Phone mounts? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Phone mounts?

iPhone5 = Lifeproof case and bike mount.
Installs from Mountain Bike to Cruiser in seconds.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/iphone-5/accessories

I used to have a Lifeproof case and mount for my old iPhone 4. Loved it. Secure and simple one-handed operation.

Does Anyone use the X-Grip by ram mount?

I'm still hesitant on pulling the trigger on one and putting my Note2 in it

This is what I use now. I was hesitant at first too but the X-Grip has been 100% reliable since I bought it a couple years ago. Just make sure you get the correct size for your device. There's a jumbo sized one for phablets that won't work so well with normal sized phones.

I didn't trust the x-grip from Ram for my Note 3, so I ended up designing my own cradle for it (based on my previous iPhone specific cradles) and had it 3D printed. It's going on 2 years old now, and works brilliantly. Don't have any actual pics of it right now, but here's a couple screenshots from Sketchup.

The next phone I get I'll likely do the same thing, but try and incorporate some sort of wireless charger.

I didn't trust the x-grip from Ram for my Note 3, so I ended up designing my own cradle for it (based on my previous iPhone specific cradles) and had it 3D printed. It's going on 2 years old now, and works brilliantly. Don't have any actual pics of it right now, but here's a couple screenshots from Sketchup.

The next phone I get I'll likely do the same thing, but try and incorporate some sort of wireless charger.

Very nice. Where did you take it to be printed and how much did it cost? Did you use the printed part as-is or use it to make a mold?

I use the Ram X Grip on my Iphone 5s with the Lifeproof case, mounted with the Ram fork stem mount. Works great. Phone doesn't budge.

Very nice. Where did you take it to be printed and how much did it cost? Did you use the printed part as-is or use it to make a mold?
I sent it to shapeways in the states. At the time they only shipped ups so I got nailed on the duty. Now I think they ship USPS so it's a little better. Landed cost was just about 100 bucks, but the part itself was only 45ish iirc.

I use the part as is. The little stem up the back I thought might be a little too thin to hold up, but it's worked flawlessly in the car and on the bike, even with the vibes from a v twin.

I sent it to shapeways in the states. At the time they only shipped ups so I got nailed on the duty. Now I think they ship USPS so it's a little better. Landed cost was just about 100 bucks, but the part itself was only 45ish iirc.

I use the part as is. The little stem up the back I thought might be a little too thin to hold up, but it's worked flawlessly in the car and on the bike, even with the vibes from a v twin.
Nice one. I use a RAM mount right now, but a cradle with a wireless charging pad would be awesome. I'm about to order a couple "naked" pads from dx.com

Nice one. I use a RAM mount right now, but a cradle with a wireless charging pad would be awesome. I'm about to order a couple "naked" pads from dx.com

my only issue with wireless charging is the low current. My Note 3 will draw up to 1800mA on a wall or 12v cigarette adapter, but the cheap wireless kit I got from eBay will only do about 600mA, which isn't nearly enough to charge and keep the screen on for gps. It needs at least 1000mA to do that without losing any charge, and 1200mA to charge with the screen on.

my only issue with wireless charging is the low current. My Note 3 will draw up to 1800mA on a wall or 12v cigarette adapter, but the cheap wireless kit I got from eBay will only do about 600mA, which isn't nearly enough to charge and keep the screen on for gps. It needs at least 1000mA to do that without losing any charge, and 1200mA to charge with the screen on.

Yes, thats the problem I think I will be facing too. I have just got the Galaxy S5 - Didnt go for Galaxy S6 as that doesnt have glove mode as far as I can tell..
I have the wired USB plug that was popular a year or two ago from Princess Auto. I believe its only 1amp out (1000mA) . I Have yet to test it on the phone with the cable. This means the Wireless charger will only have that much max to start with.

Did your wireless charger wire directly to the battery/fusebox or to a USB Plug?

I was thinking in the long run, maybe easier to put a USB Charger under the seat and charge a spare battery up while using the phone up front. And then keep swapping them over over the course of a day ride..

Yes, thats the problem I think I will be facing too. I have just got the Galaxy S5 - Didnt go for Galaxy S6 as that doesnt have glove mode as far as I can tell..
I have the wired USB plug that was popular a year or two ago from Princess Auto. I believe its only 1amp out (1000mA) . I Have yet to test it on the phone with the cable. This means the Wireless charger will only have that much max to start with.

Did your wireless charger wire directly to the battery/fusebox or to a USB Plug?

I was thinking in the long run, maybe easier to put a USB Charger under the seat and charge a spare battery up while using the phone up front. And then keep swapping them over over the course of a day ride..
It doesn't matter what you've got it plugged in to as long as it'll supply the minimum that you want. The issue is that qi charging isn't 100% efficient. I've read here and there that it's about 70%, so even if you have something that can supply 2000mA, the most you're going to get is 1400mA

I use a RAM x grip, ride gravel roads on my DR with no issues. Some people add elastic bands for safety.

Ram Mount X Grip for sure. I bought it, have no regrets. Does the job very well- adding a dot of glue to the rubbers might help though, piece of mind wise at least- but I haven't had any issues. I have it mounted to the side of my bike behind the leg shield. 1 Bolt, I can post photos if any one cares to see.

Another notch for Ram mount with X grip. I also have the goPro extension for the Ram mount, no issues.

Ram Mount X Grip for sure. I bought it, have no regrets. Does the job very well- adding a dot of glue to the rubbers might help though, piece of mind wise at least- but I haven't had any issues. I have it mounted to the side of my bike behind the leg shield. 1 Bolt, I can post photos if any one cares to see.

Photos are always nice ?

My $6 ebay hack...wife's old ACE2X

IMG ain't f'in linking. ...

Last edited:
Will that deltran usb adapter do a battery drain if left plugged in or does it have a cutout of some sort?

I'm not sure. But I believe if the device is left plugged in, it will drain the battery.

Use zip ties or something with the X Grip if you're going off-road at least. was with a buddy a couple weekends ago that lost his when the rubber pieces slipped off.

On a side note, don't forget about Find My Phone. We remembered the next day and he was able to log in on my phone and find his.

Use zip ties or something with the X Grip if you're going off-road at least. was with a buddy a couple weekends ago that lost his when the rubber pieces slipped off.

On a side note, don't forget about Find My Phone. We remembered the next day and he was able to log in on my phone and find his.
Glue the damn feet on!!!!

Every negative review you'll see for the x-grip is without the rubber feet glued on. Once those are permanent, he won't have that problem again.

Back
Top Bottom