about the bike is that it is too much fun and thus a real drain on productivity ;-)

That 800cc engine will knock insurance up a lot with a lot of companies.

I think the Versys and V-Strom are both super ugly but to each his own.

the new wee strom is cute! Sometimes I think about getting the expedition version with all the farkles

Hey it's not cute!!!! There goes my masculinity!!!! :)

..Tom

Just to throw out a little something else...what about the little Tiger, the Tiger 800? When I was looking last year they had some attractive finance and pricing deals on unsold previous year models. I love the triple engine in my big Tiger, plenty of fun.

Burgman has a V-Twin???

I wonder if the OP is tall enough for the V-Strom tho. The 650 motor Suzuki makes is a treat. De-tuned version is in the Burgman and just sooooo reliable.
57,000 km now on two of them and the only issue was a dead battery.
As you say - go away for months - turn the key and it starts....no fuss.
••

OP the 700 will be a leisurely bike for sure but if you are in that mode you really should consider a Burgman 650 - best all around bike I've owned in 40 years of riding and many others at http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/ would concur. Around for $4k to $7k ( Executive, power windscreen, ABS, heated grips ).

Vstrom is a parallel twin just like the Burgman.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

I don't know what engine is in the Burgman but I know that the V-Strom motor is a 90 degree V-twin. (Some call that configuration an "L" twin.)

..Tom

Rode a 2013 Vstrom at the Brampton Powersports demo day today, it rode nice.

Only two things that would take a bit getting used to:

1) even though I am short, my knees seemed quite high up when on the pegs. How do you tall guys ride this bike? Maybe I am just used to the taller KLX so I am used to my knees being lower, knees a bit straighter.

2) does anyone else find the shift lever to be quite close to the footpeg? I really had to angle my toe to get my boot under the lever. Again, how do you tall guys with long feet shift this thing?

Anyway... both are just minor things that I would adjust to. No final decision made as of yet.

Rode a 2013 Vstrom at the Brampton Powersports demo day today, it rode nice.

Only two things that would take a bit getting used to:

1) even though I am short, my knees seemed quite high up when on the pegs. How do you tall guys ride this bike? Maybe I am just used to the taller KLX so I am used to my knees being lower, knees a bit straighter.

2) does anyone else find the shift lever to be quite close to the footpeg? I really had to angle my toe to get my boot under the lever. Again, how do you tall guys with long feet shift this thing?

Anyway... both are just minor things that I would adjust to. No final decision made as of yet.

You'll get used to the shifter being smallish and close, same with the peg position, some people move the pegs lower. I had a 2010 V-Strom and I can tell you they just eat up the highway miles, did some fire roads and gravel no problem. It's a little heavy for true off road especially if you have done it on dirt bikes and are comparing to those.

The only things I didn't like about the strom are the buffeting drove me nuts, partially solved with a MadStad bracket, and the other thing was the shape of the pharing left a oval hole in front of the tank that for me anyway, made the engine drone annoying.

I sold it, but I did love it the whole time I had it, and regret selling it.

Cordova Falls 002.jpg

Just to throw out a little something else...what about the little Tiger, the Tiger 800? When I was looking last year they had some attractive finance and pricing deals on unsold previous year models. I love the triple engine in my big Tiger, plenty of fun.

Icon-2011-Triumph-Tiger.jpg

this was my wallpaper for a couple of months.

dual sports in hamilton had a fully set up one for about $12k and I almost pulled the trigger.

between that, the f800gs and the new strom I keep cycling as to which one is next.

okay back on topic: just to put in some perspective, there are people who tour on bicycles.. and even walk around the world!

Just like my VFR but with less cylinders then?

I thought VFRs had V4 engines? Wouldn't a vtwin be half a V4? I guess the depends on which way you cut it.

Another happy weestrom owner. Mine is an '05 and I commute with it every day. Its fine on Toronto roads, long highway rides when I have to go to Sudbury and it handles fire roads in northern Ontario. Wife likes riding on it as well. It doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well but it does pretty much everything decently.

I replaced the pegs with dirt bike ones so muddy boots wouldn't slip off which lowered the pegs a bit.

Welp, pulled the trigger on a 2013 V-strom 650. Now the expensive task of finding engine guards, skidplate, center stand, trunk, panniers, etc etc...

How much otd, if you don't mind me asking?

$8500 + HST -- that is the lowest price I could find and was from Suzuki of Newmarket. I didn't buy there though... I basically 'price matched'.

$8500 + HST -- that is the lowest price I could find and was from Suzuki of Newmarket. I didn't buy there though... I basically 'price matched'.

Tons of info there.

Last edited:
Oh, and congrats on the new bike! You'll love it!

Back
Top Bottom