Smallest touring motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Smallest touring motorcycle?

I just got a Versys and I was just like you looking at the V-strom as well. I like everything about the V-strom except the way it looks, I just can't stand it.
So far I got only about 3000 kms on the Versys and i love it. Of course it's not the perfect bike, but for my money it's pretty damn good. The seat sucks, but I fixed that with an Airhawk2. It's super fun in the twisties as much as it is on city streets. I'd recommend taking one for a spin to see how you like it.

Zoodles, that might actually be a very good suggestion. I think I am going to try and locate a NC700X in real life and see how it looks. Sounds good in the videos I've seen and what I have read.

Honda NC 700 S or X?

You have a 21L luggage area before you even add on the optional luggage. The V-Strom and Versys would be much more entertaining rides but the NC would give ridiculous milleage. The fairing on the NC 700 X looks like it would give significant protection from the elements as well.

Make sure you ride it first - not just look at it - one reviewer said boring...kid and I agree completely.
Look at the CB500x at the same time and tell me that the 700 is worth $1500 more, more insurance and a 6500 rpm rev limit.

Honda had a sale...the NC700x was discounted - the CB500x was not....and don't overlook the NT700 if you can find one.
That's a real intermediate tourer.

Deauville_RHS_Red_700p.jpg

Yeah, I know I would have to test that one.

Every review calls it a 'beginner bike', and I realize it is essentially 1/2 a car engine so it redlines at 6500. Therefore shifting happens much earlier (similar to my diesel bike). I wonder if the lower revving engine would mean it will also last much longer too?

Anyway, I want to see it because I like the reported fuel mileage that it gets as well as the built in storage where a normal gas tank is. I am not looking for, and have never cared about having any kind of a powerful peppy/sporty bike (as one can tell from my list of past bikes)... I just like to cruise along at a nice leisurely pace and take in the sights.

I still want to see the CB500X when it comes in July. I just worry, having had a 500cc in the past, that it might not be enough bike for what I want to do. My old piece of junk EX500 certainly wasn't. I know the two aren't comparable, but any way I am just trying to figure out what sort of power I should be looking at for what I want to do... I may need to go for a 650 (or 670) to spend a day on highway.

Make sure you ride it first - not just look at it - one reviewer said boring...kid and I agree completely.
Look at the CB500x at the same time and tell me that the 700 is worth $1500 more, more insurance and a 6500 rpm rev limit.

Honda had a sale...the NC700x was discounted - the CB500x was not....and don't overlook the NT700 if you can find one.
That's a real intermediate tourer.

Deauville_RHS_Red_700p.jpg

Last edited:
I can recommend the F650GS which is a twin. Though it actually has an 800cc it gets very good gas mileage (avg 4L/100km) even compared to the VStrom 650cc. And its 50 lbs lighter! I think it is very well balanced across all touring needs and though I have not done any extreme trips, I have done many 600km days with the stock seat with no pain (I just picked up a Sargent but not sure I like it better yet.)

With a touring windshield it is extremely comfortable on the highway WELL past 120km/h :) Lots of luggage options too.

I actually have the lowered version of the F650GS even though I am 6'4"...and it still fits me very comfortably!

The only thing I don't like about the bike is that it is too much fun and thus a real drain on productivity ;-)

I'd say CBR125 like has already been mentioned. Bikes aren't very fuel efficient considering how small and light they are. My 2001 Jetta got better fuel economy than my bike. Although it was a diesel.

New CB500F was mentioned.

Great for insurance due to the smaller engine. Lots of torque to get you up to speed. And enough power for highway cruising.

One awesome point is that oil changes are every 8,000 km and service is every 16,000 km! For putting on a lot of distance that would save a lot of time and money.

I've got the G650GS Sertao (basically the new Dakar) and it is fine with anything you throw at it. It doesn't have the power of the Wee-Strom but isn't as bulky either. Plenty of luggage options, I've got Jesse Luggage on mine. So far, I've averaged around 3.8L/100kms though, with the smallish tank, you wouldn't want to go more than 300kms before filling up. The seat, some have said, is uncomfortable, but I've managed to ride all day on it without any issue.

For value though, it's hard to beat a V-Strom.

Yeah, I know I would have to test that one.

Every review calls it a 'beginner bike', and I realize it is essentially 1/2 a car engine so it redlines at 6500. Therefore shifting happens much earlier (similar to my diesel bike). I wonder if the lower revving engine would mean it will also last much longer too?

How long do you want it to last?

For what it's worth my 2006 V-Strom DL650 has over 202,000 km on it. I just moved last week and it was sitting in my garage for over a year untouched and unridden. I turned it on, waited for the fuel pump to cycle, and it started like it was turned off a few minutes before. I know of some that have over 250,000 km on them. I don't baby my cars or bikes and both my Stroms have seen redline almost every day they have been ridden. Maintenance pretty much amounts to oil hanges every 6,000 km. My 2006 only saw the dealership twice (for the 1,000 km and 24,00 km inspections.) I also have learned how to make chains last close to 80,00 km following the Rosey Toes method (hint: lubing a lot is the key.)

..Tom

I wonder if the OP is tall enough for the V-Strom tho. The 650 motor Suzuki makes is a treat. De-tuned version is in the Burgman and just sooooo reliable.
57,000 km now on two of them and the only issue was a dead battery.
As you say - go away for months - turn the key and it starts....no fuss.
••

OP the 700 will be a leisurely bike for sure but if you are in that mode you really should consider a Burgman 650 - best all around bike I've owned in 40 years of riding and many others at http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/ would concur. Around for $4k to $7k ( Executive, power windscreen, ABS, heated grips ).

