What can you do about bad drivers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What can you do about bad drivers?

photobiker

What can you actually legally do to get bad drivers off the road? Anyone ever try anything like reporting (other than obv drunks and the like)? Perhaps you did do something not so smart and get a copper at your door...care to share?

I think riders are hyper aware to the crap out there more than the average cager. So at least for me, seeing piggybacks through reds 5 times in a 10 minute drive gets me aggravated...I literally shift attention to people that stop on time...signal...and silently thank them lol.

Soo...I guess... in short what can you do? Or maybe a better question...what could be done to change it all? Petition the parliment??? lol... Just interested to see what experiences are out there I guess in this regard. Wanted to start this thread after reading the one where the guy walked up to the lady on the phone in the parking lot...and really in the end that's kinda the extent I think most of us go to and are met with a "duh..f-u".

Don't you just wanna spike strip some people??? Insurance agents should be able to install idiot devices that rack up charges like the swearing machine in Demolition Man. Which is an AWESOME film. not kidding.

Awesome post man. I would like to have this answered as well. Obviously we can call the police dispatch and let them know but often by the time cops arrive the bad drivers are gone..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gotta fix the root problem: ****** licencing system. basically anyone who can read can get a licence.

It'd also help if police enforced traffic laws other than just speeding.

Until then, carry eggs with you. or pennies.

Legally, you cannot do anything. If you're on your bike, move away and let them be them.
Don't let this road rage continue, or you will soon be in trouble, or probably dead.
I've noticed it's always the "younger" crowd that have these types of aggression. lol
Report drunks if you have to, and that's all you can do.

Anyways, let them be them and sooner or later they will get it.

Best ways to deal with piggybacks and following too close is to turn your head around and look at them.
They will soon slow down. This method always works for me.

What you do is report them. Programmes like Road Watch can help with this:

http://roadwatch.ca/

Of course if you're on a motorcycle it can be difficult to remember a plate long enough to report it when you get home, which is one reason why you run cameras. The second reason is that it provides evidence which could provide evidence to police that you aren't at fault, if one of these morons actually takes you out. The third reason is that you can make idiot video compilations, as a shaming tactic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1azq4l1WFWQ

If you report it to the police and give them enough info, they will either give the person a knock at the door or press charges if you are willing to go to the precinct and make a statement. I do it for cell phone talkers all the time (not every one on a cell phone, just the ones that obviously think their conversation is more important than driving). Simple reporting mechanism here: https://webapp1.torontopolice.on.ca/dors/hit-run.html. This year I've decided to add taxis to my agenda, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel. I've just gotten a camera now and hope to have a youtube of shame someday.

Now I've seen everything.. A portable grinder..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Is there something like this for Mississauga?

If you report it to the police and give them enough info, they will either give the person a knock at the door or press charges if you are willing to go to the precinct and make a statement. I do it for cell phone talkers all the time (not every one on a cell phone, just the ones that obviously think their conversation is more important than driving). Simple reporting mechanism here: https://webapp1.torontopolice.on.ca/dors/hit-run.html. This year I've decided to add taxis to my agenda, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel. I've just gotten a camera now and hope to have a youtube of shame someday.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Could only find the forms you fill in and drop off for some reason.

I think riders are hyper aware to the crap out there more than the average cager. So at least for me, seeing piggybacks through reds 5 times in a 10 minute drive gets me aggravated...I literally shift attention to people that stop on time...signal...and silently thank them lol.
I think anyone that knows how to drive properly notices this. Then again, I know people that ***** about other people's bad driving all the time I then I catch a ride with them somewhere and don't see them touch the turn signals ever.

Some of the worst drivers I see for running red lights, not signalling, and other crappy driving are cops. Not sure what can be done about that. Probably doesn't help the general population become better drivers when the ones enforcing the rules don't even bother.

Unfortunately if we work independently we will not accomplish much. The Road Watch Program is a joke as it doesn't have any teeth. If you could video record the offending driver and fill out the report and have this lead to a charge, that would be something. The Police have told me that the JP will not admit citizen video recording at trial as validity of video cannot be verified unlike Police video.

You can continue to fill out these reports for Road Watch as the calls and letters to the offenders may get a few of them to change; for the most part they will just continue in their ways because they are not the problem, people need to get out of their way.

What may work is if all that are concerned write a short letter to your MPP. This will take more time, but may be the only real solution. Tell them that changes need to be made and try to frame the changes in a way that benefits them such as increasing their probability of being re-elected.

The problem is that you are fighting money, big money. If driving licences become hard to obtain then the developers won't be able to sell GTA fringe properties because cars are needed. It would also affect car and gas sales.

Cell phone bans would cut into the profits of the cell phone companies.

It's easier for the government and insurance companies to make money off the collateral damage.

We live in a world of perverted values. Get used to it.

Looks like you've already given up. I've just started my campaign; unfortunately as you have said (and seem to be right so far) it's an uphill battle. One person probably will have zero affect, but if hundreds (which there are in this forum which is a start) maybe thousands of people in our community combine their resources (their time to start), then the situation can change.

Would you rather have the chaos which is becoming more common each day on our roads? Or maybe would you prefer the actions of the guy in the video with the portable grinder and how he dealt with what he thought were people not driving well?

I have had people submit video evidence of driving offences in the past and I've followed up on them. In most cases the challenge is proving who the driver is, not only what the vehicle was. If someone walked into the office and said, "I have video that shows a driving offence, and it captured the plate and an image of the driver's face" I would be more than happy to view the video and seriously consider laying a charge. The courts would require that the videographer and his video be subject to cross-examination to determine the validity of the video.

It's my job to bring the offender to court, it's the courts job to prosecute. I say leave the lawyering to the lawyers. Why should I decline to lay a charge because they 'might' not be able to prosecute it?

Bring on the video evidence.

Gotta fix the root problem: ****** licencing system. basically anyone who can read can get a licence.

It'd also help if police enforced traffic laws other than just speeding.

Until then, carry eggs with you. or pennies.
I was in lyndsay the other day and it seems thats the place to go to get licenced,lots of gta folks getting tested there.

Thanks for the information regarding video evidence. Will have to get funds to purchase a bunch ofHD Video cameras to get both vehicle and driver, video front of my vehicle andrear.

To the guy commenting on the Lindsey Drivetest Center:welcome to what the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario calls effectiveDriver Examination.

A person can taketheir driving test wherever they wish. Those in the GTA who feel that they are going to have a difficult timepassing their test will attend other Drivetest Centers with much higher passrates; they then bring their lower skills back to GTA.

Looks like you've already given up. I've just started my campaign; unfortunately as you have said (and seem to be right so far) it's an uphill battle. One person probably will have zero affect, but if hundreds (which there are in this forum which is a start) maybe thousands of people in our community combine their resources (their time to start), then the situation can change.

Would you rather have the chaos which is becoming more common each day on our roads? Or maybe would you prefer the actions of the guy in the video with the portable grinder and how he dealt with what he thought were people not driving well?

Where do we draw the line between good, bad and somewhere in the middle?

How many people stop correctly at stop signs? A few percent?

I'm not talking about the runners or roll throughs but proper placement of the vehicle at the point of stop.

What about speeding? If we're going to obey the laws we can't pick and choose.

Think about the 401 and NOBODY goes more than 99.99999 KPH. Of course you are allowed to go slower.

Our laws were based on common sense which we now know has become extinct.

How do we legislate the morality of putting the need to text what you had for lunch over the need for someone else living another day?

How do we teach people to think (Or care) about the consequences of their actions?

Back
Top Bottom