Ganaraska: Any areas within that are not so sandy? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ganaraska: Any areas within that are not so sandy?

DarylinAjax

Hi All,

Went with my 13-year old son this weekend to the ganny. Since it was our first time we went to the forest centre to grab passes and maps and ended up parking in P1. We had a great time EXCEPT that most of the trails we rode had large sections of deep sand that made it tricky riding.

I've got a dually XR650L, the tires are only so-so in the sand and it's a heavy bike so to keep the front wheel from plowing I spent much of my time standing with my weight shifted as far back as possible. After a couple of hours I was exhausted...

My son had a much easier time on his light TTR125 with full knobbies, though still found it a challenge...

So folks, are their areas in the ganny we can ride that have less sand?

Cheers,
Daryl
Ajax, ON
Canada, eh!

The whole forest is a sand pit to be honest. In the single track its not as bad. If you go after a good rain then the moisture makes it easier going.

If you park off Wilcox road there's sand but its not as deep and soft as the forest centre and the fire roads are better to learn on there.

The correct way to ride a dirt bike is to stand, so the Ganny will improve your riding style. And no, there isn't really any non sandy parts there.

The whole forest is a sand pit to be honest. In the single track its not as bad. If you go after a good rain then the moisture makes it easier going.

This. I can do 6 hours max at the ganny before I'm totally pooched (on CRF230s). 4 of those riding hours

The center part seems to be the worst for loose sand. Go west and the trails/access roads are more hard packed. The eastern forest is also pretty good. It seems less busy too if that's a concern for you regarding riding with your son.

The area around the parking on Forest Centre road is in my opinion the worst for loose sand. While it is not the designated "Central" part of the forest it is in the centre or middle of the forest.

i think i may have passed by you guys a couple times, were you two stopped on the side of the sand trail for a bit?

Could have been us....we didn't stray far from P1 and were using the main north-south road as a guide to get us back to where we parked. We don't know the area well and didn't have time to do much exploring.

We've got a four-day camping trip planned for July 1st long weekend - heading up to Parry Sound KOA and will try the Seguin Trail. It's 75 km's long and goes from Parry Sound to Kearney. Should be fun! We'll have time to explore the other trails as well. The Seguin Trail is part of the Park-to-Park trail system and is the longest stretch a person on a dirt-bike can legally ride. Would love to do the P2P trail from end to end but will have to wait till my son is 16 and I can get him a dually...

I was there on my CRF250X this past Friday, and blasted the single track fast and hard, Was a great day, very little loose stuff and very few riders.

google is your friend... http://www.grca.on.ca/

I prefer to ride the single track, less busy no tards on quads coming through corners sideways either! Sticking to the fire roads and the east forest will get you on more hard packed ground.

I will be back in the GTA this weekend, and am thinking of stopping here for some riding with Ontraio Off-Road folks on the evening ride 4-7 pm. Anyone else going to be in the area and want to ride the single track hard and fast?

My plan (Since I do not know the area) is to trailer to the Training Site (Ontario Off Road Adventures) and get one of the guys to ride guide for me. Worked well a few weeks ago, Being I am a decent rider on my own bike we spent the afternon ripping the trails at a decent clip, was a great work out for this old guy!

I am riding a red 2004 Honda CRF 250X and I am towing it behind my Vmax. Cant miss me!

I'll have to back out then. I don't need to pay for a guide at the ganny. I know my way around in there well enough.

I'll be out there this evening in the singletrack and if you want to shake the guide you are welcome to come along.

Outlaw, drop the guide and ride with Wudzrydr. You will not be disappointed. I'm sure someone on here could post a pic of a parking area, but I would suggest just getting off on Porter Rd. and go right. Just on the other side of the stop sign is the parking area, which is half gravel and half sandish. I think that lot is called P6.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom