What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's the BEST motorcycle GPS iPhone app?

I use Waze. It is a community-based nav system that uses Google map data incorporated with real-time data from other Waze users on the road, in real time.
This means you get info about traffic, police, hazards, rain etc. from someone just ahead of you on the route, in real time. All the other nav apps use MTO traffic data, which is outdated by the time you see it. I use it with audio only.
At the start of a trip, it gives you multiple route options, based on the traffic data at that time. It will re-route if traffic is spotted ahead.

This is pretty essential to drive in and out of the GTA. Uses less data than Google maps.
I use Waze everyday, it is a great App and has saved me many times, it also gives you very accurate alternate routes around traffic.

However,. you can not create routes so it is useless for trips where you are going to more than one place!

Copilost is the only app I did not try. Can you create routes on the PC and import them, or does it only have in app route maker?

Waze is oke. In montreal it's missing a few stationary speed cameras for example. Kinda weak.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS n

Last edited:
I use Waze everyday, it is a great App and has saved me many times, it also gives you very accurate alternate routes around traffic.

However,. you can not create routes so it is useless for trips where you are going to more than one place!

Just do A to B, B to C, etc. Routes are kinda pointless with GPS navs that update routing in real time.

Before you leave, input multiple locations as favorites, then just pick the next destination on the list.

Copilost is the only app I did not try. Can you create routes on the PC and import them, or does it only have in app route maker?

Waze is oke. In montreal it's missing a few stationary speed cameras for example. Kinda weak.

Sent from the future using my GOLDEN iPhone 30 SS n
There are "un-official" ways, you can read this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920950

However, I took a trip to Spain and Portugal last summer and i had to basically create the entire route using the App (hundreds of stops and routes) it was really easy and I could even edit the route by moving it with a touch on the phone and dragging it to where I wanted. I found it really easy and never did i say "I wish I had a computer"

I have tried many other apps (preparing for said trip) and this one seems to be the most complete and feature enabled out there. It was also really useful while in the Mountains in PA where there was no cell reception.

You create the route here
2013-09-19_10-19-17_zpsa11589c9.jpg

and can drag and change here - It even calculate gas cost for your budget

2013-09-19_10-20-04_zps98929a76.jpg

Just do A to B, B to C, etc. Routes are kinda pointless with GPS navs that update routing in real time.

Before you leave, input multiple locations as favorites, then just pick the next destination on the list.
When doing a motorcycle trip trying to hit the best twisties, that method is not very practical, my way points are roads and not stops and I don't really want to stop after every road created as a favorite since I just want the Map to take me to the next without any input, I do 10 to 18 hr days with only gas and a couple of food stops, this would add a bunch of ministops, take my gloves off, recall the other favorite and get it going again, hit the next road, stop again, take gloves off...repeat

Last edited:
When doing a motorcycle trip trying to hit the best twisties, that method is not very practical, my way points are roads and not stops and I don't really want to stop after every road created as a favorite since I just want the Map to take me to the next without any input, I do 10 to 18 hr days with only gas and a couple of food stops, this would add a bunch of ministops, take my gloves off, recall the other favorite and get it going again, hit the next road, stop again, take gloves off...repeat
Agreed!

Going to give Copilot a shot this weekend...looks like exactly what I have been looking for, thanks!

What are the differences between the premium & freeware versions?

Agreed!

Going to give Copilot a shot this weekend...looks like exactly what I have been looking for, thanks!

What are the differences between the premium & freeware versions?

Used CoPilot for a 3 3/4 3000km long weekend...functionality it works fairly well, and is very low on resource use (CPU & battery usage)...but I have been spoiled with the OpenStreetMaps on NavFree. The CoPilot maps just...suck. Even worse than GoogleMaps. And the Google search algorithms it uses are...odd.

Might keep it on the phone as a backup, but not deleting it yet...but not going to use it as my first choice either.

Used CoPilot for a 3 3/4 3000km long weekend...functionality it works fairly well, and is very low on resource use (CPU & battery usage)...but I have been spoiled with the OpenStreetMaps on NavFree. The CoPilot maps just...suck. Even worse than GoogleMaps. And the Google search algorithms it uses are...odd.

Might keep it on the phone as a backup, but not deleting it yet...but not going to use it as my first choice either.
Downloading. Navfree right now, I'll check it out on the z10

Edit: I was reading the reviews and it seems many people have issues finding addresses, does not let you do route corrections and a guy that test it on his way to work said it made a 10 min trip 30 min. I'll still give it a try

Last edited:
TomTom has been my go to when I have no cell service. The main reason being Winding Roads feature. If you hunt TomTom on the forum there is an explanation.
Some of my very best finds have been through that and it's so easy to do - no plotting way points.

You plug in a destination and tell it to take you by Maximum Winding Roads. It's only on iPhone afaik.

