First 1000km service ... and a real shock | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

First 1000km service ... and a real shock

If you recorded you putting the white out on, and then recorded you picking up the bike with a gopro (showing you didn't mess with it) and took it apart in the parking lot would that be sufficient to sue them?

I've always wanted to do stuff similar to that, like empty out your fluid to check if they really DID 'top it off' (cause I don't believe they do half the time), etc.

I've always wanted to do stuff similar to that, like empty out your fluid to check if they really DID 'top it off' (cause I don't believe they do half the time), etc.
Did you see that video where they drew a smiley face on their oil filter (car) and drove into quicklube, got an oil change, pulled out into the parking lot and same oil filter was still on car :( They recorded it all on video, they took the new oil filter, in box, under car, you can see them open box, take filter out, pretend to change it and then put the NEW filter back in the box.

-Jamie M.

If you recorded you putting the white out on, and then recorded you picking up the bike with a gopro (showing you didn't mess with it) and took it apart in the parking lot would that be sufficient to sue them?

I wouldn't recommend suing as it's time out of your life, trouble, and money. Instead of that I would recommend checking it immediately after service, perhaps photographing it because camera phones have become so ubiquitous that it's easy, and then talking to the service manager before leaving the shop. In fact I would recommend that, if possible, this all be done before paying. After all it's easier to not give out your money in the first place, rather than trying to get it back after the fact.

Did you see that video where they drew a smiley face on their oil filter (car) and drove into quicklube, got an oil change, pulled out into the parking lot and same oil filter was still on car
icon_sad.gif
They recorded it all on video, they took the new oil filter, in box, under car, you can see them open box, take filter out, pretend to change it and then put the NEW filter back in the box.

-Jamie M.

I stopped going to those quick lube places after some ham handed moron broke a tab off my pickup's air filter cover, because he was too impatient to take it off properly.

Is this a registered honda dealership? I would do as suggested where you mark the valve cover and see if they actually do the work or not. If they dont then i would first talk to the service manager, show him the evidence, and then basically make him give you the world. Free oil changes forever or some such thing. Short of that suing them is worth almost nothing to you, maybe the 300 bucks they charged you, but if you really wanted to do some damage then you file a complaint with honda canada including the evidence you have.

Also someone correct me if im wrong as per bikes but all automotive shops work on piecework. Doing the valves will have a set amount of time that it should take from honda canada, and you pay that amount of hours (as per whatever the shops hourly rate is) regardless of if it takes more or less time.

just too new and they haven't serviced one yet to be able to quote me the amount of time that will be needed to do the valves.

What's the owners manual say? Valves at 1,000 km sounds very fishy.... First service usually oil, filter, lube all the misc. stuff, and check over that nothing serious has come loose. Valve clearances are usually at +20,000 kms!

It's very unlikely that a new HONDA needs a valve check at the first after sales service. I would hazard a guess that if they did one it would involve a tech listening to the bike while it's running, declaring it to sound perfectly in spec, then charging you $300.00 for the privilege.

*EDIT* You know what? I'm going to eat crow on this one. I found the service manual online and it states that a valve inspection is required at 1K Kms. Wow. Just...... wow. It's on page 42.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhQi1Sd1UwZV9NUGc/edit

If you're going to pay for it anyways then I suggest that you put a little bit of White-Out in an inconspicuous location on the valve cover gasket, so that you can check and see if it's broken when you get the bike back. If it is, then they did the work. If it isn't, then they charged you for doing nothing.

Valve check at 1,000 km??? On a Honda?? So goes the illusion of legendary build quality...:(

Is this a registered honda dealership? I would do as suggested where you mark the valve cover and see if they actually do the work or not. If they dont then i would first talk to the service manager, show him the evidence, and then basically make him give you the world. Free oil changes forever or some such thing. Short of that suing them is worth almost nothing to you, maybe the 300 bucks they charged you, but if you really wanted to do some damage then you file a complaint with honda canada including the evidence you have.

Also someone correct me if im wrong as per bikes but all automotive shops work on piecework. Doing the valves will have a set amount of time that it should take from honda canada, and you pay that amount of hours (as per whatever the shops hourly rate is) regardless of if it takes more or less time.

Bike dealership use "by the book" times, in order to figure their total charges. If the book says that it's a 2 hour job then they charge 2 hours, even if it took one. On the flipside they'll also charge two hours if it took 3.

.... unless they don't do the work ayt all, at which point it's pure gravy.

What's the owners manual say? Valves at 1,000 km sounds very fishy.... First service usually oil, filter, lube all the misc. stuff, and check over that nothing serious has come loose. Valve clearances are usually at +20,000 kms!

I posted a link to the owner's manual, that says it gets a valve check at 1000 Km. The next is at 24,000 Km.

The CBR250R needed valves checked at first service too. When I bought mine I had them include first service free, and thankfully they never checked on what that meant until I brought the bike back in for service.

As for why, my gut feeling is the cheaper non-Japanese made bikes don't go through the same inspection leaving the factory, and therefore they 'off-load' this cost onto the buyer when they bring it in at 1,000km. It isn't right, but it is what it is.

