U.S. sim card when travelling? | GTAMotorcycle.com

U.S. sim card when travelling?

ajaxguy

I remember reading some stuff on this, but not sure how it works. So no android is unlocked and i will be in florida for 2 weeks and want to use my phone. I am driving down as well.
From what I understand is when i reach the u.s. I buy a sim card with a monthly package from at&t or something, and then just put the sim in my phone and use it as normal, but with the u.s. monthly deal i bought( which is usually unlimited everything). Also, does that usually include data??

More info would be appreciated!

So no android is unlocked

That right there is a bit confusing. I can't tell if your phone is unlocked or not.

If it IS unlocked, then yes you will be able to grab a plan and a sim from a US carrier and pop it into your phone. If it is not unlocked then you will have to unlock it first. Also keep in mind that if it is unlocked that some carriers won't work with your phone, depending on their signal and your model of phone. If your phone is with rogers/fido/bell/telus/virgin you will have no problems with AT&T, but T-Mobile uses an AWS network which your phone most likely can't pick up.

If you have a wind/mobilicity phone, T-Mobile will work, and you will be able to text and make calls with AT&T, but their data network runs on a frequency most AWS phones don't support, so data and picture messaging is most likely out of the question. If you have a pentaband phone like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, you should be fine with any carrier.

You want a "pay-as-you-go" plan and most of the networks have them. I usually just add a talk & text plan & use a PAYG virgin mobile MIFI. IIRC, $55 gets you 5GB at 3G and unlimited 4G/LTE data for 30 days. I'm usually calling/texting other family members anyway & don't see the point of setting up new SIM cards for everyone. You wouldn't get your calls either unless you forward all to your new temporary number. A new SIM card wipes all contacts, etc on a BB, so you might want to back it up before you swap SIM cards.

Thats why I love android phones. Instant backup to your google account. Never have to lose a contact again. You can set up a gmail backup for your contacts on iOS as well, but its a little bit of work

ya my phone is on rogers and it is unlocked. It is a samsung galaxy s3. So sounds like any of the at&t monthly plans would be good, or maybe look into the virgin mobile one. I think walmart in the states has all these right in store.

If anyone wants their Android phone unlocked or updated to the newest Operating System (Jelly Bean), please send me a PM.

this seems like it would be more expensive then a regular at&t one, it isnt much data for the 2 weeks i will be there. I will tether my daya as the house i am in will not have wifi, so i will eat that 1.5 gb up fast. If virgin has 5 gb thats huge!

Last time I was in the states, I got a T-Mobile sim with a $30 plan. 5GB of data and 100 minutes of talk, http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

Bought a t-mobile sim card a few years back that I used to use on my trips. But the last few times I didn't....

Try to find a wi-FI based free or almost free phone system..I think I paid Skype for my iPhone ($14) And got unlimited texting and calling using wifi.

But I'm sure there is a way around it. And not paying. Almost every gas station and McDonald has free wifi....so use it.

A lot of my family has iPhones - so its free to iMessage using wifi as well. But I generally stay in touch via email.

what phone did u have though? t mobile has limited speed depending on the phone

Forgot about that, T-Mobile runs on AWS (same as Wind/Mobilicity) for 3G. Was using an AWS compatible HTC

ya thats why... I mean 2g was awesome 4 years ago, but being spoiled with LTE and going to 2g will feel like a real dinosaur. I could deal with 3g though, and those t mobile plans are great but i plan to use the data alot and use it as a hotspot so i need some speed. i think that roammobility is lookin good. it will be $65 for talk, text and 1.5 gb of data.

Also if you do end up burning through the data you can add more data any time.

Just called At&t and for the monthly plan it would be under the gophone and he told me that there would be limited if any coverage for data, only the talk and text would be guaranteed. that blows!

Where did you sign up? No issues with using a Canadian address?

Buy a sim online or at Best Buy, I suggest online as BB gouged me for ~$25. Call them up and sign up. Can't remember if I gave them my real address or a fake US one, I think the latter. It's prepaid so it doesn't matter

Back
Top Bottom