forks of the credit | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

forks of the credit

Was up there just Monday at noon and there were no speed bumps.

Do you know the name of the road north of Hockley off Airport? - there is a restaurant at the corner on the NE ( has a big porch ) and a stop light - go left and across towards 10 ( 17 rings a bell but not sure )- lots of up and down and big sweeps - one in particular swoops down and just about a full 180 at speed then up the other side of the moraine - there are 90 degree sweeps at the top on both sides of the small valley.

Good call...i think you might be talking about 10 Sideroad- North of 89? Not sure about the restaurant or the lights though? From what i remember- that is a nice smooth road as well?
I love how we went from a 7 minute ride through the Forks to an afternoon country tour...hahah
I've mapped out a route that is (sort of?) close to what has been described here. Anyone want to add/change/recommend alterations?
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Caledon-Mono-Mulmur-Creemore-Dundalk-Shelburne
Thinking i'd like to go for a boot along this as soon as a get some time away from work.

Good call...i think you might be talking about 10 Sideroad- North of 89? Not sure about the restaurant or the lights though? From what i remember- that is a nice smooth road as well?
I love how we went from a 7 minute ride through the Forks to an afternoon country tour...hahah
I've mapped out a route that is (sort of?) close to what has been described here. Anyone want to add/change/recommend alterations?
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Caledon-Mono-Mulmur-Creemore-Dundalk-Shelburne
Thinking i'd like to go for a boot along this as soon as a get some time away from work.

Yeah, that is 10 Sideroad, second north of 89; it runs west from Airport Road at the traffic signals in Mansfield. There is a restaurant on the north east corner, a gas station on the south east corner and a store / LCBO / Beer Store on the north west corner. Nice long sweepers and great views of the countryside to the south from just east of the big drop into the river valley. You can turn right at Prince of Wales (Highway 10) and head north to River Road to cut out the boring part over to 124.

Your route includes most of my usual run when I need to clear my head. Check out Riverside Drive, which runs north from the Creemore Road. It runs up to Sideroad 15 / 16. Go west on that to Glen Huron where you can pick up Nottawasaga Road. Turn left and follow that back down to Dunedin where you can turn left and continue back into Creemore. I toss that loop in every time and it only takes another 15 minutes or so.

Up to this point you were doing great and if you have gone this far you might as well turn right in Horning's Mills and continue north on 124 to Maple Valley. Turn right there and follow that road over to Creemore. It is one of my favourites up this way and I find it far more entertaining than The Forks.

when I check the map I think you mean "that road to Creemore" is Louisa St., thanks everyone, now more routes on my list :D

when I check the map I think you mean "that road to Creemore" is Louisa St., thanks everyone, now more routes on my list :D

The road from Maple Valley to Creemore via Dunedin is County Road 9 at the point where it intersects with 124. For some reason that portion is not labelled on Google Maps, but the sign is visible on the street view. The part over in Creemore is called Louisa Street, so if you are going east to west that is the road you want.

It is about 40kms to Creemore from my house in Orangeville. IF, I just head out Hockley and go straight up Airport. A lunch ride to Creemore usually takes me about 200kms round trip, sticking with the paved roads. After years of zig zagging all the paved roads between Orangeville and Creemore, I discovered that the real fun is had trying to take almost any of the north/south roads. The east west roads are fun, but they mostly run through the valleys or along the ridges. The north/south roads have lots of technical switchbacks and sketchy road conditions. I loved it when I use to try to see if that unassumed road actually goes through to the next line. Hardly any of the north/south roads, that run up between Airport and Hwy 10/Hwy 124 are paved.

The road from Maple Valley to Creemore via Dunedin is County Road 9 at the point where it intersects with 124. For some reason that portion is not labelled on Google Maps, but the sign is visible on the street view. The part over in Creemore is called Louisa Street, so if you are going east to west that is the road you want.
CR 9 into Creemore is one of my favorite roads.

Yeah a case for a dual sport tho I regularly wander the dirt roads on the Burgman which is decent on them as long as not wet or deep gravel.
There are some reallllllly nice roads in the area and does add to the fun to explore off the pavement.

Yeah a case for a dual sport tho I regularly wander the dirt roads on the Burgman which is decent on them as long as not wet or deep gravel.
There are some reallllllly nice roads in the area and does add to the fun to explore off the pavement.
I first explored the ALL the roads around here with my Ural. But then it got replaced by Stupid (my Bumble Bee coloured FZ1). And I have been on almost all the same roads with the FZ1. They were all interesting in their own ways, but some of them are just too dicey to try more than once. :D The FZ1 doesn't have the low end torque and is geared to high to really do much downhill rock climbing. Uphill, no problem. It is just downhill that gets to me.

