GSXR 600 Neutral Light indicator issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

GSXR 600 Neutral Light indicator issue

Anyone who owns a 06-07 gsxr please post a comment if u are having this issue.

Basically here's the scoop:

When it's on the kickstand everyone can start their bikes (putting it on the neutral)

Except my bike doesn't show the green neutral light. Also the bike doesn't start when the kickstand is down. On top of that when i just have the bike "on" and i flip through the gears the indicator doesn't show anything it just has a small line on it: -

I always have to hop on kick the stand up and then i can start it.. and then the indicator show's all the gears except the neutral...that light is never ever on. Last summer i remember when i was at a red light it somehow came on. and then after that it was gone again.

Finally after doing a lot of research it turns out that my Gear sensor switch is the problem.

So i finally order a new one and installed the new one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vPmPF-UlqI (This was the video i used, This person had the same issue as me)

Lo and behold!! Everything back to normal I see my nice neutral green light and all of the good stuff!! I ride for about a month and store it away for winter.. and now just as i took out my bike this week.. It's the same problem again!!! The light for the neutral is not indicating again!!!! And now i have to get on my bike yet again to start it :mad:

Has anyone experienced this issue and know a perma fix for it??

TL;DR Version:

-Neutral light doesn't display and unable to start bike on kickstand because of it.
-Replaced gear indicator/sensor switch; Fixed problem!
-Problem came back again after taking out the bike this week

Thanks in advance!

its a known issue with gsxr's. Even the old to new gsxr's have the issue.

permanent fix...is it the sensor causing the issue? or the wiring? If its the sensor...why? solder? just the nature of it?

Have you made sure the sensor is clean and dry? no chain crap has gotten into it/around it?

The neutral light used to not come on for me, but it would be in neutral and my bike woudl register it as being neutral. I also had some incorrect gears display (i'm in 2nd but it says 3rd for a while). However since riding my bike regularly I've never had any of these issues come back (not saying that's the fix, that's just what happened)

If it did it again I would look further into it as frekeyguy has suggested. Just run through your wiring and look for split wires, damage to wire insulation, etc. first maybe something is shorting it out?

its a known issue with gsxr's. Even the old to new gsxr's have the issue.

permanent fix...is it the sensor causing the issue? or the wiring? If its the sensor...why? solder? just the nature of it?

Have you made sure the sensor is clean and dry? no chain crap has gotten into it/around it?

I also have this issue! Today however my light was on neutral as soon as I turned the bike on! I was SO happy and did a super low lean around a street corner (unnecessary I know) but I was so excited to see it again! and then it went away again :( I don't think it's a wiring issue, at least no damage.. to any wiring. Which sensor are you referring to? Possible to show it on a pic?

I've also replaced the gear indicator/sensor switch like user751.... which fixed the issue for a short time..So i don't know what's causing it!

Thanks!

Have either of you tried cleaning the sensor? I have the same problem but been too lazy to remove the cover to access the GPS. If I kick my kickstand up while it is in neutral, the smack fixes the GPS temporarily, which allows me to put the kick stand back down without the bike shutting off. Useful for morning warm ups. This problem is common on the 2006 to 2010 models along with a weird cold temperature start issue and radiator on fire issue.

LOL... What?
You know, the radiator compulsively goes up in flames.... just a GSXR thannngggg, we live on the edge

I have the cold star weird issue.. never getting a gixxer ever again

I had the same issue on an srad. Replaced the sensor, problem solved

Sent from my tablet using my paws

LOL... What?

There was a recall on a bunch of GSXR-600/750s from 2006-2010 (I don't remember exactly what years). Something about the rectifiers/regulators going boom. They're mounted pretty close to the radiator so some ppl think their radiators blew up lol

You know, the radiator compulsively goes up in flames.... just a GSXR thannngggg, we live on the edge

I have the cold star weird issue.. never getting a gixxer ever again

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301833

Extremely long thread, it appears (they are not 100% sure) to be a defective batch of IAP sensors? Apparently it affects other vehicles too (quads). I really hope I don't get this issue because a long term solution isn't available. The last few pages show promising solutions though.