Welp, just came back from Ready Honda, and while the NC700X looks nice and that storage is handy, I have ruled it out as I can tell it is only barely gravel road capable. It is basically a street bike that is somewhat made to resemble an adventure bike. I would worry far too much about stones being thrown into the plastic bits for any gravel riding. Most importantly, my wife climbed on the back and didn't like it at all.

The CB500F was right beside it. I am guessing that is similar to the CB500X. Also a nice, light weight bike, but the wife turned that one down too.

I sat on all 3 of the V-stroms they had there -- two 2012s and one 2006. These bikes are not too tall for me. My 30" inseam might not allow for both feet to be flat footed, but I am not far from that -- definitely in control of the bike. The V-strom seemed much more comfortable, is very upright, and I prefer the layout of the dash. In particular my wife loved the orange v-strom with the trunk box on it... when she climbed behind me she felt safe and comfortable having that box to lean on. Not that she will be riding with me often, but I have to at least let her think she in charge. Upon leaving Ready Honda she commented that I should buy a new V-strom and get that trunk box for her.

Anyway... it is really starting to look like it is the Vstrom for me. I will still check out the Versys beforehand.

If anyone has a used V-strom for sale, especially one with a center stand, engine guards, and a trunk box, I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Welp, just came back from Ready Honda, and while the NC700X looks nice and that storage is handy, I have ruled it out as I can tell it is only barely gravel road capable. It is basically a street bike that is somewhat made to resemble an adventure bike. I would worry far too much about stones being thrown into the plastic bits for any gravel riding. Most importantly, my wife climbed on the back and didn't like it at all.

The CB500F was right beside it. I am guessing that is similar to the CB500X. Also a nice, light weight bike, but the wife turned that one down too.

I sat on all 3 of the V-stroms they had there -- two 2012s and one 2006. These bikes are not too tall for me. My 30" inseam might not allow for both feet to be flat footed, but I am not far from that -- definitely in control of the bike. The V-strom seemed much more comfortable, is very upright, and I prefer the layout of the dash. In particular my wife loved the orange v-strom with the trunk box on it... when she climbed behind me she felt safe and comfortable having that box to lean on. Not that she will be riding with me often, but I have to at least let her think she in charge. Upon leaving Ready Honda she commented that I should buy a new V-strom and get that trunk box for her.

Anyway... it is really starting to look like it is the Vstrom for me. I will still check out the Versys beforehand.

If anyone has a used V-strom for sale, especially one with a center stand, engine guards, and a trunk box, I wouldn't mind taking a look.

That's exactly what I did to my Versys to make it more comfy and improve the riding for my gf, added a Givi top case. Here's a pic I took a couple of days ago.

AWvsVXAl.jpg

Tom, having owned both, do you prefer the pre-2012 models or would I be better off paying a bit more and getting the new model?

I have a 2006 DL650 V-Strom as well as a 2012 DL650 V-Strom. One little thing is that the tank size is smaller on the 2012 up, but they get better mileage so the range is the same. My 2006 has over 202,500 km on it, my 2012 that I bought in March of 2012 has around 53,000 I have done many trips pver 5,000 km but the longest was 10,300+ km in 10 days. On the way home I did about 3,200 km in about 2.5 days (Speed limits in the western USA are quite high with Utah having an 80 mph limit.)

Bottom line is these bikes can handle touring quite well. They are also great on twisties, back roads, gravel, commuting, rain, etc. Just great all round bikes.

..Tom

Tom, having owned both, do you prefer the pre-2012 models or would I be better off paying a bit more and getting the new model?

I can't really say what it right for you but I do love my 2012! Out of the box the 2012 is a much better machine and for me required less modifications to make it perfect for me.

I rode my 2006 for 202,500 km and loved all of it. I retired it when I bought my 2012 DL650 (the new generation.) My 2012 has about 54,000 km on it. I found it very hard to go back and ride my 2006 after having the 2012; and basically parked the 2006. In fact the first time I rode it in 14 months was two weekends ago as I sold my house and moved. So given a choice I prefer the 2012. Having said that if the new model had not come out I would still be happily riding my 2006 and have probably 256,000 km on it.

..Tom

Thanks for the info.

From the Suzuki website, it would appear that they are offering 0% financing with no down payment at the moment.
Considering that, I am leaning towards just getting a 2012 or 2013 financed so I don't have to ding my savings. And I guess I will have to suck it up and pay for any accessories myself rather than trying to find a bike that comes with what I want already paid for.

I can't really say what it right for you but I do love my 2012! Out of the box the 2012 is a much better machine and for me required less modifications to make it perfect for me.

I rode my 2006 for 202,500 km and loved all of it. I retired it when I bought my 2012 DL650 (the new generation.) My 2012 has about 54,000 km on it. I found it very hard to go back and ride my 2006 after having the 2012; and basically parked the 2006. In fact the first time I rode it in 14 months was two weekends ago as I sold my house and moved. So given a choice I prefer the 2012. Having said that if the new model had not come out I would still be happily riding my 2006 and have probably 256,000 km on it.

..Tom

Ah if you can fit the V-strom go for it. You will need it for two up and sag will develop over time on the shocks lowering it when on it. In addition Sargent I think makes a low seat for it.

CB500x is not for two up. V-Strom 650 - good choice and loads of farkles for it.

im about to take my Honda CBF600sa on a loop of lake Superior.
Ill let you know.

the new wee strom is cute! Sometimes I think about getting the expedition version with all the farkles

Back
Top Bottom