What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app?

Ramtin

hi guys,

i've been looking everywhere but i can't find a good app to do this!

It would be amazing to get something like MapQuest but the app is not available in Canada!

Or any app that lets me import my route that i create online, INTO the app so i can use my iphone as a GPS.... i don;t care if the app costs 100 bucks.... i just can't find anything useful :(

if you have any suggestions, please let me know... much appreciated!

Last edited:
Subscribed :)

Would be nice to load some maps on my track timer so I can use it when I'm driving around on the street too :)

-Jamie M.

Look at citymaps2go ..offline map app with location capabilities. You can download maps from all over the world. I used it last week on vacation to find trails on a Costa Rican volcano .......seriously.

Do you guys have an attachment for the iphone on your bike?
Ram mount (steering stem) for my iPod touch 4th gen with UltiMate 5hz high accuracy GPS adapter. Powered constantly by my dual USB adapter.

-Jamie M.

GARMIN is amazing on the iphone. Full offline navigation. Been using it since symbian days and I took it all over the world. Unfortunately you can't import routes. I have yet to find an app that imports routes. However you can build the routes on your phone. Garmin had very good map rendering when you are browsing the map. Hard to explain... basically I find the best a scrolling over the map to find that one hidden road.

Navigon is also good. I like how it always displays three route options. Usually one is a long highway route and the other is a more direct route using back roads. It has an option to calculate routes for motorcycles on scenic roads. I found some pretty good roads with it. Garmin bought Navigon, and on every release they incorporated some of the navigon features.

If I had to pick one app it would be garmin.

However you can build the routes on your phone.
I've tried doing that and it ALWAYS misses the waypoints and even though you're on the same road it says to keep pulling a u-turn until it thinks you've hit that checkpoint :( To fix it without turning around you have to open the route, edit, delete that waypoint, save, continue route. Not easy to do when you're driving :(

-Jamie M.

I've tried doing that and it ALWAYS misses the waypoints and even though you're on the same road it says to keep pulling a u-turn until it thinks you've hit that checkpoint :( To fix it without turning around you have to open the route, edit, delete that waypoint, save, continue route. Not easy to do when you're driving :(

-Jamie M.

Are you using garmin on the iPhone?

I wouldn't need an Ultimate GPS adapter if i'm running data on my iPhone would I?
Not unless you're on the racetrack ;) I think the iPhone has a built in REAL gps adapter doesn't it? Should work even without data (assuming you have the maps cached on your phone).

My iPod didn't have any GPS in it, and I need a high refresh/accuracy one for the track.

-Jamie M.

Genius, thanks for that!

I wouldn't need an Ultimate GPS adapter if i'm running data on my iPhone would I?

Connecting to data doesn't increase the accuracy of the iPhone GPS, all it does is allow you to load online maps.

Why not look for a real gps that allows you to do offline plotting? I do it all the time with my Zumo 660, and cant imagine trying to plan a trip on the gps device itself.

Because the $50 app that does almost everything top end units do... and it's always with you.

these do it for me and the voice nav is simply excellent. Midnight from Penn to Toronto through detours and construction always in my ear when I needed it and shut up when I didn't.
One thing I really like it's very easy to set volume levels between the voice nav and the music all within the GPSDrive app and of course the music is faded out when the voice nav kicks in and returns afterwards.

MotionX-GPS-Drive-151.jpg

http://news.motionx.com/category/motionx-gps-drive/

and not expensive

1a.jpg

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/

and this for Offline

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mapswithme-lite.-world-offline/id431183278?mt=8

mzl.lgxzdmrn.320x480-75.jpg

I find they will mostly work with the iphone in my pocket but I tend to keep the phone in the glove box and flip that down when I want a visual - seems not to bother the Nav

The MotionX stuff comes with a free month of voice Nav which is a good deal.

But I'm not 100% convinced the GPS lock is reliable on the iPhone 4 I'm using as it can disappear here in the S Hemisphere tho I suspect it's an artifact of having the data blocked to prevent roaming.
With the Pacific Ocean on one side and a good range of mountains along it's edge it's hard to stay lost for long.

Buddy swears by Navigon

0,1462,sz=1&i=310036,00.png

* Pros
Smooth, detailed maps. Well-tuned voice prompts. Map manager stores data locally while conserving storage space. Plenty of fun, useful features and extras.

* Cons
Expensive, especially once you activate some of the plug-ins. Slightly cluttered display.

* Bottom Line

Navigon is a smooth, full-featured nav app for the iPhone that renders low-end standalone GPS devices obsolete.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361123,00.asp

But it ain't cheap. I like the MotionX duet.

•••

cant imagine trying to plan a trip on the gps device itself.

You don't need to plan it on the device

When I head out somewhere with a route in mind, I like to map it out. I'll use software like MapMyRide or RideWithGPS to draw out a track, and then transfer the track to either MotionX or Gaia. This track then shows up as a colored line on the map that you have downloaded onto your iphone, You can then monitor your progress on the track with your GPS position, which is indicated by the blue (MotionX) or orange (Gaia) arrowhead on the display.

http://adventurenomad.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/motionx-gps-vs-gaia-gps.html

Last edited:
To answer someone's question about the motorcycle iphone mount: i use the ARKON SM-VHB with a tank bracket...

now about the GPS, i currently have GMap (bought the app for 50 bucks but now it costs $99) it downloads the map to your iphone so you are not burning Data.... you can create routes and enter way points and select NO HIGHWAY... to enter way points i just get the coordinates online and enter them....

about GARMIN, are you sure it downloads the map to your iphone? cause the app is like 13 MB only! how good is it at finding scenic routes? also how easy is it to VIEW and EDIT your whole route after it finds it for you?
cause mapquest is AMAZING for that! i just can create and see my whole route very quickly but the problem is it's on the computer lol...

thanks for the help guys. please give me more info about this Garmin one... i like the idea that it gives you 3 different routes! tell me more :) it's 30 bucks so before purchasing i wanna make sure it does what i want :)

If anyone would like a free copy of Gaia GPS, send an email to support@gaiagps.com. I am one of the developers.

Our app doesn't do turn-by-turn, but its good for recording your tracks and importing tracks to show on the map. You can also cache the maps for offline use.

I think there are two Garmins. One is "Live" and the other is "Onboard". One needs a connection the other doesn't.

Garmin displays only one route, but you can easily add points to modify your route.

Navigon is the one that displays three routes.

I will post screenshots if both latter.

Back
Top Bottom