I had the same issue on an srad. Replaced the sensor, problem solved

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Well, I replaced mine last year and this issue is back again! The person who mentioned that kicking the stand back after the bike starts is a temp fix.. This used to work for me as well, and then that stopped working..

As for the Stator / Rectifier problem.. I had both of the issues... Replaced the Stator.. no problem since.. Regulator/Rectifier also burnt out replaced that AND moved it to another location (Since it was an inch away from the radiator) and no problem since..

But this neutral light thing is sooo annoying!!! I really want to see the nice green light on the N again :(

^
Where did you buy the new GPS? Used or new?

This issue is well known but horribly documented, which either means

#1. bad batch of GPS
#2. something worse like wiring problems?

Brand new GPS from SnowCity + New O ring.. also checked the wiring... nothing wrong with it.

Well, I replaced mine last year and this issue is back again! The person who mentioned that kicking the stand back after the bike starts is a temp fix.. This used to work for me as well, and then that stopped working..

As for the Stator / Rectifier problem.. I had both of the issues... Replaced the Stator.. no problem since.. Regulator/Rectifier also burnt out replaced that AND moved it to another location (Since it was an inch away from the radiator) and no problem since..

But this neutral light thing is sooo annoying!!! I really want to see the nice green light on the N again :(

Here's how i would tackle this issue. Not sure if mentioned previously.
Take off the front sprocket cover with sensors & clean the area with diesel/wd40. Make sure the kickstand switch in that area is also clean. I've had chain lube & dirt accumulate in this area.

Next, check your wiring. Make sure they are not burnt out from the heat. Trace them. I hope its not electrical because they can get tedious.

Last resort would be replacing the whole computer unit that controls this function. Before I do this, I would disconnect battery for 10mins then reconnect. Just to make sure it wasn't a glitch.

It's gonna be trial & error

Unplug sensor, jump wire to ground, if neutral light comes on... replace sensor and go on merry way. If not, continue to diagnose for harness problem..

The neutral light used to not come on for me, but it would be in neutral and my bike woudl register it as being neutral. I also had some incorrect gears display (i'm in 2nd but it says 3rd for a while). However since riding my bike regularly I've never had any of these issues come back (not saying that's the fix, that's just what happened)

If it did it again I would look further into it as frekeyguy has suggested. Just run through your wiring and look for split wires, damage to wire insulation, etc. first maybe something is shorting it out?

After checking through what others have recommended.. I still can't find the problem.. but to my surprise on a nice warm day it comes on! and then those colder / rainy days it's gone... so..so strange..

After checking through what others have recommended.. I still can't find the problem.. but to my surprise on a nice warm day it comes on! and then those colder / rainy days it's gone... so..so strange..

Well, this info is new.

I'll see if mine turns on this morning as it's cold/wet.

Remove and inspect your neutral position sensor/gear position indicator, the contacts can be worn. There are also little springs in behind the contacts that can stick when the oil is old and or cold....Causing the switch to not make contact....Sometimes simply removing them, cleaning everything nice, will fix the issue...Other times you may need a new switch

In this picture you can see the little springs and contacts that get stuck sometimes
206-6762-NeutralSensor-1.jpg

Last edited:
What do you use to clean the sensor with?

Contact cleaner, parts cleaner, etc

The little contacts have springs behind them and are supposed to pushed against the contacts on the switch, so when they get clogged up with old dirty oil, or the oil is cold and not up to operating temp it can cause the contacts to stick...The switch is a sealed unit, so if it is faulty internally I suggest just replacing it rather then trying to open a can or worms trying to open it...

As said same thing happens with GSXR kick stand switch very often, Ive had luck cleaning them out, other times they are too far gone and need replacing...

Thanks for the info Johnny. I'll likely attempt that in the future to prevent the kickstand switch from scaring the **** out of me.

Back
Top Bottom