Hypothetical situation - lane split, door prize | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hypothetical situation - lane split, door prize

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Majority's opinion:

Lanesplitting is bad, even the riders think so, and will crucify you if you do. Go to Europe or Asia for nicer people and riders.

Last edited:
You, for lane splitting.

Doesnt make the guy right either.

You, for lane splitting.

I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't the camera allow pretty easy proving of the dude's intention to inflict harm?

You, for lane splitting.

+1

There are no victories, moral or otherwise, when you're on the bike and up against anything on 4 wheels or more.

油井緋色;1960245 said:
I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't the camera allow pretty easy proving of the dude's intention to inflict harm?

Irrelevant when you were blatantly breaking the law by lane splitting.

Irrelevant when you were blatantly breaking the law by lane splitting.

Wait so you're allowed to inflict bodily harm on a motorcycle if they're lane splitting?

From your post it would appear that lane splitting makes intention to kill or hurt irrelevant.

How do you prove that they purposely open the door to inflict harm? The pov of the camera coming from behind the car will likely show nothing.

油井緋色;1960251 said:
Wait so you're allowed to inflict bodily harm on a motorcycle if they're lane splitting?

From your post it would appear that lane splitting makes intention to kill or hurt irrelevant.

stop looking at it from only the perspective you want justified.
you'll keep circle jerking this until you get the replies you want.

here's a thought, don't lane split, and you won't have to deal with this hypothetical scenario. or if you do, hypothetically, lane split, stop recording stupid/illegal things.

How do you prove that they purposely open the door to inflict harm? The pov of the camera coming from behind the car will likely show nothing.

Angry face with middle finger plus "**** you" instead of a "OMG I'M SORRY" reaction? lol I don't know how well that would hold.

stop looking at it from only the perspective you want justified.
you'll keep circle jerking this until you get the replies you want.

here's a thought, don't lane split, and you won't have to deal with this hypothetical scenario. or if you do, hypothetically, lane split, stop recording stupid/illegal things.

Hypothetical is hypothetical, no rider is stupid enough to split in Toronto when people, such as yourself, think lane splitting negates attempted murder or assault.

Last edited:
油井緋色;1960259 said:
Angry face with middle finger plus "**** you" instead of a "OMG I'M SORRY" reaction? lol I don't know how well that would hold.
In a hypothetical situation he couldve been opening the door to do something else (check an ajar door, or trunk or what not) and then got angry at you and gave the finger as you "endangered" him by lane splitting and damaged his beloved car. Possible injury of his leg getting caught between the motorcycle and the door. etc etc
Nobody in the GTA expects to have a bike arrive out of nowhere in stopped traffic so why would he have to check/expect for someone who in his eyes would be breaking the law?

There are tons of ways to look at it.
Just playing the devil's advocate

油井緋色;1960259 said:

Hypothetical is hypothetical, no rider is stupid enough to split in Toronto when people, such as yourself, think lane splitting negates attempted murder or assault.

you're only interpreting what you want to hear. Read my post again.

In a hypothetical situation he couldve been opening the door to do something else (check an ajar door, or trunk or what not) and then got angry at you and gave the finger as you "endangered" him by lane splitting and damaged his beloved car. Possible injury of his leg getting caught between the motorcycle and the door. etc etc
Nobody in the GTA expects to have a bike arrive out of nowhere in stopped traffic so why would he have to check/expect for someone who in his eyes would be breaking the law?

There are tons of ways to look at it.
Just playing the devil's advocate

That's actually a really good pov. Thanks for the insight.

Video, then thread

Hypothetical

油井緋色;1960259 said:

After the fact, doesn't prove intent. But then again I'm no lawyer. I'd be ****** if some guy caused my rates to go up because he couldn't follow the rules. Insurance is a scam as it is.

I'm not expert, but I imagine if you didn't resolve it yourselves and authorities had to get involved, you would both get **** on. The car would be done for something like Improper opening of a vehicle door and you would obviously be done for lane splitting, whatever that falls under.

油井緋色;1960279 said:

Hypothetical

Yeah, there's a lot of "hypothetical" in the insurance and law subforums

油井緋色;1960279 said:

Really? Someone had to provide you a reason for a person getting out of their car, OTHER than to smack a kid lane splitting? How about just, well, for the sake of getting out of the vehicle?

Recording yourself lane splitting, getting boned, and then attempting to blame the guy getting out of his car is a pretty cut-and-dry scenario. Unless, in this "hypothetical" situation, the guy gets out of his car and says something like "I saw you coming and wanted to teach you a lesson; hope you learned it". But even then, you still won't be excused for lane splitting, and the argument for it would be that drivers getting out of their car are a hazard for you, and you to them. All which this hypothetical proves, anyway.

Drivers have an obligation to avoid damage to persons or things even if the driver has "rights". If this is a discussion about an encounter between a bike and a cage the driver will get a ticket and the rider will get a ticket and a broken leg. Not much to discuss IMO video or not.

Back
Top Bottom