Supermoto Ontario Partners with Avon Tyres on "Come try Supermoto" Program | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supermoto Ontario Partners with Avon Tyres on "Come try Supermoto" Program

Sammer55

Avon Tyres Come Try Supermoto Program

March 13, 2013

Supermoto Ontario is excited to partner with Avon Tyres to create the “Come Try Supermoto” program.

Avon Tyres has stepped up to kickstart a new program enabling those with adult size off-road bikes the opportunity enjoy an all-inclusive package to test out Supermoto for the first time. By providing rental tires that will fit on stock MX wheels along with a set price for all the track fees, Supermoto Ontario and Avon have made it really easy to get in the game and have some fun. $200 covers your temporary race license/ club membership, use of tires, Saturday practice and Sunday race entry for one class. This event weekend will give you plenty of on-track practice leading into your first race with guys and gals at your skill level. It's a great way to enjoy a bike you already own in an all-new way and learn some skills that will make you a better rider.

The Avon Tyres “Come Try Supermoto” program will be offered on three dates for 2013 all at Shannonville Motorsports Park in Shannonville, Ontario. Book a spot for June 15-16, August 10-11 or September 28-29 weekends. *Deposit required.

To make it even easier, riders in the program will have access to free help in setting up the bike, access to riding tips, personal coaching and much more. For safety, bikes will need to be in good working order to start with and have a few simple changes made like swapping coolant for water so they meet track specs.

For more details on and how to take part in the Avon Tyres “Come Try Supermoto” program please visit the Supermoto Ontario Club website at www.supermotoontario.com

A special thank you to Avon Tyres and Parts Canada for bringing this program to life!

Drop us a line to ask any questions and then reserve your spot, as space is limited.

Email: supermotoontario@gmail.com

Re: Supermoto Ontario Partners with Avon Tyres on "Come try Supermoto" Program

Damn... I'm gonna have to try this... I feel it's a slippery slope! Hoping my 250F will be competitive against the 450s.

I'm assuming the class will most likely be a beginner sportsman class?

What gear do guys use? MX boots, helmet and gloves obviously, but what as far as upper body and legs?

What transponders do you guys use? I use the mylaps which CMRC, CMX, MMRS and AMA all use.

Last edited:

We have a bit more information on our website: http://www.supermotoontario.com/2011/03/come-try-supermoto-more-info.html

As for the transponders I am not 100% sure what system Shannonville uses but the transponders have to be rented from them. They run the timing and scoring and it's up to them to charge the transponders and manage all those details. It just makes it much easier for all involved.

We are not running a specific class for riders using these tires because we only have 3 to 4 sets. So you will be put into a class based on your comfort and skill level. Probably the beginner class is where most guys/gals will run. This set up is for beginners. Stock motorcross brakes are not meant for the high break demands of supermoto so if you are really pushing it, you will experience brake fade. That is why all SM racers upgrade to use the larger front disk, caliper and master cylinder. This is just to get you out on the track to try supermoto and see if you like it before you spend the money on a proper set up with 17" wheels and brakes. Try before you buy.

Recommended Gear

· Leather road race style suits are recommended. Let us know your size if you do not own a suit. We may have some spares available to rent for $25 for the weekend.

· Motocross gear is acceptable with knee pads and plastic upper body/chest/shoulder pads. Motocross gear will not last very long sliding across pavement....

· Helmet: Full coverage: Road race style with face shield or motocross style with goggles

· Gloves: Leather palmed, full finger

· Boots: Motocross style boots preferred. Road racing boots will work.

So what if I have a sumo bike already and all the gear. Can i just bring it and run it cheeper? This sounds like the closest thing to a sumo course.

So what if I have a sumo bike already and all the gear. Can i just bring it and run it cheeper? This sounds like the closest thing to a sumo course.
This specific program is designed for those with mx and trail bikes to try supermoto out.

Since you already have a supermoto, look at the supermoto ontario website for the the racing schedule, open practice days, and track days.

Hey Batman85,

If you already have a supermoto bike and want to come out and race it's $30 for Saturday practice and $95 on Sunday for your 1st class and if you enter a second class its another $55. Plus gate fee of $15 for the weekend and transponder rental which is $20 + ($50 refundable deposit when you return it).

So if you run 1 class it will cost you $160 for the weekend.

Did you just purchase a SMO membership today? I saw an email come through from Paypal. If that was you welcome to the club. Great group of riders all very friendly and willing to help each other out. See you at the track.

Hey yeah that was me is there goinh to be any courses like the speed course (but for supermoto) this summer?

Are we required to safety wire our banjo bolts for the weekend for tech?
Catch cans and sliders are no issue to do.

@ batman - what is a speed course?

@ rmemedic - banjo bolts do not need to be safety wired. A little dab of silicone will work perfect.

Oh the FAST school. Ya that is only sportbikes. Short answer is no we don't offer anything close to the training that the FAST school provides for their riders. That school has been around for 26 years and thats a full on business for lead instructor and owner Michel Mercier (3 time Canadian superbike champion). But we are trying to put together a supermoto for newbies course. This might be offered on June 15th. This would be more in the pits training on bike set up, riding position, gear, what to bring to the track, how to prep your bike for a race weekend. Things for the new racer. Then following that there would be open practice on the Saturday for all race participants from 5:30 until dark. During that time there will be people around to ask questions and follow for a lap or 2 to help figure out racing lines. The supermoto paddock is really laid back and everyone is always helping each other.

Cool man. Looking forward to getting out there this summer

N3WMAN are you coming out to ride with us this year?

Pictures of the first bike with the Avon tires mounted. If you've always wanted to try supermoto, now is the time. For more info go to: http://www.supermotoontario.com/

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom