Password protect your phones | GTAMotorcycle.com

Password protect your phones

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
At least until an appeal may be heard in this case: http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10506776

Keep in mind the sort of things that you might have on your smart phones; private email and chats, photos, GPS applications....... The last is something that could provide evidence against you in something like a speeding case, if data is recorded and not just displayed at the moment.

I believe that a court ruled that GPS data is inadmissable so I would bet that GPS data on a Smartphone would also be inadmissable.

BTW, a couple of years ago I had an OPP officer pull me over. He started looking at my Zumo for the Max Speed on the GPS. I told him it wouldn't help him and showed him the reading. It was over 800 kph. I told him my bike was fast but not that fast and he laughed. (I had used in on a flight south.)

Still a good idea to lock the phones though.

..Tom

If you are going to do illegal **** and be a dumbass and have evidence of said **** on your phone you may not want to travel with said phones hike on vacation too. Warrants are not needed when going through customs.

I believe that a court ruled that GPS data is inadmissable so I would bet that GPS data on a Smartphone would also be inadmissable.

BTW, a couple of years ago I had an OPP officer pull me over. He started looking at my Zumo for the Max Speed on the GPS. I told him it wouldn't help him and showed him the reading. It was over 800 kph. I told him my bike was fast but not that fast and he laughed. (I had used in on a flight south.)

..Tom

So what did the cop do? Laugh and walk away?

Locking phones is always a good line of security (especially for smartphones). Information acquired on your smartphone can EASILY be used to steal identities/money/information if you were to lose it.

As for using GPS records in court, good luck (to the cops)... If we can't use it to prove that we weren't speeding, I doubt they can use it against us for speeding because "it isnt a proper speed measuring device".

..Tom

I can't see where the bad GPS news comes from unless the speed is date stamped. The 175 KPH could have been at a track, when used by a friend, on an airplane etc. On the other hand if it only showed a max speed of 80 KPH then it gets you off any highway ticket.

I can't see where the bad GPS news comes from unless the speed is date stamped. The 175 KPH could have been at a track, when used by a friend, on an airplane etc. On the other hand if it only showed a max speed of 80 KPH then it gets you off any highway ticket.

Here is the kind of information that a Garmin GPS records:

Index Date, time, elevation, leg length, leg elapsed time,Leg speed, heading and location

197 25/05/2012 8:14:58 AM 248 m 202 m 0:00:09 81 km/h 252° true N44 01.992 W79 34.600
198 25/05/2012 8:15:07 AM 244 m 39 m 0:00:03 47 km/h 251° true N44 01.959 W79 34.744
199 25/05/2012 8:15:10 AM 243 m 10 m 0:00:01 37 km/h 237° true N44 01.952 W79 34.772

date, time, location and speed are all recorded. I'm sure that pretty much all GPS systems record this information and all devices with a GPS chip are certainly capable of recording this information.

I am not a lawyer and don`t have any legal training, but from what I`ve read the courts have said that this information is inadmissable for speeding, but I don't know if it is inadmissable with respect to showing where you are at what time.

..Tom

Yes, but I am just as sure if it showed 140 kph the officer would be much less inclined to give someone a break as it might look to the officer that you have been speeding.

..Tom

I'm assuming a locking pattern would also count as a password?

Password protect and setup encryption on your phone if your phone allows it(most new phones do) vital to deter I'd theifs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If they get a warrant do you HAVE to provide your password? What if you refuse? Will they hammer your knees? Charge you?

If they get a warrant do you HAVE to provide your password? What if you refuse? Will they hammer your knees? Charge you?

It would be hard to get a warrant, unless they figured criminal activitiy.
In which time you could also erase the said info from your phone too I guess.

Same as them getting a warrant to come into your house. You step aside, or they will help you step aside........... So there is no refusal as far as i'm aware once a warrant would be issued.

If they were planning on obtaining a warrant to search the contents of the phone police would retain custody of it, in order to preclude destruction of evidence. You wouldn't get the chance to erase the contents.

If they were planning on obtaining a warrant to search the contents of the phone police would retain custody of it, in order to preclude destruction of evidence. You wouldn't get the chance to erase the contents.

Couldn't you just remotely erase the contents of the phone with a find your iPhone or similar type app w/ an erase phone option?

Couldn't you remotely just erase the contents of the phone with a find your iPhone or similar type app w/ an erase phone option?

Only if it's turned on and you'd be risking some pretty serious charges so what's on the phone had better point to even worse charges, if you're going to risk that.

Couldn't you just remotely erase the contents of the phone with a find your iPhone or similar type app w/ an erase phone option?

There are simple ways to prevent remote wiping, such as a faraday bag.

...oke, again, what if you just "forget"the password?

If they have a warrant can they charge you if you don't provide the password?

Also note:
"The Court of Appeal for Ontario says it's all right for police to have a cursory look through the phone upon arrest if it's not
password protected, but if it is, investigators should get a search warrant."

So it's not like the cop can take just take your phone at a traffic stop to check top speed.

Last edited:
...oke, again, what if you just "forget"the password?

If they have a warrant can they charge you if you don't provide the password?

Techies don't need a password once they have their warrant. If for whatever reason they couldn't hack the phone, they'd just disassemble it and access the storage media directly without fussing with the OS and its password.

Back
Top Bottom