Why did I get a ticket? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why did I get a ticket?

I think you'll be able to fight the ticket easily. As for the insurance situation, no one will cover your bike. The bad thing about getting that ticket is your insurance company will see it as an at fault accident, regardless of if you get the ticket beat in court. But when you do beat it in court, make sure to get a transcript from the court to show the insurance company. Telling them on the phone that the ticket was thrown out will not cut it. I've been through this. The insurance company needs to see a transcript which shows the cop was wrong, any other reason for the ticket being beat they don't care about. The cop screwed you by giving you that ticket. You never should of got it. No car in your position would have received a ticket. And it has nothing to do with the parked cars. It was two lanes through in the intersection regardless.

Get some detail of the intersection this happened at. For example, the lane the cars were parked in, was there a "no parking here to intersection" sign posted about 20' before the intersection? That sign creates a full two lane situation through the intersection.

His insurance should pay for your bike. The cop already mentioned who's fault it was.

You don't deserve that ticket, bs

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Ticket Say's "Pass on right, not in safety h.t.a. sec.150(1) $110.-

150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

I was in my own lane, not passing on right, oh well

I'm pretty sure the (young) cop said that the car driver was at fault for the accident, he just wanted to hate on me I think, he spent 4 hours talking to the driver while I was at the hospital so I'm pretty sure they built some sort of rapport over this time. Not sure What ticket exactly he got though.

I'm definitely going to court, what an ***.

Last edited:
Psst. I'm female. ;) But yeah, I don't know if there's any real law against filtering but from what I've gathered, no two vehicles are supposed to occupy the same lane at once and you can be ticketted for that, depending on the cop. Of course it's also dangerous. Bicycles are not motorized vehicles tho, so that's not really valid in this case. Motorcyclists already have a bad rap for being aggressive and 'speeding', doing something wrong... why add to that stigma by filtering or lane splitting? (Filtering is not the same as lane splitting)

Hey,

I should have read your username better, next time.

P.S. I figured out the return problem, you just click on the first tab in the Quick Reply command bar (the A/A) and that allows you to return your sentences and separate them....gosh, I'm a genius!

Best,

The Danforth is the exception to the rule especially once you reach further down east of Pape where the curb lane is really wide enough to allow for parked vehicles and driving vehicles. If he was riding in the curb lane and the buddy was making a left from the left lane then this shouldn't be the case and should've have gotten the ticket and think you should fight it.

Hey,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Ticket Say's "Pass on right, not in safety h.t.a. sec.150(1) $110.-

150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

I was in my own lane, not passing on right, oh well

I'm pretty sure the (young) cop said that the car driver was at fault for the accident, he just wanted to hate on me I think, he spent 4 hours talking to the driver while I was at the hospital so I'm pretty sure they built some sort of rapport over this time. Not sure What ticket exactly he got though.

I'm definitely going to court, what an ***.

How do you know he spent 4 hours talking to the other driver? You were at the hospital?

And to the insurance company you are at fault simply because you hot a ticket. And the other driver will be in the same boat with his insurance company.

And to the insurance company you are at fault simply because you hot a ticket. And the other driver will be in the same boat with his insurance company.

Bummer, I hope you are wrong!

I guess I'll find out right. I'll update this thread when I know something.

I think you'll be able to fight the ticket easily. As for the insurance situation, no one will cover your bike. The bad thing about getting that ticket is your insurance company will see it as an at fault accident, regardless of if you get the ticket beat in court. But when you do beat it in court, make sure to get a transcript from the court to show the insurance company. Telling them on the phone that the ticket was thrown out will not cut it. I've been through this. The insurance company needs to see a transcript which shows the cop was wrong, any other reason for the ticket being beat they don't care about. The cop screwed you by giving you that ticket. You never should of got it. No car in your position would have received a ticket. And it has nothing to do with the parked cars. It was two lanes through in the intersection regardless.

I think you are wrong.

Insurance determines fault based solely on their own fault determination rules. And if that guy was making a left turn, from what I read before, even if a meteor was coming down with Godzilla chasing you, if you make a left turn and crash you are 100% at fault. If the other driver is at fault, his insurance must cover for all damages done to the OP.

OP, I think you are good based on what you've told us.

How do you know he spent 4 hours talking to the other driver? You were at the hospital?

Because he said he will bring my papers to me after he cleared the accident and spoke with witnesses, I'm assuming he did not go for dinner while he had my wallet!

I think you are wrong.

OP, I think you are good based on what you've told us.

I guess we will know for sure soon, I'll post what happens when it does.

Thanks

ps I can't sleep thinking about this cop, "You should have stopped when you saw the guy in the left lane stop"!

Last edited:
I guess we will know for sure soon, I'll post what happens when it does.

Thanks

ps I can't sleep thinking about this cop, "You should have stopped when you saw the guy in the left lane stop"!

honestly man...just take a deep breath, write everything down about the accident and what happened, where you were, where you were going etc... Then focus on getting better, don't worry about the cop. You have a good little while before that comes up, main thing for you is getting better! Then worry about the bike, and the cop and all the insurance crap that's coming along with it. If you've never been through the insurance ringer before...it's a ***** depending on your adjuster.

You def. need your rest, GWS

Sorry if it's been said, but I didn't notice it. I know you said you were driving in the lane with parked cars right? Was there a white line indicating two separate lanes? Or were you just riding next to parked cars?

油井緋色;2005657 said:
If the other driver is at fault, his insurance must cover for all damages done to the OP.

No fault insurance has been in affect in Ontario since 1990. No one is fixing his bike if he didn't have his own collision coverage.

And if the OP was given a ticket for pass on right not in safety, his insurance company will see it as fault. And so will the car drivers insurance, that guy will also have an at fault on his insurance record.

Get well soon, it will all sort out. But it's up to you to stay on top of it. Record everything.

Just to clear up "no fault". It used to be the other insurance company paid out to you for damages if their client was @ fault. Now you only deal with your own insurance company, they go after the other drivers company if they choose to.

If you do NOT have collision and you have an accident here are some possibilities.

1) Other drivers 100% at fault. You get the damage fixed by your insurance company it is included under your minimum coverage. No your rates will not increase for a not at fault claim.
2) 50/50 fault, not a 100% sure here
3) You are 100% at fault, you pay all damages.

Last edited:
Hey .... someone on GTAM that actually understands insurance... almost.

Do NOT listen to police about "fault". THEY DO NOT KNOW.
If your insurance company is signatory to the "fault chart" (they all are) your fault in a collision will be decided using the following "fault determination rules"
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900668_e.htm

From what I have read I would look at 12(5).
Talk to your insurance agent, he/she should know, not GTAM, they don't know.

Hey .... someone on GTAM that actually understands insurance... almost.

Do NOT listen to police about "fault". THEY DO NOT KNOW.
If your insurance company is signatory to the "fault chart" (they all are) your fault in a collision will be decided using the following "fault determination rules"
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900668_e.htm

From what I have read I would look at 12(5).
Talk to your insurance agent, he/she should know, not GTAM, they don't know.

Thanks for the link. Until I had my accident (other driver 100% @ fault, me no collision) I had no idea I was covered for damages with my insurance. So my #1 point and 3# are on the only ones i know 100%. Fault determination rules I had no idea existed.

I agree 100% that the OP should contact their broker/ins company for actual answers.

Back
Top Bottom