Where there is cell...MotionX is my choice.
http://gps.motionx.com

GoogleMaps for finding coffee etc.

WHen all else fails

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/forevermap-2-worldwide-offline/id424183595?mt=8

So I don't know how you create a route? If what you want is go from a to b then it's ok but I couldn't find a way to plot multiple destination points.

The app crashed when I downloaded from BlackBerry market and had to download it from the android market.

Great feature is free maps (I had to pay extra for Europe) but without the ability to create a route this app is useless.

Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

Sygic
/

very accurate had it running on my Android phone along side a standalone Garmin GPS and it followed along.
Also ran Copilot on tablet to follow along and it did well.
Sygic has some cool features including HUD, YEP,,,HUD

So I don't know how you create a route? If what you want is go from a to b then it's ok but I couldn't find a way to plot multiple destination points.

The app crashed when I downloaded from BlackBerry market and had to download it from the android market.

Great feature is free maps (I had to pay extra for Europe) but without the ability to create a route this app is useless.

Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

Yeah that is the killer with NavFree, no routes. For an A-B app I haven't found anything better...but you can't drag out your route from A-B.
Finding your way around in a new city it is great...wanting to stretch out a 70km trip into a 270km trip by dragging it just can't do.

I've been flipping between CoPilot & NavFree, depending on what I want to do. If I want to figure out the quickest way to a particular fry stand in Sturgeon Falls from Sudbury, I use NavFree. If I want to eke out the maximum twisty factor on Hwy 5xx roads between Sturgeon Falls & Parry Sound I used CoPilot...
They both have their place, but the CoPilot search function is just asinine, even after I figured it out.

BTW Sturgeon Falls is a french fry mecca...there is five places there that all make incredible fries in whatever manner you like. The best poutine I've tasted outside of Montreal came out of a CoffeeTime diner in Sturgeon Falls! (real cheese curds in real from scratch sauce...was awesome)

Have a look at OSMAND, I downloaded it for android last week and it seems pretty good. Full version is $8 but the free version has enough utility for me right now. Worldwide free offline maps too.

Have a look at OSMAND, I downloaded it for android last week and it seems pretty good. Full version is $8 but the free version has enough utility for me right now. Worldwide free offline maps too.

Just updating this thread as I decided to look at Android based software too (to eventually replace my Zumo) . Newer phones are now glove friendly and waterproof, so willing to try on the bike eventually. Will test over the winter in the Car. Willing to pay for an app, if it works well. I need it to be able to Load a .GPX file and follow it. Also maps need to be Online Capable.

Tried CoPilot - Looks promising but not a lot of stats/info on screen (ie. Speed limit of road etc)
OSMAnd looks good so far..

Ever tried MotoEye? We are more focused on media than on the satnav at the moment but still you can use tbt nav on the route. You can export .gpx file and soon you should be able to import one as well - we are testing it now. This will give you a chance to plan a trip on desktop and move it to your iPhone. Please do not consider this post as an ad, we are small team and we've started to build something riders will love. We ride bikes ourselves and we want our app to be usefull for us as well :) Navigation is based on skobbler and it is preety basic at the moment but it has offline maps already. The main functionality is to record a movies and taking photos while driving. It's a nice tool give it a chance and some feedback to us. We'll be happy to hear from you. Thanks, Adam

Ever tried MotoEye? We are more focused on media than on the satnav at the moment but still you can use tbt nav on the route. You can export .gpx file and soon you should be able to import one as well - we are testing it now. This will give you a chance to plan a trip on desktop and move it to your iPhone. Please do not consider this post as an ad, we are small team and we've started to build something riders will love. We ride bikes ourselves and we want our app to be usefull for us as well :) Navigation is based on skobbler and it is preety basic at the moment but it has offline maps already. The main functionality is to record a movies and taking photos while driving. It's a nice tool give it a chance and some feedback to us. We'll be happy to hear from you. Thanks, Adam

The problem for using this is that I look DOWN to the Screen when on a motorcycle. In a car, I could see it working as you usually mount GPS on the dash or windscreen. If you pointed it to record video on a motorcycle. how do you read the screen easily?

Good to see you're using OSM based maps.

Hi,
Driver need to decide to record or to navigate or wach the dashboard. I was usually using a record mode to drive one way, just for fun and get back with a satnav. Not recording in the second situation. We want to make the overlay visible when watching the movie too, you can see all the hud later, with the speed and stuff. Thanks for the good word :)
Best,
adamm

Yeah, I have been testing HERE recently. (Last week on a drive to Ottawa). Its pretty good. I emailed them to request the ability to load .gpx files. If they can add that one feature it would mean you could load routes easier and share them.
The problem with most the smartphones, is that you cant use them with gloves one and that the controls on screen are tiny so manipulating the software while riding is a lot harder than with a dedicated unit like the Zumo 66X range etc

Back
Top Bottom