Propane vs gas generator | GTAMotorcycle.com

Propane vs gas generator

CruisnGrrl

Site Supporter
With the latest ice storm bringing a 48 hour (estimated, may go longer its not back up yet) I've been toying with the idea of a generator that can run the well pump but the big problem I have with gas is if its not put away right you have problems because the fuel goes stale/varnishes. Diesel seems to be quite expensive (most of my searches brought up industrial ones) and I worry it has the same problems as gas for storage (gelling). I don't know what propane engines are like but I don't have to do any thing to my BBQ at the end of the year. Are propane engines subject to the same storage issues gas and diesel?

Most of my usage would be track days (couple days a year) and power outages with long times in between usages (last time I used my 1200W generator was over a year ago because it doesn't meet my home needs as until now haven't had a power outage longer than 8 hours).

what does one look for in a propane generator?

I can't help with the propane generator but as far as the gas issue I find that a little perplexing. My Honda generator (5 yrs. old, less that 1/2hr total running time) started right up recently after a squirrel blew itself to bits on a transformer fuse. I expected it be a real bother to start but no. It was 5 yr. old gas. I'm pretty sure I put stabilizer in but not 100% certain. Same with a chainsaw couple years back, started easy after sitting forever. This is contrary to what I always hear. FWIW.
I know nothing about propane generators but my concern would be cold temp. start up.

Ive seen diesel stabilizer so you are correct in the concern over stale fuel. What output do you need?
IIRC propne gennies are larger units. CNG is also used?

Look into tri fuel kits. There are adapter kits that allow gas gennies to run on propane. In the end if you wanna stick with gas just make sure to rotate stock so you always have fresh gas.

I would not go propane unless exhaust vapor was an issue. Its not more efficient and it gives some grief at -10c.
Rotate gas supply by burning the old in your car and freshen up the stock pile. We have a big one at the cottage that gets started once a yr, always goes. (honda)

Make sure you have a proper transfer switch/generator panel installed too.

Costco had a 7200 watt gas generator on sale for $549. It was enough to run the essentials in the house during the power outage. After your done, switch the fuel off and run it dry. Drain the leftover gas into a jerrycan.

Make sure you have a proper transfer switch/generator panel installed too.

Or if heat and minimal lighting is ok for emergency, plug furnace directly into generator. I have short 14ga. extension cord wired into furnace power center which is normally plugged into wall socket (it's own circuit)

Or if heat and minimal lighting is ok for emergency, plug furnace directly into generator. I have short 14ga. extension cord wired into furnace power center which is normally plugged into wall socket (it's own circuit)

Thats an interesting way to do it, never seen a plug in furnace but why not I guess.

Daves right if yoiu dont have BNKN type system, having the possibility of power reversing back into the grid and lighting up a powerline worker 1km away is the reason transfer switches were created.

Generac makes a nice unit that runs on propane or natural gas ,complete with a 120/240 volt 8 circuit panel and integrated automatic transfer switch.It's capable of running your furnace ,sump pump,water pump etc.The 7kw package runs about $2400.Forget the ghetto homemade transfer switches and and extension chords that are prone to human error.Just remember that if you accidendally backfeed the grid with your little 120 volt generator, you could potentially fry some linesman down the street working on the other side of the transformer with 14,000 volts or more.

Forget the ghetto homemade transfer switches and and extension chords that are prone to human error.Just remember that if you accidendally backfeed the grid with your little 120 volt generator, you could potentially fry some linesman down the street working on the other side of the transformer with 14,000 volts or more.

I don't know anything about no homemade transfer switches but my extension cord idea is a viable modality that in no way has any potential to harm a linesman down the line. For a minute there it almost sounded like you knew what you're talking about.

I don't know anything about no homemade transfer switches but my extension cord idea is a viable modality that in no way has any potential to harm a linesman down the line. For a minute there it almost sounded like you knew what you're talking about.

Well at least he got a minute.

His post only referred to your extension idea as ghetto, which it is.

Not sure that would fly during an inspection either.

His post only referred to your extension idea as ghetto, which it is.

Not sure that would fly during an inspection either.

Bundling homemade transfer switches and human error prone extension chords into the same attack reads a certain way. Kind of shrill if you're an extension cord connisewer. Nobody suggested homemade transfer switches, so that didn't need to be batted down. The extension cord idea is ghetto for sure but completely safe so it's not an issue for me.

Bundling homemade transfer switches and human error prone extension chords into the same attack reads a certain way. Kind of shrill if you're an extension cord connisewer. Nobody suggested homemade transfer switches, so that didn't need to be batted down. The extension cord idea is ghetto for sure but completely safe so it's not an issue for me.

If you bought and extension cord, cut off the female cord cap and hard wired it in......it isn't safe or legal.

If you bought and extension cord, cut off the female cord cap and hard wired it in......it isn't safe or legal.

IF I tin the multistrands and take care marretting and taping it'll pass my inspection for myself. I would consider that safe in my dwelling. Would not do it for anybody else. You can see why I'm doing this, right?

PS you would like how I fixed my sewer stack. It's one for the ages.

IF I tin the multistrands and take care marretting and taping it'll pass my inspection for myself. I would consider that safe in my dwelling. Would not do it for anybody else. You can see why I'm doing this, right?

PS you would like how I fixed my sewer stack. It's one for the ages.

Honestly if I was doing work in your house I would point it out to you and leave it at that.

But the previously made posts about not back feeding the grid are real issues that know it all DIY'ers would mostly overlook.

They would also have a hard time figuring out why they couldnt get much to work off their generator.

Honestly if I was doing work in your house I would point it out to you and leave it at that.

But the previously made posts about not back feeding the grid are real issues that know it all DIY'ers would mostly overlook.

They would also have a hard time figuring out why they couldnt get much to work off their generator.

That's a very legitimate concern and as a DIYselfer I didn't feel the need to go there. I just want heat and a couple light bulbs during the ice storm of the century. Suggesting the extension cord idea on a public forum might not be the wisest idea either. Oh well.

I'm a licenced electrical contractor with a masters licence and 30 years experience, so I do know what I'm talking about.Bottom line ,for every do it yourselfer that knows what he's doing there are at least 50 that don't and believe me I have seen it all.Also, "I don't know anything about no home made transfer switches" is a double negative that suggests to me that you actually dont know anything about transfer switches.I will tell you this,your installation requires an ESA permit and inspection and most inspectors will argue that anytime you isolate a piece of permanently installed equipment (your furnace for instance) and run it off a portable generator you will require a permit and inspection each and every time.That is not my opinion,that is the law.

Last edited:
I'm a licenced electrical contractor with a masters licence and 30 years experience, so I do know what I'm talking about.Bottom line ,for every do it yourselfer that knows what he's doing there are at least 50 that don't and believe me I have seen it all.Also, "I don't know anything about no home made transfer switches" is a double negative that suggests to me that you actually dont know anything about transfer switches.I will tell you this,your installation requires an ESA permit and inspection and most inspectors will argue that anytime you isolate a piece of permanently installed equipment (your furnace for instance) and run it off a portable generator you will require a permit and inspection each and every time.That is not my opinion,that is the law.

1/ I apologize for the comment with caveat it's just part of the banter.

2/ I don't have clue about transfer switches. This is true.

3/ Desperately trying to hold onto last shreds of independence. Not interested in permit for myself for my home.

Back
Top Bottom