Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not sure if police officer liked my dash cam

nikiter

A little background on my cage. It's 2006 Subaru WRX with some mods (pushing 352whp/360wtq on Dynojet). Been racing it at the track for the past 4 years, road course and some drag. Last fall I got myself a dash cam and it's been really cool as I got some footages over months of some f**kery on roads. So I was in my cage the other night coming back from a date. Driving normally, not breaking any laws. I see a cop in front of me, he's doing a legit 40 in a 50 while playing on his laptop. Whatever. I get in the left lane and slowly pass him then go back into right lane. Some other car also passes him and gets behind him. We all come up to the main intersection. Cop gets into left lane but not pulling up right beside me (around 2 cars behind in my blind corner). Now I know that he's running my plates. Light turns green and we all make a left turn. Cherries go off. I pull into a works parking lot (lol ironically). Have my 4 ways on ect. He's sitting in his new Ford Taurus. So I'm thinking ok, gotta turn my dash cam so it records me and the officer. So I started moving it and turning it to get a better angel...Then all of the sudden I see this cop run out out of this car and practically get in my face and being all rude. Cop: What are you doing and taking off there?!! (Probably thinking it's a radar detector). Me: Take it easy, it's my dash camera. I will be recoding this conversation. (So here I notified him that this will be legit recoding which can be used in court law if anything.) He made face like this :shock:. Looks at the camera then looks at me. Then says: "Sit right here!" And runs back to his car. So another 5min pass. Comes walking to my car and all of the sudden sounds all professional and has a better tone of voice. Said that my exhaust is illegal. I tell him that he's 4th office to tell me that since 2008 but not ticket were issued by other offices. So he goes to the back of my car and checking out my exhaust....I opened the door as I wanted to see exactly what he's doing (don't want any surprises). He told me to get back into my car....Ok, no problem. Comes back and gives me a big lecture on how mufflers work. I was all nice and told him that I'll be selling car soon. He then says he's not going to write me a ticket, gave me my papers back and let me go. Over all not a bad experience but I feel that if I didn't have that dash camera things could be different with his power trip. I suggest everyone to get one. Mine is from Pacific Mall and was $54, takes pretty good video and sound.

p.s. Pacific mall SD card failed on me and didn't record anything. Not even sure when it stopped working as I rarely check vids. Need new card now.

Last edited:

Mine is from Pacific Mall and was $54, takes pretty good video and sound.

p.s. Pacific mall SD card failed on me and didn't record anything. Not even sure when it stopped working as I rarely check vids. Need new card now.

What the hell did you expect from a $54 camera, two words for you:

Go Pro.

What the hell did you expect from a $54 camera, two words for you:

Go Pro.

Believe it or not camera is fine. Tried another SD card and it works.
Ive got GoPro. Won one at the event. Don't believe that it can record loops like these dash cams. Plus mounting them is completely different story.

Looks like you got lucky you had the dash cam! I use mine mostly as a safety to keep insurance fraud away.

Gf got me a hero 3 black for Christmas, and let me tell you it's worth every penny she paid =P. The video and sound quality is amazing, and definitely recommend it. As for mounting it, its not too bad for a blind spot, I have it mounted right beside the center mirror on the passenger side.
Going to get a helmet mount soon!
one thing I don't like about the go pro, is that the stock battery only lasts about 1:45:00.

Looks like you got lucky you had the dash cam! I use mine mostly as a safety to keep insurance fraud away.
I initionaly put in my car for that. All the way around good buy I'd say.

And yeah GoPro black edition is pretty crazy.

I would not recommend a gopro for a dash cam, they are two different things. A gopro is fine for just recording stuff, but you have to manually tip turn it on, make sure it's plugged in because the battery life sucks, take it out of the car every time for fear of theft. Whereas a dash cam us usually motion activated, can be permanently wired in, and left in without worrying about theft because they are relatively cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in the states right now and am using my gopro for security reasons, but I will be ordering a dash cam for each of my cars from dx.com today.

I skimmed through the first few pages and found the following site: http://www.dod-tec.com/product.php?cat_1st=4

Canadian Site: http://www.dod-tech.ca/

I've been looking for an inexpensive dashcam and hope the above are not $150+.

Edit:
Found the Canadian online store - cheapest HD camera $200 - Group buy? - http://store.dod-tech.ca/dashboard-...ard-camera/dod-TG200-car-dvr-dashboard-camera

Last edited:
It's not always the camera that lets you off.
So the next time you get pulled over again for something else and not the muffler, you may get that other ticket without a warning. You've been stopped 4 times, it's on the police database and it's a permanent record for your police encounters.
Now, if you were speeding and racing, they can get a quick warrant for your video on SD Card and seize it from you.

It's not always the camera that lets you off.
So the next time you get pulled over again for something else and not the muffler, you may get that other ticket without a warning. You've been stopped 4 times, it's on the police database and it's a permanent record for your police encounters.
Now, if you were speeding and racing, they can get a quick warrant for your video on SD Card and seize it from you.

Do you know how easy it is to swallow a microSD card?

Lucky he did not give you:

Equipment obstructing view
Signs, objects, etc.
73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,
(a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or
(b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,
in a manner that will obstruct the driver’s view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (1).

Do you know how easy it is to swallow a microSD card?

Or lose it?

Though the guy does bring up a good point, hope these devices are never used AGAINST US like the stupid phone password thing.

Encrypting your SD card works as well :p

Losing it, or swalling it, you'd be charged with obstructing police if the police already seen your cam recorded.
Encrypted or password protected, as long as the officer has a warrant you must provide them with the password, they can even get into your cellphone records too. lol

Back
Top Bottom