78 gs750 | GTAMotorcycle.com

78 gs750

silverbullet132

So far, not much done to it. Pulled it out of where it has sat for 15 or so years, and put 2stroke oil in each cyl. Let it sit for a day or 2 then cranked it with the kick starter, not locked up!

Bought a set of carbs for it, and that is where she sits. No spark right now, and a dead starter motor. Just ordered a replacement starter motor and a new front end for it. Will update as I go just wanted to get the thread started.

922584_10151612311443665_1677003142_o.jpg

Cool bike!

My first bike was a 1980 GS750E. If you haven't already found it, look up thegsresources, a great site for the GS models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg5_jG_nrog

Here is a vid of it running, getting gas from a lawnmower gas tank (gs tank is full o' rust)

Only runs with the choke on and dies as soon as throttle is applied. Though it currently has no air filter or air box, what could be the issue aside from getting to much air when the choke is not on?

Pods ordered and am picking them up tomorrow. Hopefully that helps a bunch. Also have no idea what jets are in the carbs, I am assuming they are stock.

It has a 4-1 Supertrapp exhaust on it and not sure about the engine internals.

Got a deal on another engine:

DSC_0294_zps4330a54d.jpg

Needs a rebore and new pistons plus a few small things, got it for $220. What makes it special is that it has yoshimura cams :D

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

One of my favourite old bikes.

Tear into those carbs and clean them.....sounds like idle circuit is gummed up. Probably easier just to buy all new jets.

One of my favourite old bikes.

Tear into those carbs and clean them.....sounds like idle circuit is gummed up. Probably easier just to buy all new jets.

It might just be running like crap because there is no air filters :D

Picking up an air box soon, going to re do the carbs anyway. Have all new o rings for them. Will hold off jetting until I get the new cams swapped in, or does it not matter?

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

Anyone use a 6sigma jet kit?

Thinking to get that as I was told it has a 910 bore + I am adding pods, yosh cams, and changing out the exhaust.

DSC_0288_zps7264b06f.jpg

More parts came in :) slotting them on soon!

Nice project. My buddy just finished his '78. Had been left unloved in a garage for about twenty five years. Just waiting on the safety, then he'll be ready to go.

i1cf12.jpg

Last edited:
Nice project. My buddy just finished his '78. Had been left unloved in a garage for about twenty five years. Just waiting on the safety, then he'll be ready to go.

i1cf12.jpg

His GS looks really nice, I need to get working on mine haha

A 1981 GS650 got me back into motorcycling about 20 years ago.

Some progress today:

1278945_10151864906558665_565497932_o.jpg

1233451_10151864906678665_1888596161_n.jpg

Next is to pull the headers after the penetrating fluid soaks in good, then the engine. Right after that comes out, the swingarm and front end come off and I take the frame to the welders :)

If I remember correctly, there was a design flaw in the regulator/rectifier on these bikes. I replaced mine (as well as coils and cables) when I was getting my GS roadworthy.

If I remember correctly, there was a design flaw in the regulator/rectifier on these bikes. I replaced mine (as well as coils and cables) when I was getting my GS roadworthy.

The R/R is two sep units on this GS, a Regulator and a Rectifier. I am just going to modify the harness to accept a standard R/R, already have to mod it (extending cables, new ignition etc etc)

Finally the engine is out, and this is where I am stuck. I do not have the tool to remove the steering stem nut (the one under the top triple) :( Anyone here have one?

1185264_10151896367523665_1235758266_n.jpg

Finally got it out after a few more wacks with an impact driver :)

1240167_10151898027103665_842312109_n.jpg

Next step, get the subframe chopped off, holes filled, and new one mocked up/installed :D All that crap on the ground came from behind the front sprocket cover lol.

Last edited:

Sadly electrics was not Suzy's strong suit. Running thinner gage wire was a savings that came back to haunt them. Still a classic UJM and a superbike contender when the term was just being coined

Back
Top Bottom