Why did I get a ticket? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why did I get a ticket?

krrakt

Hey everyone, So I crashed into a car making a left turn from the oncoming direction. I'm pretty sure I did nothing wrong and the car driver was at fault according to the cop. But he also said that I was partially at fault and gave me a ticket for an improper pass on the right. here is what happened. I was going East on Danforth in the curb lane between the parked cars and the dividing line to the inside lane. The traffic was stop and go and I was going about 20, the car to my left and a few car lengths ahead of me stopped to let a car make a left turn in front of him. I didn't see the car until he was right in front of me and he was making his left when I hit him. My bike is totaled for sure and I don't have collision insurance so I'm not sure what will happen there. So the cop came to the hospital and told me that the car guy was at fault and proceeded to tell me that I should have stopped when I saw the car in the lane to my left stop, and that's the reason for the ticket! I can't believe that a car stopping beside you is like a red light and you are supposed to stop? Now, I have NO bike, a bunch of broken bones and a TICKET! I was not passing on the right, I was in my own lane! I believe this to be correct. Would someone shed some light on this for me please and also will I get any money for my bike since it was not my fault? Thanks. ps sorry for the run on sentences, this site will not let me return paragraphs. Alex

Fight it although kinda common sense to expect a car to pass given that all other car has stopped. Are they a red light?no but it's still your responsibility to be aware of your surroundings and the way you described it, it was expected that the other cars were letting another through.

the cage should have made sure it was clear before turning they should not take another cagers word on it being clear , I say fight the ticket and if hes at fault for the accident then his insurance will cover your motorcycle

Fight the ticket.

Fight the ticket. I believe you had right of way and the cop is incorrect. There are many times when the left lane traffic is stopped and the curb lane traffic proceeds. Such happens when someone in the left lane wants to turn left but there is oncoming traffic. What happens in the left lane is not as important as piloting your vehicle in your lane, and as best you saw, your lane was clear to proceed.

As a rider, it is a clear red flag when the left lane is stopped. I slow down a lot and if I see a break in traffic in the left lane, I honk my horn to warn a possible left turner. This won't stop them from turning but may give them a warning.

Just because a cop gave you a ticket does not mean you are in error. A judge will determine this.

Wow that sucks and glad to see you ok enough to be typing on the forum!

Thanks, Yes the cage did get a ticket. The cop said he would have given him a dangerous driving ticket but just gave him an unsafe left turn ticket and deemed him to be at fault! The cop said that I was 49% at fault while he was 51% at fault. I felt strongly that I did nothing wrong and will fight the ticket for sure, I just didn't want to start arguing with him in the hospital. I got off pretty well this time, couple broken ribs shattered #5 metacarpal in my right hand which needed major re-set. Scrapes and bruises, mostly on my sternum, abdomen and leg. I was in a car accident which I posted about here, I was 100X worse off but I was also going much faster, also not my fault. I'm super happy to hear I'll likely get some cash for my bike, hope you are right! ps. Why on earth can't I return paragraph to make a space between my sentences?

Great advice, I will indeed honk my horn in the future in these circumstances. Traffic in the inner lane was stop and go I wish I had sensed something but I did not. Usually I can predict what cars might do up ahead of me but I had no clue this guy was even there. I'm so bummed I won't be riding for a bit.

I'm not sure if you deserve a ticket or not but, I've been nearly killed in two different ways. First, while traveling in the curb lane along stopped traffic in the left lane, a vehicle quickly jumped into the curb lane and had me making a decision between becoming a door knocker on the passenger door or telephone pole notice. Thankfully, I had anticipated the possibility, was slowing and was ready to brake.

The second was as described from the OP. However, someone in the left lane was waving the oncoming vehicle's driver to go ahead and make the left hand turn in front of them without considering there is curb lane traffic.

Near miss both times. It still gives me the shivers when th situation happens. Even when I'm in the cage.

I was going East on Danforth in the curb lane between the parked cars and the dividing line to the inside lane. The traffic was stop and go and I was going about 20, the car to my left and a few car lengths ahead of me stopped to let a car make a left turn in front of him.

So, essentially, you were lane splitting in the lane that was shared by parked cars? If I'm not mistaken, you can be ticketted for 'sharing' the lane even though the cars are parked. It's considered lane splitting. =(

What the hell is an 'improper pass on the right' !!!!

That's complete BS from the cops. Did u get any witness??

Only thing I can think of that u might be ding for is 'filtering' if they considered the park cars to have occupied a lane.

But I think u are definitely have the right of way. The person making a left is mostly at fault. Even if someone going through a yellow close to a red straight, thr guy making the left is always at fault.

So, essentially, you were lane splitting in the lane that was shared by parked cars? If I'm not mistaken, you can be ticketted for 'sharing' the lane even though the cars are parked. It's considered lane splitting. =(
Ya bro, I was sharing a lane with parked cars. Not in between the two lanes. To my understanding this is completely legal for a motorcycle, the same as a car can share a lane with a bicycle, Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The cop would have given me a ticket for lane splitting as there were many witnesses and the story was pretty well the same from all of us except the driver saying that I was speeding! lol!

Ya bro, I was sharing a lane with parked cars. Not in between the two lanes. To my understanding this is completely legal for a motorcycle, the same as a car can share a lane with a bicycle, Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The cop would have given me a ticket for lane splitting as there were many witnesses and the story was pretty well the same from all of us except the driver saying that I was speeding! lol!

Psst. I'm female. ;) But yeah, I don't know if there's any real law against filtering but from what I've gathered, no two vehicles are supposed to occupy the same lane at once and you can be ticketted for that, depending on the cop. Of course it's also dangerous. Bicycles are not motorized vehicles tho, so that's not really valid in this case. Motorcyclists already have a bad rap for being aggressive and 'speeding', doing something wrong... why add to that stigma by filtering or lane splitting? (Filtering is not the same as lane splitting)

It's not lane splitting and it's legal. But as I said in another post regarding riding in the lane with parked cars officers might not see it that way even though it's legal.

Now it's up to the court to decide whether it was legal or not. I wish you all the best in your recovery and speedy health.

It's not lane splitting and it's legal. But as I said in another post regarding riding in the lane with parked cars officers might not see it that way even though it's legal.

Now it's up to the court to decide whether it was legal or not. I wish you all the best in your recovery and speedy health.

Not sure I understand what he was doing but if you pass a car on the right it must be signalling it's intent to turn left otherwise the default ticket is passing to the right not in safety.Basically if you pass on the right and get into accident in another vehicles lane and or paved curbside your at fault much like a left tun.If the car he passed wasn't turning the OP has a problem as the pass was not made in safety plus the car he was passing was not turning.See section (1)this puts the onus on right hand passer at all times regardless of circumstance.

Passing to right of vehicle - 150.

(1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

Last edited:
yes you seem correct. Forgot about left lane is for passing rule with all the slow bandits hogging it these days. Right lane for slow drivers but doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Great advice, I will indeed honk my horn in the future in these circumstances.

I personally wouldn't do that as the oncoming traffic could confuse it as the car to your left honking at them to tell them to go.

Incorrect.
If the cars are parked you have the right to ride in that lane if you fit.

Sorry to hear that... Hope you have a quick recovery.

As far as driving on a lane where there are parked cars, that is ILLEGAL. It's something that they teach on your m2 weekend course.

Still, it pisses me off that there are so many laws protecting bicycles and pedestrians, but not to motorcycle.

But I would still fight it!

Back
Top Bottom