No ride for Brett McCormick in 2013 | GTAMotorcycle.com

No ride for Brett McCormick in 2013

Gary64

Site Supporter
It's sad to see that one of Canada's most talented racers can't get a ride. Here's Brett's Facebook post.

Alright everyone, finally have some time to update!

I really appreciate everyone's support and patience with me this silly season. I wish I could tell all of you that I landed the sweetest ride of my career and I'm going to light it up next season, but that's not the case :(

I had some talks with a few teams over the past months, but none of them progressed into a deal. The racing industry is in a tough place right now as everyone knows, and it seems to be getting worse every year. I spoke with teams in WSBK, BSB, AMA and even considered coming back to Canada for a little bit. Like I said, nothing came through for me so I won't be racing in any series this summer.

I would love to continue racing for a living, but I can't justify doing it with the industry like this right now. It's turned into more riders paying for their rides or riding for free than riders making a reasonable living at it. Having my accident this year really opened my eyes. I race motorcyles because I love it. It doesn't matter whether I'm racing a local motocross race, or lining up for a WSBK grid, I get the same enjoyment out of it. I'm not prepared to sacrifice all other aspects of my life just to say I'm a professional superbike racer.

That being said, I plan to race a lot of motocross this summer and keep my skills sharp! I wouldn't hesitate to race superbikes again if it's the right situation for me, but at the moment it doesn't look like that will happen. I'm going back to school while I have this downtime from racing, and going to get that aspect of my life rolling.

I will still be doing some writing for Cycle Canada and hopefully doing some other things within the industry, so don't worry I'm not leaving completely this summer :)

My facebook page will still be updated with everything going on with my racing whether it be testing some bikes for Cycle Canada, racing motocross, or maybe other opportunities that arise.

Cheers everyone!

BRAAAAAP!

what a RETARDED world we live in when Brett can"t get a ride but I just read on road racing world that Melissa Paris just signed a sweet deal in the Daytona sportbike class for the AMA season.......I know I know she probably brought sponsors but what a shame that "LADY PARTS" prevails over talent..........BRETT GROW SOME LADY PARTS........LOL:lmao:

what a RETARDED world we live in when Brett can"t get a ride but I just read on road racing world that Melissa Paris just signed a sweet deal in the Daytona sportbike class for the AMA season.......I know I know she probably brought sponsors but what a shame that "LADY PARTS" prevails over talent..........BRETT GROW SOME LADY PARTS........LOL:lmao:

There's a slim to none chance that she's getting "paid" to ride on that team. I'm sure Brett had the opportunity to pay for a ride too and if a team offered a ride to Brett he would have taken the opportunity. Road racing is in a sad state to say the least and there's just not enough "paid" rides to offer everyone. Good for Melissa getting on a team, it's great for the sport. Good luck to Brett and hopefully he's givin another opportunity to show the world his talent.

I fail to see how its good for the sport that the better rider lost his ride but she didnt cause of her gender

I fail to see how its good for the sport that the better rider lost his ride but she didnt cause of her gender

Lots of quality riders sitting out right now, Gino Rea, Tommy Hill etc etc.

I think everyone needs to understand that she did not "keep her ride or take someone else’s seat". She has been in the industry a very long time and has developed plenty of relationships, yes, some through her husband, and she very likely has a handful of personal sponsors and a pocketful of her own cash which helped secure this ride. Times are incredibly tough in this sport and sponsors and manufactures are pulling out in droves. Now I don't think anyone will disagree that a female racer is likely to generate more exposure and press for their respective sponsors than a comparative male counterpart, but I see nothing wrong with exploiting this opportunity. Because of her efforts a number of mechanics and a crew chief get to have a job this coming season. Is Brett faster than her?...of course he is, but Brett was not in a position to reach into his own pocket to the tune of six figures.

Lots of people said similar things when Chris Clark joined the Yoshimura Suzuki team and Tommy Hayden was released, but few people noted how wealthy Chris's father was. Chris Clark paid in full for that ride and as a result several Yoshimura employees managed to keep their jobs.

It's really too bad. I'll keep his old 600 warm, though.

Marcel Irnie got a ride with Couturier this year: http://irnieracing.com/

I don't know if that would have brought Brett the income he needs, though...

....I don't know if that would have brought Brett the income he needs, though...

I seriously doubt that Marcel and the rest of the Couturier riders are collecting a salary. I also assume you're not talking about CSBK contingencies, it's better than nothing but you can't make a living off that even if he won every single race.

Pay your own way to risk being hurt or killed on our dangerous tracks. It is no wonder some of canadas best racers don't bother anymore.

Last edited:

Melissa Paris 10th at Daytona 200. Just saying.

Melissa Paris 10th at Daytona 200. Just saying.

ya 2 laps down I think Brett would have shown better

Neither of these statements are relevant to Brett having a ride. If either of you could qualify for the race, you could have raced it too. Larry Pegram is riding a graves yamaha, he's not a factory rider, he PAID OUT OF HIS POCKET, obviously Brett was not prepared to pay large sums of money to race in the AMA, it has nothing to do with Melissa Paris' more than likely paid for ride. Congratulations to Melissa, quite trying to downplay her skills and ability, she qualified and has every right to race at that level.

I happened to share track with Melissa Paris last week. She's arguably quicker than 99.9% of us here. And if her husband (or whomever) funded her ride then so what? That's money coming into the sport. When F1 drivers can "buy" their seat then does anyone seriously think AMA has more money than F1 and only selects the best riders?

It's an effed up world we live in. Motorsports are hideously expensive and the best aren't necessarily rising to the top. It's something that fans need to get used to. And 10th at Daytona is pretty damn good in my mind. And yes, she is easy on the eye and she fills her leathers with ladybumps in all the right places.

And yes, she is easy on the eye and she fills her leathers with ladybumps in all the right places.

This statement is useless without pics. :agave:

This statement is useless without pics. :agave:

Here you go.

P7273500.JPG

Oh, you wanted the OTHER pictures :lol:

Here you go.

P7273500.JPG

Oh, you wanted the OTHER pictures :lol:

She looks great from behind. Which is the view I normally got of her. For a brief second or two.

Back
Top Bottom