Insurance for a new rider ( I KNOW YOU SEE THESE ALOT ) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for a new rider ( I KNOW YOU SEE THESE ALOT )

Fly

Hi Everyone, im new to the world of motorcycles and I'm looking to get my first bike in a couple of weeks, Im 19, have my G1 and M1, i've spent pretty much all day calling every broker in the durham area, not 1 of them gave me a quote, either because i wasn't 25, or didnt have enough experience ( which is understandable). I only got 1 quote the whole day and that was with Primmum, and it was $625 a month for 6 months, the agent on the phone told me that i would be covered for all 12 months, but wouldnt have to pay from October to February. The bike im looking to get is a ninja 300, Im doing my Riders course in april, but the agent told me it wouldnt drop it by much ( LIKE 10-15 dollars ), Can you guys assist a new rider with some tips and/or great places to call (NOT STATEFARM).

Thanks

Well you've got the "Big 5"

Jevco/Intact - Any bike besides SuperSport, big $ drop after 1 year with an M1/M2 licence
State Farm - Any bike including SS, but they rate by engine size in CCs. Use G1/G2/G experience (minimum 5 years licensed), not M. BIG drop after age 25.
TD MM - Best if you're a current Post-Secondary student or Alumni, insure all bikes (as I recall) and big drop at 25 and 30.
Primmum - Not familiar with them tbh
Facility (usually Nordic I think) - If you've got nowhere else to turn to, expect one BIG lump sum payment for the year.

There's also Desjardins and a couple other companies that are venturing into Motorcycle Insurance that I don't know anything about.

Without a history of driving and insurance, expect quotes in the neighbourhood of 4000-6000 per year, don't even look at a SuperSport until you're 25. Jevco USED to have a big drop after 1 year of M1/M2 experience but they've been bought out by Intact and things are changing.

Last edited:
someone pass this man the lube...no joke. You gotta pay to play.

When I was your age same situation with a G2/M1, I paid 3500 bucks up front. My last renewal at 22 1800, I'll get my latest one in a few months and hope it will be less.

edit: forgot to give advice other than to lube up...

If you can't wait till next year or get a parent in on it, at least wait til mid summer when you have a M2, more options will open up for you at that time. I was lucky to have gotten a $3500 grant which I put towards my insurance otherwise after paying for a brand new 250 and gear there's no way I'd have been riding the first year I got my license.

Last edited:
Like many of us "young people" ( < 25 ), you will have to pay a lot if you want to be legal on the roads.

Your only option other than paying minimum $3500 on your first year at that age is bringing in your parents and insuring them as primary on YOUR motorcycle. (Which is illegal and considered insurance fraud) Personally, I wouldn't because if what could happen if they were to find out and would wait until the next year to try and get a good quote.

Me: Licensed at 19 (insurance for me at this time was just too much for me @ $3500), insured by Jevco at 20 @ approx $1900, I'm 21 -> 22 now insured w/ SF @ approx $1450 on a cbr 125.

Like many of us "young people" ( < 25 ), you will have to pay a lot if you want to be legal on the roads.

Your only option other than paying minimum $3500 on your first year at that age is bringing in your parents and insuring them as primary on YOUR motorcycle. (Which is illegal and considered insurance fraud) Personally, I wouldn't because if what could happen if they were to find out and would wait until the next year to try and get a good quote.

Me: Licensed at 19 (insurance for me at this time was just too much for me @ $3500), insured by Jevco at 20 @ approx $1900, I'm 21 -> 22 now insured w/ SF @ approx $1450 on a cbr 125.

Not true on the second point, I'm turning 21, one of my parents owns and rides their own bike, also has mine in their name but I'm listed on the policy. Rate isn't that much higher than if it was just them.

TD MM - Best if you're a current Post-Secondary student or Alumni, insure all bikes (as I recall) and big drop at 25 and 30.
Primmum - Not familiar with them tbh

Primmum is basically TD/TDMM.

@OP: TD will most likely be the only place to give you a quote. I was 18, g1m1 and paid 3700 for a gs500 for the first year.

