Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam

Why not? It would work? A little overkill and expensive and you'd have to start it every time but it would work.

Why wouldn't the skydiving guy just drop the card instead of swallowing it? The chances of finding it after he dropped it from the sky would be slim to none. Unless he didn't think of it until he landed?

Odds are that it was nowhere handy enough to yank the card out while he was aloft.

Hey guys, just heads up. All of the Ontario having blitz on talking/texting while driving your cages from April 15-22.
Just a friendly warning :)

Hey guys, just heads up. All of the Ontario having blitz on talking/texting while driving your cages from April 15-22.
Just a friendly warning :)

Good...might save a few lives...I think they are generally after bad drivers....including eating, etc.

Yup, got an earful today from OPP up north for chugging some water. Said if it had been a phone/iPod/food I'd have gotten the ticket. Was told to take smaller sips so my eyes aren't pointed up lol

^

No offense, it's kinda legit. Whatever you can't do on a motorcycle shouldn't be done in a car...except maybe scratching your *** or back of your head.

Though I can't really throw the first stone. A couple years ago (almost 10) I used to smoke, text, and drive at the same time. Now I realize how ****ing stupid I was!

I've removed a jacket while driving, changed my pants before even, changed from safety boots to shoes or the other way a couple of times. Got something out of the trunk twice I think. Unlocked the glove box with the key that was keeping the car running. That one confused my gf that was in the car with me at the time. Removed something from the roof rack another time.

I will now be told what a terrible person I am. :p

I've removed a jacket while driving, changed my pants before even, changed from safety boots to shoes or the other way a couple of times. Got something out of the trunk twice I think. Unlocked the glove box with the key that was keeping the car running. That one confused my gf that was in the car with me at the time. Removed something from the roof rack another time.

I will now be told what a terrible person I am. :p

You're horrible!
Promise you wouldn't do it again

Sent from my tablet using my paws

You're horrible!
Promise you wouldn't do it again

Sent from my tablet using my paws
Those were all pretty stupid things to do. I'd generally avoid them these days.

Why not? It would work? A little overkill and expensive and you'd have to start it every time but it would work.

Why wouldn't the skydiving guy just drop the card instead of swallowing it? The chances of finding it after he dropped it from the sky would be slim to none. Unless he didn't think of it until he landed?

It was HANG-gliding. And the camera attached to the Wing. Footage would have shown everything.. including forgetting to tether the passenger correctly.

It was HANG-gliding. And the camera attached to the Wing. Footage would have shown everything.. including forgetting to tether the passenger correctly.

Oh I see. I didn't realize the camera was on the wing.

I have used a GoPro HD2 as a dash cam, and it can do the job well. I already had the camera for other purposes though, so it was a cost saving to use it, versus buying a new camera entirely. I have the skeleton housing, so I was able to plug in a USB charger, therefore battery was never an issue. I recorded at 960/30, so that it has maximum vertical FOV. So long as I remembered to press record, it was fine.

For others looking at GoPro, it should be noted that both the GoPro3 Silver and Black now support loop recording. Battery life is still a concern, so just buy the Frame mount, and use a USB phone charger to keep it going. They still have the sharpest lenses out there, but that is what you pay for. With built in WiFi, you can use your phone to aim the camera when you set it up.

Also, I would say that clarity and vertical FOV is more important for a dash cam than just arbitrary 1080p resolutions. First, I found 720p to be more than enough to read a license plate if needed. Second, a 4:3 aspect image also tends to be more useful for information gathering purposes. Assuming the same viewing angle in width, a 4:3 image has more viewing top to bottom. This will get things lower on the road as well as higher up (for example, a cube van plate mounted at the top of the box). A dash cam is for evidence gathering, not for making track day performance videos. As such, you need to think a bit differently about the result.

lol you got no footage? :(

sounds like everyone just needs a plastic fake camera :)

Sounds about right lmao
But seriosly I bought another SD card and it wouldn't recognize it still. Dang!

Do you mean self incrimination? You cannot be forced to give testimony in a proceeding in which you are the defendant. In the event that you do give evidence, you no can no longer claim that right. Recent decisions with respect to cell phones would tend to indicate that a police officer would be able to view the contents of a dash cam.

You are incorrect. self incrimination applies to you speaking or writting. If a camera had a password on the device stopping you from gaining access to it, i would not be required to provide you with such password. A police officer would have to get a search warrant to gain access.

You are incorrect. self incrimination applies to you speaking or writting. If a camera had a password on the device stopping you from gaining access to it, i would not be required to provide you with such password. A police officer would have to get a search warrant to gain access.

I haven't seen any dash cams that encrypt data. Have you? The recent developments with respect to cell phones indicate that they can be checked, if they are not passworded.

an officer does not have the authority to watch video from your camera absent a search warrant. When your arrested, police conduct a inventory of your car. This is legal but is not considered an actual search. This is in place so someone cant make the claim that something was stolen. However police use this as a loophole to search the car. Now as to video on a electronic device would not be something that is inventoried. if it was seized and watched absent a warrant it would be fruit from the poisonous tree and would be thrown out as evidence. As for if a police officer demands you give him access to it and you refuse that you would be charged with obstruction. That is also incorrect as there are case laws that support a person must commit an action to obstruct a police officers lawful duties with the intent to obstruct. So you have to A. commit an action, not a lack of action B. The police officers request has to be lawful. C. You have to prove Mens Rae which is the intent you had to obstruct the officer.

Point is, password protect it and shut up

an officer does not have the authority to watch video from your camera absent a search warrant. When your arrested, police conduct a inventory of your car. This is legal but is not considered an actual search. This is in place so someone cant make the claim that something was stolen. However police use this as a loophole to search the car. Now as to video on a electronic device would not be something that is inventoried. if it was seized and watched absent a warrant it would be fruit from the poisonous tree and would be thrown out as evidence. As for if a police officer demands you give him access to it and you refuse that you would be charged with obstruction. That is also incorrect as there are case laws that support a person must commit an action to obstruct a police officers lawful duties with the intent to obstruct. So you have to A. commit an action, not a lack of action B. The police officers request has to be lawful. C. You have to prove Mens Rae which is the intent you had to obstruct the officer.

Point is, password protect it and shut up

Read the decision on cell phones, as it potentially opens up a whole whackload of issues. The limits just haven't been tested yet. The statement about search and seizure was made earlier in this thread and, in fact, in many threads before it. Sometimes by myself.

And you failed to answer the question about whether or not you have seen an encrypting dash cam. If you can't password protect it, it might well be subject to the same ruling that has been mentioned. Saying, "Password protect it and shut up" is meaningless, if you can't password protect it.

Something that far too many people forget is that an officer can seize a device like a camera or audio recorder, prior to obtaining a warrant, if he believes in good faith that it contains evidence that might be subject to destruction. He can then obtain a warrant when it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom