Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam

And yet you still haven't seen fit to post information on a camera that encypts or that supports a camera that will dump to a phone, as you stated, without storing anything locally ;)

I have been thinking about getting a dash cam for awhile now... and my GoogleFU has not yielded ANY standalone dash cams within a reasonable price that includes streaming encryption. That is the device encrypts data as it writes.

For anybody else that's curious, encryption is generally computationally heavy and the processors used in these dash cams are not designed for it. To have a reasonable encryption bitrate you would need to have encryption supported by the processor. Simply tacking on encryption at the software level would not really work.

Dash cams would require a substantially faster processor to handle encryption while maintaining current bit rate. I suspect the company's want to maximize profit, and most people will not pay the hefty cost increase to warrant encryption.

TL DR --> Encryption cost more, people no pay.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about getting a dash cam for awhile now... and my GoogleFU has not yielded ANY standalone dash cams within a reasonable price that includes streaming encryption. That is the device encrypts data as it writes.

For anybody else that's curious, encryption is generally computationally heavy and the processors used in these dash cams are not designed for it. To have a reasonable encryption bitrate you would need to have encryption supported by the processor. Simply tacking on encryption at the software level would not really work.

Dash cams would require a substantially faster processor to handle encryption while maintaining current bit rate. I suspect the company's want to maximize profit, and most people will not pay the hefty cost increase to warrant encryption.

Which is why I said that my solution for such a thing wouldn't be something off the shelf. It also would encrypt the storage medium, not the stream, and the cameras would have no native storage.

In other words, it would have the power of a PC.

Which is why I said that my solution for such a thing wouldn't be something off the shelf. It also would encrypt the storage medium, not the stream, and the cameras would have no native storage.

In other words, it would have the power of a PC.

Oh it's definitely possible... I was just pointing out the lack of "off-the-shelf" options available and the reasoning. Granted we shouldn't have to worry about encrypting dashcam footage in the first place......... I'm looking at getting a dashcam more for insurance purposes.

If you want this you have choices:

- A camera that is capable of saving to an external storage medium...and then your problem becomes 'I need portable storage that has an encryption layer that is transparent to camera' - I could solve this problem myself but I don't know if there is an off-the-shelf solution
- A camera that can send video to your phone with an app and stores the video on your phone...and then you just use existing tech to encrypt the card on your phone

There are other ways to do it including but not limited to getting a cam built on a platform that has already been "hacked" so you can modify it...but the above two are what I feel would be the easiest.

I've removed a jacket while driving, changed my pants before even, changed from safety boots to shoes or the other way a couple of times. Got something out of the trunk twice I think. Unlocked the glove box with the key that was keeping the car running. That one confused my gf that was in the car with me at the time. Removed something from the roof rack another time.

I will now be told what a terrible person I am. :p

My wife and I switched seats in a K car from rent a wreck while driving through the Rockies. Hows that for terrible.

If you want this you have choices:

- A camera that is capable of saving to an external storage medium...and then your problem becomes 'I need portable storage that has an encryption layer that is transparent to camera' - I could solve this problem myself but I don't know if there is an off-the-shelf solution
- A camera that can send video to your phone with an app and stores the video on your phone...and then you just use existing tech to encrypt the card on your phone

There are other ways to do it including but not limited to getting a cam built on a platform that has already been "hacked" so you can modify it...but the above two are what I feel would be the easiest.

Get the auto boy app for your smart phone and mount it in this
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-UN7U

RAM-B-166-UN7UIU2.jpg

Don't waste your money or time buying and returning the crappy tire version.

Sounds like everyone with on dash gps's should get that ticket then :-/
The better mounted dashcams sit behind the rear view mirror.. Cannot be seen by the driver. Been running one for the past year. Works great. Switch on when car starts and moves. Off when car stops/turns off.
Cost $60 and records clear 720p. Need to get another one for the other car.

Quick question if you dont notify the officer that you are recording the conversation. will you still be able to use it as evidence???

Quick question if you dont notify the officer that you are recording the conversation. will you still be able to use it as evidence???

It is only necessary for one of the parties involved in the conversation to know that the conversation is being recorded, and that party can be you.

It's not always the camera that lets you off.
...You've been stopped 4 times, it's on the police database and it's a permanent record for your police encounters. .....

If the officer just issued a verbal warning each time then there would be no record of being stopped.

It is only necessary for one of the parties involved in the conversation to know that the conversation is being recorded, and that party can be you.

That's only true for Canada.. South of the border it varies from state to state

Back
Top Bottom