M2-exit Test Burlington road route? | GTAMotorcycle.com

M2-exit Test Burlington road route?

What if there is an accident or construction? The route will change. Be confident with your skills and you will be fine.

M2-exit Test Burlington road route?

Just did my M exam couple of days ago in Burlington.

Route:
1. Left out of plaza
2. Continue on North Service Road (They will make you change lanes to the left and you have to change back to the right lane without them asking)
3. Right turn on connector ramp towards Guelph Line then right on Guelph line
4. QEW to Walkers Line exit
5. QEW Back to Guelph line exit
6. North on Guelph Line
7. Left on Mr Forest Dr
8. You will do the Road side stop here. This is also a school zone.
9. Right on Mountain side Dr
10. Left on Homewood Dr
11. Right on Industrial St
12. Right on North Service Road all the back to test centre.

Good luck!

Just did my M exam couple of days ago in Burlington.

Route:
1. Left out of plaza
2. Continue on North Service Road (They will make you change lanes to the left and you have to change back to the right lane without them asking)
6. North on Guelph Line
7. Left on Mr Forest Dr
8. You will do the Road side stop here. This is also a school zone.
10. Left on Homewood Dr
12. Right on North Service Road all the back to test centre.

Good luck!

Exact same route I just did June 29th 2016

Watch for tire tracks including through the curves and keep your head on a swivel. I got 12 ticks out of 25 I think to fail, North service road is only 60 but the traffic moves at around 80 usually so really watch your speed out of the gate. Also no changing gears in the intersection.

Just did my M2 Exit in Burlington today July 20, 2016. The route posted is very similar to the one I did today with 2 very minor changes.

The examiner was pretty straight forward even though the earpiece was crap. Watch out for blocking positions. Their are a lot of great resources on this msg board of tire track positions that I read.

Route:
1. Left out of plaza (right tire track of the left lane ---> turn into right tire track and make a right lane change)
6. North on Guelph Line
7. Left on Mr Forest Dr
8. Left on Nottingham Ave. You will do the Road side stop here. (Shoulder check, signal, shoulder check, pullover, four-ways, neutral, kickstand down, get off the bike, reverse)
10. Left on Pettit Rd
12. Right on North Service Road all the back to test center.

The guy before me didn't pass because he didn't reach high enough speed on the highway when merging. He didn't get over 100kms. Could have been the rented dirt bike he was riding but not sure. Some guy was renting his beater dirt bike to a few people doing the test. ($100 a pop) Anyways, thanks for your posts, it really helped me in preparing for the test.

Happy riding to everyone!

Last edited:
So sad these threads exist . I see them on other boards all the time . If you can't do a test without prior knowledge of the route . You don't deserve a liscence . It's this type of stuff that lowers the driving/riding skills from year to year .

Haha agreed, just blindly did the Burlington test and it was a breeze yet this woman who "rode 20 years ago in her homeland (Eastern Europe)" and picked it back up the past few years and obsessed over knowing the route failed. I think it either makes you overconfident or you're just thinking too much instead of letting them instruct you.

I know someone who failed BECAUSE they knew the expected route but the examiner changed it during the test. The new driver was expecting to be asked to turn but the examiner decided to turn at the next intersection. The testee straddled the lanes and promptly failed the test. This was in a car, but a prime example of how prior knowledge of the test can jinx you.

I know someone who failed BECAUSE they knew the expected route but the examiner changed it during the test. The new driver was expecting to be asked to turn but the examiner decided to turn at the next intersection. The testee straddled the lanes and promptly failed the test. This was in a car, but a prime example of how prior knowledge of the test can jinx you.

Agreed. It may make some people feel comfortable going in, and in that case I think that's a positive. IF, however, you can't just relax and listen to the instructions, there is a potential for a huge distraction.

When I'm testing, I give the instructions when appropriate. For the highway sections it's well in advance (up to and including the early part of the entry ramp) and no talking on the highway. For left and right turns throughout the test, I want to ensure that previous manoeuvre was completed - including the mirror checks afterward - before I give the next instruction. Furthermore, I may be watching for the rider to see a specific hazard up ahead, so I many not give a direction that would start them reacting to my direction when I was actually waiting to see something else. If the rider is anticipating the turn, they may miss the proper completion of the previous marked component of the test.

Missing a turn is not an error. Every turn requires the same approach, turn and completion. Why does knowing the route matter? What you need to know is there are:
4 left turns
4 right turns
2 through intersections
2 stop intersections
2 residential sections
2 business sections (with lane changes in each)
2 highway sections (with lance changes in each)
2 curves
1 roadside stop.

No. Wait. I've overstated it. You need to know that you will ride around in residential and business areas and go on the highway. That's it.

what i had trouble was actually hearing what the instructors was saying through the single ear piece which was tape to my ear. maybe it would had helped if i had plugged the other ear.
one more thing watch your speed in the school zone( there is a radar that clocks you speed)

sux you Ontarians have to use an ear piece. Here the test is done using a vest with a speaker on it. Can hear the tester fine.

One tip. Put a couple lines of tape down the back/rear of helmet. Makes your head movements more noticeable.