Yeah some of the downhill turns are white knuckle - the worst was meeting a grader on one of the steeper hills - I think he was more scared than me....could see the whites of his eyes. Luckily I was going uphill.

I;m staying off until my should heals - just have too poor throttle/brake control with the right hand even tho the Burgie is very forgiving.
I still don't 100% trust the ABS on dirt despite assurances when I tried the BMW 800 that I could happily use nothing but downhill on sand....that reallly required more trust in tech than I was will to undertake.

As it was I dumped the damn thing after forgetting it had a clutch.
Was okay after I remembered that little detail.

I still think it's a good exercise for all riders to get off pavement.

Well I have had the chance to ride the Forks of the Credit this season and I will agree with a few comments about there being better roads out there. Just last week a nice ride from Orangeville up Hockley Valley Road turning north on Highway 50 into Alliston. The Tim Hortons is always good for a quick stop...coffee and a blueberry fritter.... than back down to the same Hockley in the other direction...

To change up the ride a bit, at Hockley Valley Resort (Side Rd 3 I think it was) turn left and follow it down to Highway 9. Left turn on Highway 9 and down St Andrews. The best stop is at the side of the road to take a photo of the escarpment right at the St Andrews Golf and Country Club.... What a view. Puts any thoughts of the forks right at the back of your head.

The entire area of The Gorge or Boston Mills Road, Old Base Line Rd.... all very nice and the best part of the Headwater Hills.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe out there....

There's a steep gravel incline really close to the forks where I got myself into some big trouble a while ago (might've been last year, but I think it was the year before).

Can't remember the name, but it's a narrow road with a steep incline. I was going up on a 450lb touring bike and was thinking "Okay, this is bad, but this is straight - I'll be fine as long as I don't let up and keep it straight."

Problem was, there were surprise ruts filled with loose gravel and they got worse and worse as I went up. Finally as I got about 2/3rds of the way up the hill, the bike started slipping out from under me. If I'd dropped it there, I might've found myself and the bike tumbling down a good 300 meters of gravel incline. Luckily, I was still going slow enough that I was able to stop myself and get the kickstand down, but I was now stuck. I got off the bike and my brilliant plan was to slowly handle it back down the hill (I am not a big guy!), which would have taken me hours (I had to hold it back to prevent it just wildly smashing down the hill), but I had a second stroke of luck and a fellow in an older model BMW boxer stopped and helped me get it turned around so I could actually ride down the hill.

Props to whoever that guy was!

Last edited:
^ That sounds suspiciously like the gravel portion of the Grange Sideroad between Creditview and McLaughlin - or possibly McLaren near the junction with Grange. I've been through there in my car and wouldn't want to try it with a motorcycle with street tires. I suspect that the (very rich) horse community around there wants to keep it that way.

I study Google Maps to find interesting roads. Although you end up at a lot of gravel roads/dead ends. And most of the time, I can't even remember the names of the roads I was on!
This was my problem with cruising around Guelph area for fun. I'd turn down a random road and 80% of the time it turned into a gravel, pot hole-filled, crap trail.

Didn't know Guelph Line was considered a good riding road. I mean, I enjoyed it more than most other roads but I assumed there must be better roads I'm missing out on.

Whoever suggested Maple/hy 9 North of Shelburne, that is a neat little road. Thanks for mentioning it.

The sign for it is down when heading Northbound on 124/24 so I passed it but I was a neat little run. Any coffee shops in the town there?

Thanks for the input everyone.
For anyone interested-
New map created- cuts out boring stuff before River Rd, added the Riverside Drive/Dunedin detour (thanks Malks), and shortened it up a little near the end.
Map now starts at the Forks and winds back and forth through most of the popular motorcycle roads in the region- ending up in Shelburne. Really nice ride if you have a few hours to spare.
http://www.motowhere.com/maps/route/Forks-to-Hockley-to-Mono-to-River-Rd-to-Creemore-to-Shelburne

The sign for it is down when heading Northbound on 124/24 so I passed it but I was a neat little run. Any coffee shops in the town there?

There are no big chain type coffee shops in Creemore, but there are a couple of nice cafes. Affairs Bakery and Cafe is quite good and there are a couple of other places in town where you could find some food and a coffee. You could also check out the Creemore Springs Brewery, should that be your interest.

Back
Top Bottom