Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam

Drunk driving costs about $10,000 to defend and it's a pretty easy one (not personal experience but I've got a Crown buddy and also knew a guy who went through the ringer and then was stupid enough to do it again).. Obstructing will cost you a heck of a lot more.

No, you good luck.... This can go on forever....

Actually it can't. Destruction of evidence means that the evidence has been destroyed. They would only have to prove that you destroyed something, at which point reasonable doubt would be satisfied.

Actually it can't. Destruction of evidence means that the evidence has been destroyed. They would only have to prove that you destroyed something, at which point reasonable doubt would be satisfied.

First they would have to prove the camera was on (easy to reach down and unplug it), then prove that there was a SD card in the camera (easy to remove the SD card and swallow it) then prove that it recorded the incident.

We are also talking about a traffic ticket... not a criminal charge. You think they'll go through all that for a traffic ticket?

Like I said, Good luck.

First they would have to prove the camera was on (easy to reach down and unplug it), then prove that there was a SD card in the camera (easy to remove the SD card and swallow it) then prove that it recorded the incident.

We are also talking about a traffic ticket... not a criminal charge. You think they'll go through all that for a traffic ticket?

Like I said, Good luck.

The last part is unnecessary. Seeing someone remove the card and swallow it, with a couple of witnesses, would be enough to convict. You didn't just swallow a piece of electronic hardware because you like the taste.

As for placing a criminal charge for a traffic infraction, riders run all the time and thereby raise a traffic infraction to a Criminal Code infraction. Destroying evidence really isn't all that different. I could easily see an officer 'going through the trouble', on the assumption that you were trying to hide a much more serious crime.

Like I said, Good luck.

If you piss them off they'll go after you. Your typical cop doesn't care if you spend $50,000 defending yourself from a criminal charge. It doesn't go out of his pocket and he gets paid for any court appearances wrt that charge.

How can you encrypt a card in the Dash Cam? You can't

Have you even tried?
As long as your storage device can be connected to the computer (USB, SD, Micro SD, etc), you can use a third party program to encrypt it.
The only time you get prompted to enter the password is when you want to read the card not when you write (depending on the program you use I guess...)

Have you even tried?
As long as your storage device can be connected to the computer (USB, SD, Micro SD, etc), you can use a third party program to encrypt it.
The only time you get prompted to enter the password is when you want to read the card not when you write (depending on the program you use I guess...)

Encrypted is encrypted. The device writing to it must be capable of coding the specific encryption.

The last part is unnecessary. Seeing someone remove the card and swallow it, with a couple of witnesses, would be enough to convict. You didn't just swallow a piece of electronic hardware because you like the taste.

As for placing a criminal charge for a traffic infraction, riders run all the time and thereby raise a traffic infraction to a Criminal Code infraction. Destroying evidence really isn't all that different. I could easily see an officer 'going through the trouble', on the assumption that you were trying to hide a much more serious crime.

Wait a second. Wasn't there some kind of law to prevent self-criminalization?

油井緋色;1973316 said:
Wait a second. Wasn't there some kind of law to prevent self-criminalization?

Do you mean self incrimination? You cannot be forced to give testimony in a proceeding in which you are the defendant. In the event that you do give evidence, you no can no longer claim that right. Recent decisions with respect to cell phones would tend to indicate that a police officer would be able to view the contents of a dash cam.

Do you mean self incrimination? You cannot be forced to give testimony in a proceeding in which you are the defendant. In the event that you do give evidence, you no can no longer claim that right.

Nor do we have something like "pleading the fifth" right?

Nope, that's what I was getting at. You can refuse to give evidence (aka "take the stand") in court. Once there, you cannot refuse to answer questions.

...well, at least the cops here are nicer than the ones south....right? =/

油井緋色;1973388 said:
...well, at least the cops here are nicer than the ones south....right? =/

You sure you live in the GTA?

Except your half price option is half quality as well...
The half price eBay camera you listed has 4:3 aspect ratio and even their own sample video looks like crap vs the more expensive DX camera.

Source video from eBay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dLjKMz4tqXU
Source video from DX camera sku:54137 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uz8G91DTbNM

The DX cam is 120 deg. FOV
The eBay camera claims it's 120 deg FOV - but most certainly is not - see images.

eBay cam viewed at highest resolution they offer on youtube, claimed 120 deg. FOV
33057326.jpg

dx 54137, actual 120 deg FOV
94959121.jpg

Last edited:
Go Pro as a dash cam? I don't think so.
Why not? It would work? A little overkill and expensive and you'd have to start it every time but it would work.

Why wouldn't the skydiving guy just drop the card instead of swallowing it? The chances of finding it after he dropped it from the sky would be slim to none. Unless he didn't think of it until he landed?

Back
Top Bottom