I think knowing the route was helpful for me when I tested.

The issue in my opinion is not rider capability, it is that the test method requires deliberate movements of the head that are unnatural and not representative of how someone naturally rides on a daily basis.

So knowing the route familiarizing myself with the "hazards" allowed the deliberate moves to be practised.

I believe a riders capability and comfort in a bike is easily identified and not something can be faked by knowing the route.

I question however the M2 exit program at several schools, feels like a pay to pass scenario.

I felt the M1 program was great and really got me going down the correct path but the M2 program just doesn't sit with me...I think it is because they actually run the testing.

My belief is that the M2 program should re affirm all the skills but the test should still be performed by the MTO. I did a similar thing when I got my G2 by taking a hour with a instructor the day before my test.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think knowing the route was helpful for me when I tested.

I question however the M2 exit program at several schools, feels like a pay to pass scenario.

I felt the M1 program was great and really got me going down the correct path but the M2 program just doesn't sit with me...I think it is because they actually run the testing.

Thoughts?

Yes, several. I'll share a couple, but let me start with a couple of questions.
1) Why do question M2 Exit program at "several schools" - Have you sampled many? or did you mean, as implied by the pay-to-pass comment that you simply question the validity of testing?
2) If you are questioning the validity of testing, where did you get your M2? Didn't the school where you did your basic rider training administer the test at the end of the course? If so, why would it be valid for an M1 Exit but not M2 Exit? Getting the M2 allowed you out on the road for 5 years with only ONE restriction. M2 Exit removes the restriction. Why would one of those powers be granted to a Recognized Authority ("RA", an MTO term) and not the other?

There will be distinct differences in the feel, or delivery of different programs, but under the Driver Certification Program (DCP) of the MTO, ALL approved courses must contain specific subject matter and minimum training times. Testing is done by certified examiners that undergo the same training as DriveTest examiners. In fact, until the end of 2014, MTO ran the training for all of the Recognized Authorities (all the schools, including police training). The training program was run by a Lead Instructor (MTO) and several trainers - all of which were or had been Signing Authorities (instructors that can test) at a Recognized Authority. This training was conducted spring and autumn almost every year, at the expense of the MTO. As you can imagine, it got expensive and as part of an overhaul the new DCP requires that the Recognized Authorities conduct the training, and there are very specific requirements for the training and the qualifications for the Lead Instructor, In-vehicle trainers, and Demo Riders. Initially, there were only a couple dozen people in Ontario that met the qualifications. Now there are more, which will make it more efficient as each RA gets more senior people trained for the in-vehicle and demo riding positions. As it stands now, there are only a handful of active instructors in Ontario in the RA system that are qualified as Lead Instructors.
Don't forget, DriveTest conducts most of the tests, not MTO. The training and oversight is the same for examiners. In fact, at DriveTest, there is no requirement that the person administering an M2 Exit test actually have an M license or have ever even ridden a motorcycle.

With respect to the "unnatural feel" of the head movements, a lot of that is based on these threads, and the advice to just keep your head moving. The actual marking criteria for the test is that the examiner observes head movement where there should be. You can't check a blind spot without moving your head. You only have to check it once, and you have to do it before executing the turn. You can't (or shouldn't) be doing a proper scan of traffic without moving your head. Again, you do it once at the correct time.
The only real issues are the mirror checks and properly identifying hazards. You can see as you approach a crosswalk whether there are pedestrians there without moving your head - but if your head doesn't move, then the examiner doesn't know you looked. There are 12 predetermined hazards on the test. If you missed everyone of them, you wouldn't yet be halfway to a fail. As for mirrors, again the examiner can't see if you looked at your mirrors without looking for head movement. So for about 25 minutes, when you look at your mirror, move your head a bit! It's not about being a bobblehead, it's about a little bit of movement to confirm you looked.
The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go to the rider. I don't know why people put tape on their helmet to help the examiner.
To mark a demerit point, I have to watch specifically for your head to move at the right time, and be certain it didnt'. If I'm not sure, it's not an error.
There are several benefits to taking a program - such as learning and understanding the rationale behind the M2 Exit test requirements rather than how to fool the examiner for 25 minutes. Learning how the test was developed, instead of believing it's a bunch of MTO bull can also be helpful, (even if it's just to understand that freakish head movement is not one of the requirements).
If you're really just concerned about the testing, or the potential pay-to-pass conflict: I was audited many times, sometimes twice a year, over a period of about 18 years (until the 2014 season when procedures changed). We were consistently told that we were generally MORE stringent in our application of the marking criteria. It wasn't just us, it was most of the Recognized Authorities. Why? Because we trained the students. We explained the reasons for what they were doing. We coached them to look for certain things, and to prepare for and react to certain things. We've observed them for several hours during training. When they make an error, we know it's an error. Scores should be low - not because we have a vested interest in keeping them low, but because they had the benefit of training.

by the way, we don't tell our riders the test route in advance.

I always practice riding a route in a new area before actually riding there.

Do find the stress of the practice makes the actual ride less distracting and safer, more relaxed? It sounds brilliant, I'm considering trying this out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom