Goddamn brake lines... I need help. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Goddamn brake lines... I need help.

Corsara

Site Supporter
I've been tortured and miserable in my quest for upgrading my brake system (stripped mounting bolts, unexpected caliper seal prices after the fact, etc..). The latest surprise are my Spiegler lines. It all started a few months ago when I ordered a set of Spiegler front lines, only to discover I made a mistake and ordered the "over the fender" type, but it was too late. So I made another order that cost me another 75 bucks---just the left line.

Now I proceeded to finally install the lines only to discover they are short. Then I realized the reason(s): I have heli bars, which are about 10mm higher than parallel clip-ons. Also, I'm not using the standard stock master cylinder, but an Accossato radial, whose banjo opening points straight down... I'll be damned..

Please, good people, help me. I am so frustrated at this point I'm ready to order new "custom" lines. Please answer these questions for me:

1) With radial master cylinder, do I need 90 degree banjo fittings, which will make the lines point down?

2) Where are the lines supposed to go---in front of the forks or behind the forks (looking at the bike from the front)?

Damn damn damn

Whatever you do. Make sure the lines are nowhere near your rotors, even with suspension compressed. This goes for anyone adjusting clipons as well. Check those lines for rotor contact.

1) Sounds like a good solution, why not?

2) Whichever route is shortest, but behind is preferable if possible to prevent them flapping against the forks.

Don't forget to make sure the forks can extend fully!

Disclaimer: Others here know 1000% more than me on the subject.

Call up spiegler and tell them what kind of master and calipers your using,I ordered a set of custom lines from them last week,they were very helpful on the phone.

If you can't recall the route of your stock brake lines try to find a picture on da interwebz and use it for reference.

I hope you have a front stand that lift's the bike via the triple clamp because when you take measurements for your custom lines you need to have the suspension unloaded.Tygon tube is good to use for measuring lengths for custom lines,stick one end to each caliper and the other to the master,use duct tape for super stickyness.While the bike is up on the stand turn the bars lock to lock to make sure their is no binding and everything is where it needs to be,lower the bike off the stand,compress the forks and repeat turning the bars lock to lock again to ensure there is no binding.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Take your bike to Pro 6. They will make custom lines to fit on the spot and you know it will be done properly. The price isn't even that bad from what I recall.

+1 to taking it to someone who can measure it and accurately get you what you need. I don't know Speigler's policies, but you can try returning the parts or selling them on here.

Or, if you have the stock bar set up, put that back on. Aren't heli bars more of a "commuter thing"? (I have never used them, just asking).

Yeah I'll use some tygon tubing to take exact measurements and decide the type of fittings. And yes, I have it on the triple tree stand in order to have suspension completely unloaded.

All you guys running brembo's and other radials with the opening pointing down, can you look and tell me what the two lines fittings at the master look like? Are they both 90 degree ones, or just one? It's easy to imagine, but hard to tell in reality if it is gonna be any good.

Or, if you have the stock bar set up, put that back on. Aren't heli bars more of a "commuter thing"? (I have never used them, just asking).

These heli bars I have are not those that rise the bars a lot, they are less than 1/2 inch. But yeah, maybe I should get stock clip ons. Anyone knows if chinese cheap clip-ons are any good? Here is an example.

I've only had the Vortex clip-ons. As long as they fit the major brand bars, I don't see any harm in it. But if they don't... good luck ordering from China at the race track :p. But it's hard to say how durable/reliable the tube clips will be.

Those look like "straight" bars, I prefer the vortex ones with the 7 degree slope (more comfortable, at least for me).

I've only had the Vortex clip-ons. As long as they fit the major brand bars, I don't see any harm in it. But if they don't... good luck ordering from China at the race track :p. But it's hard to say how durable/reliable the tube clips will be.

Those look like "straight" bars, I prefer the vortex ones with the 7 degree slope (more comfortable, at least for me).

The description actually states "The handlebar tubes have 7 degree angles on the bars"...

tuqa5yqy.jpg

Here is mine. I can come buy and help if you want

Here is mine. I can come buy and help if you want

I like it, that's what I want. From Spiegler's list of different fittings (found here), would you say your m/c fittings are #004 or #017?

Are you free to come today about 8ish (@work until then), show me how to route these suckers? I'll get some tubes and some duct tape.. It's all the way in Hamilton though..

Also , niagara race crafters makes lines too, you could bring them there

I set my heart on Spieglers... how are the prices and quality of the NRC?

i would say its more like 45* then a 70*
what i would do is ....measure from the master all the way down the factory line, to the caliper, same on the other side. take the master banjo bolt and the caliper banjo bolt to niagara race crafters, they can match up your fitting size, and go off your measurements to make your line.
there stuff is top notch.

i dont see how they cant be long enough, they should go from the caliper, behind the forks and to the master with some room to play.

what i would do is ....measure from the master all the way down the factory line, to the caliper, same on the other side. take the master banjo bolt and the caliper banjo bolt to niagara race crafters, they can match up your fitting size, and go off your measurements to make your line.
there stuff is top notch.

i dont see how they cant be long enough, they should go from the caliper, behind the forks and to the master with some room to play.

Only that they don't...well, the left one doesn't. See, my stock lines are over the fender (1 from master down to right caliper, then another from the right caliper to the left caliper). Additionally, the stock master is standard type and it's opening points to the side, so when you put a straight banjo, the line points down. The radial master opens at the bottom, which results into the line being horizontal with the ground if you use a straight(er) banjo fitting. That's why the "stock" Spiegler lines for my bike don't work with my setup :(

Here, you can see what I mean:

P1110155_zps18945984.jpg

Last edited:

I would assume the one closer to the master cylinder is the left line as it is longer, is that a good assumption? So, your longer left line is at 45*, and the right hand line is at 70*?

I just want to find a setup I like, and once I have the lenghts, place the order and avoid becoming a storage unit for useless lines..

Back
Top Bottom