New truck? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New truck?

I know they do that with cars (VW does the same ... you cannot buy the stripped $17k Jetta with the TDI engine as the only option, you have to move up to the next trim level).

On the Ram van, that diesel package is supposed to be across-the-board, so that is supposedly the real extra cost. It remains to be seen if Ram will do that with the pickup ... or make you buy other option packages in the name of "additional profit".

The other thing that happens with VW is that if you want TDI (which are in high demand) then you have to pay full pop, but the gas engine models can be had at a discount because those are not in demand.

But on the other hand ... should you wish to sell the vehicle a few years down the road, usually the diesel models hold their value better and are easier to sell.

Want the diesel, its a 4K option, but WAIT, diesels only come in the top of the line deluxo package which is another 3K option...sorry, cant have it in the bottom trim.

Chevy Cruze, starting price 15K, Cruze diesel, MSRP 25K.....so yea, 10K price difference....with the smaller cars mpg difference being smaller it will take a LOOONG time to pay off the sticker difference.

this

Hey i am ALL for affordable diesels to start showing up...i'm just talking from the point of the manus and what they have done in the past.

Want the diesel, its a 4K option, but WAIT, diesels only come in the top of the line deluxo package which is another 3K option...sorry, cant have it in the bottom trim.

Chevy Cruze, starting price 15K, Cruze diesel, MSRP 25K.....so yea, 10K price difference....with the smaller cars mpg difference being smaller it will take a LOOONG time to pay off the sticker difference.

How many km does it take before an automatic transmission and sunroof pay for themselves?

How many km does it take before an automatic transmission and sunroof pay for themselves?

Come again?

Thats like being forced to ride a supersport with the higher ins premiums and then you telling me "oh, what?? You are riding an SS, ofcourse the ins is higher...."

How about i dont WANT an auto tranny and i dont WANT a sunroof....let me choose to add those as options instead of forcing me to "trim up".

i dont see how those are related with the engine being a diesel.

Then his wife walked into the room and I got distracted by boobies.

riff raff out.......
Best reply to the thread so far.

Can i ask Paul to change yer handle?

How about i dont WANT an auto tranny and i dont WANT a sunroof....let me choose to add those as options instead of forcing me to "trim up".

For the most part ... "Additional Profit"

The auto tranny is another matter, though. This one, unfortunately, I can see why they do it. The vast majority of people in North America, buy automatic transmission anyway. Every combination of engine and transmission in each vehicle has to undergo its own EPA emission certification, and each combination costs big bucks - and that's just the certification costs, those are on top of the R&D and calibration costs in the first place. So in the view of the marketing gurus, it doesn't make sense to pay the certification costs for a powertrain combination (diesel + manual transmission) that few people will buy - so they don't offer it.

I happen to think that in the Cruze's market segment, that they could be wrong, if Cruze buyers are anything like VW Jetta/Golf buyers. Around 40% of Jetta/Golf TDI buyers choose manual transmission. At that level, it's worth offering. (My own Jetta TDI is row-it-yourself. My dad's is automatic.)

The other thing that happens with VW is that if you want TDI (which are in high demand) then you have to pay full pop, but the gas engine models can be had at a discount because those are not in demand.

Right now there are deals (OTD for less than MSRP). Probably because people know the new ones are coming (and as you know more than anybody) the problems with the current ones were never fixed.

Come again?

Thats like being forced to ride a supersport with the higher ins premiums and then you telling me "oh, what?? You are riding an SS, ofcourse the ins is higher...."

They're not related to the engine being a diesel, which is why your comparison of a base model to a highly equipped model in terms of fuel savings makes no sense.

The Ram 1500 diesel is reported to be available in all trim packages, they envision diesel going to municipal trucks, service and work vehicles so leather and sunroofs wont be needed.

Here's an updated fuel consumption list on my Ranger XL 4 Cylinder...

Base Test.

No hard driving, averaging about 90-95 km/h, bed had about 200 lbs in the back on the way up, and has a tonneau cover.
L/km: 13.7
L/100 km: 7.3
MPG: 32.2

Loaded test:
GSXR750 and ramps in bed, U-Haul Trailer, KTM Duke, gear, tools, coolers etc in trailer. Passenger in cab. Total load not including me (driver in both cases) was about 1800-1900 pounds (UHaul trailer is about 600 on it's own).

km/L: 8.65
L/100 km: 11.6
MPG: 20.3

Quite the difference, but not stunningly terrible.

Ok...i didn't hear any negative comments about the reliability of Toyota's 4 banger so i bought a Tacoma Access cab with SR5 package and a 2.7l 4 banger.
I couldn't be happier with this setup.It has enough power for my needs and with the Extang solid fold tonneau,it gets 26mpg city/hwy.Cya at the next gas station.
v77q.jpg

thread-resurrection.jpg

Resident Honda fanboi acts the same now as he did three years ago.

I did what I had threatened to do somewhere in this thread ... my bike hauler is now a Ram ProMaster van, gas engine. It's really been almost three years? Wow. It's been good ... lifetime consumption is 11.6 L/100 km. For a big box, can't complain about that. We just did Deals Gap and back.

In fact, there are now two FiatChrysler products in the driveway. Despite the scorn directed towards FCA from far and wide ... both have been fine.

Best vehicle i have ever owned.It has 79,000km on it now.The exhaust from the cat back was replaced because of a loose internal baffle under warranty.With Yokohama geolander snows on it,it's unstoppable.In the summer i get about 9l/100km.I don't regret the 2.7l 4 banger at all.The only negative might be the height.My trials bikes are thankfully very light tho.The build quality is very impressive.Still not a squeak or a rattle anywhere.

Just found this on ADVR in the 2017 Ridgeline thread.
[video=youtube;C4_CrcFv34g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4_CrcFv34g[/video]

Back
Top Bottom