About a month ago I checked the valve clearences in the underground parking of my apartment building (likely for the first time ever for the bike). The motorcycle is a 2005 Ninja500 w/21,000kms. The valves needed a bit of adjustment, but they were not all completely out of specification.

A technician at Snow City Cycle suggested he has NEVER seen a Ninaj500 that needed valves adjusted so soon. Typically (depending on various factors) around 30,000kms. Despite the manual suggesting it being checked at first service, he jokingly scoffed and suggested the manufacturer needs to cover all possibilities/circumstances/etc.. with the maintaince schedule.

When I bought my Ninja 250 last year my Bill of Sale had the first service amount listed. It wasn't included but just listed and I had to initial it so there was no argument on either side. I had do sign the same thing this year when I bought my new ZX6r. Think is was $230 with tax or something.

When I bought my Ninja 250 last year my Bill of Sale had the first service amount listed. It wasn't included but just listed and I had to initial it so there was no argument on either side. I had do sign the same thing this year when I bought my new ZX6r. Think is was $230 with tax or something.

You aren't required, by law, to have the shop do the first service. In fact quite the opposite and they aren't allowed to deny warranty coverage if you do the service yourself, unless they can point to something done (or not done) by you that resulted in damage. Of course it's easier to deal with them if they've done the work, but it isn't necessary.

You aren't required, by law, to have the shop do the first service. In fact quite the opposite and they aren't allowed to deny warranty coverage if you do the service yourself, unless they can point to something done (or not done) by you that resulted in damage. Of course it's easier to deal with them if they've done the work, but it isn't necessary.

While that may be true, if you do it yourself there is no proof (receipt from a shop) that the service was actually done and they would likely deny you any related warranty as a result.

As for why, my gut feeling is the cheaper non-Japanese made bikes don't go through the same inspection leaving the factory, and therefore they 'off-load' this cost onto the buyer when they bring it in at 1,000km. It isn't right, but it is what it is.

Thats exactly what i'm thinking. It's not that the bike needs it at 1000 km, they just want them checked for the sake of being able to catch the odd bad one before it explodes. The low CC bikes definitely dont get the same level of attention when it comes to the motor which should come as no surprise. If you buy a chevy cruze it doesn't come with the same level of inspection as a corvette z06.

While that may be true, if you do it yourself there is no proof (receipt from a shop) that the service was actually done and they would likely deny you any related warranty as a result.

They can't, legally, but having proof that you bought the supplies helps.

When I had the 1000km service on my CBR250 the dealership did not do the valve work on the bike, even if the manual says it's needed. I asked them about it and they said it's not needed, and that it's a 4 hr job. The cost for the service was ~$190
I sold that bike at 14k km and it was running like a champ.

Do not .. I repeat .. do not use Ready Honda ... period .. this is the shop located at 430 Hensall circle. Yesterday I called to ask to make an appointment for the work. Service told me that they don't make appointments. I asked if they had time to do my first service to which they replied they could start it yesterday night and it would be finished in the AM.

I called 4 times this morning and nobody answered the phone. So at 12:00 I stopped by and was told they haven't even started. Im currently sitting here until its done.

Im ****** for several reasons. I could have used my bike last night if they weren't starting the service. Second ... when I got ****** today the service guy said ... well we charge less hours then anyone else ... I called north bay where I bought it and the quote was less .... so yeah right buddy!!!

Third. I was told that a first service on a 13 cbr500r was about 300.00. The service department says im upto about 360.00 so far ... I am effing fuming. Honda head office says to take it up with the mgmt at the dealership .....

ill sit and wait ... but im not happy ... and a good screw you ready honda is well in order here!!

I wouldn't make enemies at Ready, there aren't many Honda bike dealerships around anymore. Any seasoned rider knows a first service is just a glorified oil change.

the valve clearance is the labour intensive part ... hopefully not too bad ...
Why do you need to do valve clearance at 1000 km?

Edit: never mind - I wouldn't do it anyways

Last edited:
Do not .. I repeat .. do not use Ready Honda ... period .. this is the shop located at 430 Hensall circle. Yesterday I called to ask to make an appointment for the work. Service told me that they don't make appointments. I asked if they had time to do my first service to which they replied they could start it yesterday night and it would be finished in the AM.

I called 4 times this morning and nobody answered the phone. So at 12:00 I stopped by and was told they haven't even started. Im currently sitting here until its done.

Im ****** for several reasons. I could have used my bike last night if they weren't starting the service. Second ... when I got ****** today the service guy said ... well we charge less hours then anyone else ... I called north bay where I bought it and the quote was less .... so yeah right buddy!!!

Third. I was told that a first service on a 13 cbr500r was about 300.00. The service department says im upto about 360.00 so far ... I am effing fuming. Honda head office says to take it up with the mgmt at the dealership .....

ill sit and wait ... but im not happy ... and a good screw you ready honda is well in order here!!

Well you need to tell them to stop and ask for an actual price before it keeps compounding!!!!

Back
Top Bottom