And that's how primmum/td/etc work. You pay monthly payments from march-september, and october-february is covered also.

^
Sounds about right, I was the same when I was 23 for my GS.

Don't really drop much till you have held your M2 for at least a year.

Not true on the second point, I'm turning 21, one of my parents owns and rides their own bike, also has mine in their name but I'm listed on the policy. Rate isn't that much higher than if it was just them.

It's fraud when you tell the insurance co that you're just an occasional, when in fact you're the primary driver.

Primmum is basically TD/TDMM.

@OP: TD will most likely be the only place to give you a quote. I was 18, g1m1 and paid 3700 for a gs500 for the first year.

And that's how primmum/td/etc work. You pay monthly payments from march-september, and october-february is covered also.

Did you switch with primmum after your first year with your m2, i was quoted after my first year with my m2,a broker at 289 a month. for 12 months, which is alot better.

Actually it is considered insurance fraud (misrepresentation) if you aren't listed as the primary rider when you actually are. Just because you didn't get caught, doesn't mean its legal. Theres a reason why rates are higher if you (a younger person) is insured as a primary rider vs your parent(s) as primary. They dont simply go "Oh, your mom/dad has a motorcycle license so you must be a better, more responsible rider and are less likely to get into an accident"

Last edited:
How are they really going to enforce or figure out who is the primary rider? All one has to say is "well today just happened to be that one day I decided to ride"....and that's if something even happens.

Didnt u say you were 36 in one post?? Lol

Sent from my tablet using my paws

How are they really going to enforce or figure out who is the primary rider? All one has to say is "well today just happened to be that one day I decided to ride"....and that's if something even happens.

This is true.

Another issue is also that if secondary rider gets into an accident, that's a claim on primary rider's insurance for 6/7 years.

If the primary is willing to take this risk, then it's a good deal.

This is true.

Another issue is also that if secondary rider gets into an accident, that's a claim on primary rider's insurance for 6/7 years.

If the primary is willing to take this risk, then it's a good deal.

Note to self: If or when I have a kid and he decides to ride, if he's anything like me, do not let the little ****er in on my insurance...then again I've been claim free my riskiest years which I'd say were 19-now (23) on the bike and since 16 overall.

Don't forget if you do make a large claim/have an accident they could also have someone keep tabs on you if they smell fraud in any way (could easily be cheaper for them than paying out).

I also cannot even begin to fathom what the cost for insurance would be IF you were ever flagged for fraud -- that's if anyone would even insure you again.

Anyhow just my 2 cents, and I'd definitely play anything insurance-wise 'by the books', even if it means paying out the *#& for the first year or two.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are willing to pay pretty high rates..

I'm G2M2
$1809/yr - Fzr400 - when I was 18 last year. Sold the bike after 3months to get a Ex500 - $2273/yr, sold that after new years.

Looking for a new bike now...

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, im new to the world of motorcycles and I'm looking to get my first bike in a couple of weeks, Im 19, have my G1 and M1, i've spent pretty much all day calling every broker in the durham area, not 1 of them gave me a quote, either because i wasn't 25, or didnt have enough experience ( which is understandable). I only got 1 quote the whole day and that was with Primmum, and it was $625 a month for 6 months, the agent on the phone told me that i would be covered for all 12 months, but wouldnt have to pay from October to February. The bike im looking to get is a ninja 300, Im doing my Riders course in april, but the agent told me it wouldnt drop it by much ( LIKE 10-15 dollars ), Can you guys assist a new rider with some tips and/or great places to call (NOT STATEFARM).

Thanks

Here is my advice for you, wait 1 year after your m2. You might desperately want to ride but it isn't worth paying 4000-6000. I am 21 with G/M2 1 year experience in April and will be paying around 2200 for my 09 ninja 250.

I recommend renting motorcycle if you can, with the money you save from insurance you can get gears and mods for your bike.

Didnt u say you were 36 in one post?? Lol

Sent from my tablet using my paws

I dont ever recall saying I was 36 anywhere. If anything, 22 cause I tend to forget how old I am sometimes xP

Would be interesting if you could find that post ;)

Back
Top Bottom