What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app?

I just remembered a few differences. Garmin has unpaved road avoidance. Navigon/Sygic/Copilot don't have unpaved route avoidance. Garmin shows a lot more roads and terrain features at higher zoom. It's a lot easier to find backroads in it.

Last edited:
Any idea how accurate your gps lock is?
Walked outside for a bit and it said 3M accuracy.

2013-04-03-UltiMate_GPS_problem_with_Harrys_LapTimer_jailbreak_blur.png

It said 13 satellites were available so if I had have waited a bit more it prolly woulda had a bit better accuracy.

Accuracy while standing still has no effect on accuracy when moving. Check out this page for crazy info about how GPS accuracy works: http://www.gps-laptimer.de/GPS_and_Accuracy.html

-Jamie M.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have mentioned the one I wrote about before costs 2 bucks. It may not have spoken routes or anything but for offline navigation in a pinch its pretty good.

also is there any app that traces your ride in the background or something, so later you can check where you went

Lately I been using gaia. I thought the lack of voice navigation would be a PITA, but it's not that bad. Building routes in MapMyRide is actually enjoyable. Gaia doesn't have the best interface. I like gpskit and motionx more, but gaia has an option to download the map along the route. In GPSkit and MotionX you have to draw circles or boxes on the map. If it's a big route it's very hard or impossible to select the area along the route.

Worst thing about gaia is the lack of autozoom at speed. You either have to zoom out far to get a good view of the route, or zoom in close to see all the turns. If you zoom in close to see turns, at 100 km/h they are easy to miss.

Really like Garmin on the iPhone.

Just wish I could plot routes on a computer and email/send them somehow.

looks good - too bad it does not have mcycle settings but seems easy to plot points tho I guess avoid Hwys works for mcycle.

For those of us that have Android based phones I'm trying out one called Sygic right now that seems pretty good, has downloadable offline maps(Canada is 500 megs so make sure you have room), voiced directions, points of interests, multiple route suggestions and other features I haven't looked at yet.

yes, the map data and spoken directions are all offline, that's why the Canada file is 500megs, just tested it with the phone in airplane mode.

The app will also give you voice directions even if it's in the background.

it also tells you speed limits and gives you crowd sourced traffic data(and police radars apparently) if available

Here is a list of all the features

http://www.sygic.com/en/android

Last edited:
I use Waze. It is a community-based nav system that uses Google map data incorporated with real-time data from other Waze users on the road, in real time.
This means you get info about traffic, police, hazards, rain etc. from someone just ahead of you on the route, in real time. All the other nav apps use MTO traffic data, which is outdated by the time you see it. I use it with audio only.
At the start of a trip, it gives you multiple route options, based on the traffic data at that time. It will re-route if traffic is spotted ahead.

This is pretty essential to drive in and out of the GTA. Uses less data than Google maps.

Back
Top Bottom