Install 190 rear tire on a R6? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Install 190 rear tire on a R6?

dragonrider

Hi guys. The stock rear tire on 2006 r6 is 180. did some research it seems 190 tire can be mounted too. I just wonder if anyone here has install a 190 rear tire on your r6? And how you like it? If possible, could you send me a pic? Many thanks.

Sure you can do it. But why?

^^ Exactly. My old TL was 190 OEM and I went to a 180 to sharpen it's handling. Even when the 190/55's came onto the market I found that the 180 was better. But then some would rather form over function.

Hi guys. The stock rear tire on 2006 r6 is 180. did some research it seems 190 tire can be mounted too. I just wonder if anyone here has install a 190 rear tire on your r6? And how you like it? If possible, could you send me a pic? Many thanks.
I ran a 190/50 on my 08 R6 for a while, slower turn in than a 180/55. I went to 190/55 and it was awesome. So if you're going 190 go 190/55 (Bridgestone S20's are nice ;)).

After you get your new tires let me know and I'll calibrate your speedo for free.

-Jamie M.

I ran a 190/50 on my 08 R6 for a while, slower turn in than a 180/55. I went to 190/55 and it was awesome. So if you're going 190 go 190/55 (Bridgestone S20's are nice ;)).

After you get your new tires let me know and I'll calibrate your speedo for free.

-Jamie M.

I agree with Jamie. I run a 190 on my 05 R6 and find it helps with the turn intiation. Ran one set of 180 and went. Back to the 190 the next time.

running a 190/55 on my gsxr600 (stock 180) since it came that way. Replaced it with another 190/55 because my source didnt' have any 180's. He did recommend the 180s for the same reason, quicker turn-ins. No issues whatsoever with the 190's though.

^^ Exactly. My old TL was 190 OEM and I went to a 180 to sharpen it's handling. Even when the 190/55's came onto the market I found that the 180 was better. But then some would rather form over function.
I had the exact same set-up...night and day between the 180 dropping down into a turn. Think of the roll radius of the carcass and the turn line the tire takes.
BUT...your choice...never hurts to give it a try and form your own opinion. You may prefer it???
Good luck, Cheers!

im pretty sure you can fit a 200 on that wheel, why stop at 190

im pretty sure you can fit a 200 on that wheel, why stop at 190

200 will be extremely tight but im sure it can be mounted....but chain/swingarm....prob wont clear.....lol

Compared to a 180/55, there's also added weight with a 190/55 as well.....and that weight is at the furthest spot from the centre of the wheel's rotating axis, so it would have the most gyroscopic effect as well. Unless you require the added grip that a 190/55 at maximum lean, why bother adding extra weight and added cost of buying the bigger tire?
Race bike? sure. Street bike? Why?

I have a 200 on my zx6rr

I live on the edge :D

Last edited:
Unless you require the added grip that a 190/55 at maximum lean, why bother adding extra weight and added cost of buying the bigger tire?
Race bike? sure. Street bike? Why?
Bigger contact patch BUT less weight on the contact patch over the area?!?! Give to get I guess :)

At least three bikes I know of come with 200/55 rears now. RSV4, S1000RR, Panigale 1199. Maybe the new MV?

Just saying.

Less weight?
PSI...the overall force (weight and friction) divided by the area of the contact patch.
300lbs (for example) distributed over 18"sq or 22"sq (again, examples). Smaller contact patch = more force over a smaller area.

PSI...the overall force (weight and friction) divided by the area of the contact patch.
300lbs (for example) distributed over 18"sq or 22"sq (again, examples). Smaller contact patch = more force over a smaller area.

The force doesn't change. Pressure does. A larger contact patch means less stress on the contact patch.

Back
Top Bottom