First 1000km service ... and a real shock | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First 1000km service ... and a real shock

Bike dealership use "by the book" times, in order to figure their total charges. If the book says that it's a 2 hour job then they charge 2 hours, even if it took one. On the flipside they'll also charge two hours if it took 3.
Rob, this is incorrect, if it takes them longer, they add a miscellaneous service code to the repair order and explain the reason why it took them longer (i.e. bolt difficult to remove due to rust..etc) and they charge for the extra labor.

But you are right to say that if it took them 15 min and the book says 1 hr, the customer gets charged the hour.

Third. I was told that a first service on a 13 cbr500r was about 300.00. The service department says im upto about 360.00 so far ... I am effing fuming. Honda head office says to take it up with the mgmt at the dealership .....

They probably upped the quote because you pestered them.

Oh so he should just shut up and keep quiet with the tale between his legs while they keep adding items to his Repair Order?

They probably upped the quote because you pestered them.

I like the sign I've complained to everyone that will listen .... they sent me to the manager ... who is looking into right now

So they brought out the paper that says yes it is 259.00 .. but the paper also says plus parts ... taxes .. blah blah blah ... which is another 100.00???

Manager investigates and he is going to leave it at 300.00 ... like I was quoted ... still. I guess problem solved but buyer beware right?

Anyone have a shop that I can go to from now on ... pretty please?

So they brought out the paper that says yes it is 259.00 .. but the paper also says plus parts ... taxes .. blah blah blah ... which is another 100.00???

Manager investigates and he is going to leave it at 300.00 ... like I was quoted ... still. I guess problem solved but buyer beware right?

http://www.z1cycletech.com/

If you're in scarborough I'd highly recommend Daniel at Heritage Auto!!! http://goo.gl/maps/Yy3UQ

Treats your ish with care, super skilled, bike is cleaner when you get it back than when you brought it in, not even a fingerprint on it.

-Jamie M.

You aren't required, by law, to have the shop do the first service. In fact quite the opposite and they aren't allowed to deny warranty coverage if you do the service yourself, unless they can point to something done (or not done) by you that resulted in damage. Of course it's easier to deal with them if they've done the work, but it isn't necessary.

I know I can do it myself, but I am a network admin, not a mechanic. I am also new to riding so I don't mind paying them to do it. My point was that my dealer puts down on paper what the first service will cost if I choose to bring it back to them. They are completely upfront about the higher cost on the first service. When you sign you are just acknowledging that if you get the service done with them it will be XXXXX amount of $$$, it more for them so people don't complain later on about the higher cost (Again if you get it done with them).

money isn't what it used to be and time flys

They suggest a valve check on the cbr 250 at 1000km too. But only if they can hear something wrong. They blackmail you into the first service stating that no warranty issues will be dealt with unless the bike has a first service. At least it says this for Kawi bikes.

I know I can do it myself, but I am a network admin, not a mechanic. I am also new to riding so I don't mind paying them to do it. My point was that my dealer puts down on paper what the first service will cost if I choose to bring it back to them. They are completely upfront about the higher cost on the first service. When you sign you are just acknowledging that if you get the service done with them it will be XXXXX amount of $$$, it more for them so people don't complain later on about the higher cost (Again if you get it done with them).

Sorry, I had read your post as you were CONTRACTING for them to do the first service, at time of purchase.

I wouldn't make enemies at Ready, there aren't many Honda bike dealerships around anymore. Any seasoned rider knows a first service is just a glorified oil change.
I keep hearing from a very good source, that Honda will be back at some multi-line dealers.....soon. On the top of list.....Kahuna.

Rob, this is incorrect, if it takes them longer, they add a miscellaneous service code to the repair order and explain the reason why it took them longer (i.e. bolt difficult to remove due to rust..etc) and they charge for the extra labor.

No legitimate shop should be doing this. My good friend works at a toyota dealership and just spent 2 1/2 days doing a 4 hour job because of a broken wire, and the customer got billed for 4 hours. While it sucks for the mechanic, they usually get jobs done much faster then what the book quotes so the odd time it takes them longer is just part of the job. If a shop tried to charge me more i'd be filing a formal complaint.

I keep hearing from a very good source, that Honda will be back at some multi-line dealers.....soon. On the top of list.....Kahuna.

Well once all the honda powerhouse dealers go out of business or just back to selling cars they'll have to now wont they lol. What a ridiculous business model in the first place. But the margins are higher! they say....

The only new vehicle I have ever owned was a 98 CBR600. Bought in London at Hully Gully.
I was told I had to get my 1st service done by them and them only....what a crock.
I believed it and took it there.
When I came back to get the bike I caught their tech doing burnouts on my new bike out back.
I lost my mind on the service writer who was defending the tech up and down. He said "oh, and you're never gonna do any burnouts on it?"....as if that was supposed to make it all okay. I told him " I paid for it, I will ruin my own stuff if I want to, but I will ruin it myself, not someone I am paying to maintain my stuff.! Put a new tire on it, and don't be surprised if I am back for a free clutch too!!!"...... I made them put a new tire on it and informed them that I would never be back. That was the 5th bike I had bought there.
I never ever take any vehicle to a shop with a service desk and a service writer. I want to shake greasy hands with the person who is servicing my junk. Mom and pop shops all the way. My bikes go to Platinum Powersports, and have since 98 or 99......never a complaint yet.

Wow, I got burned there too. Used to live in London, I sent my bike there for my first service driving ~170 kms one way. I was new to riding and thought I should bring it to them since I bought it from them. When I returned home the lock nuts on my shifter was replaced by a fu!@#@g zip tie. The lock nut was like 2 bucks!!! I never returned and after that I work on my own bike.

No legitimate shop should be doing this. My good friend works at a toyota dealership and just spent 2 1/2 days doing a 4 hour job because of a broken wire, and the customer got billed for 4 hours. While it sucks for the mechanic, they usually get jobs done much faster then what the book quotes so the odd time it takes them longer is just part of the job. If a shop tried to charge me more i'd be filing a formal complaint.

My thought, exactly, and why I stopped dealing with a certain Chrysler dealership.

Well once all the honda powerhouse dealers go out of business or just back to selling cars they'll have to now wont they lol. What a ridiculous business model in the first place. But the margins are higher! they say....

My understanding is that Brampton Powersports, for example, is essentially a consolidation of the motorcycle business from the car dealerships (plus added stuff) that are owned by the same guy, into a single location.

Ready Honda is now a multi line dealer.
Honda is giving up on the "powersport" idea.

A check of the valve lash is 100% necessary at the first service. (Your ace mechanic MAY be able to hear loose valve lash, but there is no way in hell he can hear tight valve lash. Tight is just as bad as loose. Loose rivets the end of the valve, tight burns the valve and seat).
You can do it yourself, IF you know what you're doing. When it comes to warranty on valves it is very simple to decide if you knew what you were doing, post mortum.

A check of the valve lash is 100% necessary at the first service. (Your ace mechanic MAY be able to hear loose valve lash, but there is no way in hell he can hear tight valve lash. Tight is just as bad as loose. Loose rivets the end of the valve, tight burns the valve and seat).
You can do it yourself, IF you know what you're doing. When it comes to warranty on valves it is very simple to decide if you knew what you were doing, post mortum.

The manual calls for an inspection of the valves at 1,000kms, which means neglecting to have them done can cause some issues down the road if there are any engine related problems that need to be covered by warranty.

In this day and age, and especially considering these bikes are marketed for newer riders it's ridiculous for some manufacturers to expect someone to fork out $300-$500 for a valve inspection.

Back
Top Bottom