Definition of "modified"? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Definition of "modified"?

The list of unacceptable modifications varies widely from insurer to insurer. I have seen a couple of these lists, and unfortunately it appears as if they were written by an underwriter who has no experience with bikes, and for people who have no experience with bikes. They are complete with pictures of how to identify an aftermarket pipe, how to identify a sport motorcycle, etc. I've seen aftermarket pipes and power commanders listed on the "not approved modifications" list. Frankly, I think that's just stupid, but it's the unfortunate reality. I believe that these lists are larger than they need to be so that they can deny a risk if they need to; however, I've never heard of anyone being denied for a pipe before. Seriously . . . what SS bike out there doesn't have an aftermarket pipe? :p

Handlebars, foot pegs, etc are generally ok. State Farm and several other companies said suspension changes are fine but you cannot change the height, geometry, etc for any reason. Exhaust mods are a "gray area". Power Commander or the like for tuning is not permitted as it is seen as a "power modification". Same with most/all intake mods. Forced induction of any kind is almost never allowed.

Same applies to cars. Either you risk it and perform insurance fraud by not disclosing your mods, or you just don't tinker much. I guess if you're lucky you can find a company that will be fine with it but those are rare.

I know Wawanesa insurance told me even adding things like turbos and superchargers are fine and they'll just charge you an extra premium for the extra HP but they were also a terrible insurance company.

I was just denied insurance because of an aftermarket exhaust.

A lot of myths floating around about mods. Anything short of a turbo, supercharger or other extreme engine performance upgrade is fine. No insurance company cares about your aftermarket pipe or suspension bits.

This should make the insurance writers quake in their boots.

Fin_zps1f358898.jpg

50% increase in displacement
24mm carb with accelerator pump
manual clutch

and a few other tricks.

Last edited:
Will increasing brake performance be a major nono? Say your bike came with one rotor and you added another one to i crease raking power " for safety"

A lot of myths floating around about mods. Anything short of a turbo, supercharger or other extreme engine performance upgrade is fine. No insurance company cares about your aftermarket pipe or suspension bits.
You're likely right about the exhaust but they don't like lowered or raised vehicles.

Primmium which is now TD I believe.
She said it is because of the exhaust, but I believe the bike is on her black list.

This kind of thing is why insurance companies need to be on a single, government regulated "language" of coverage criteria. Not to derail the thread, but I was trying to sell a litre bike a while back to a friend, who happened to be insured at the same company. They declined to insure him at all, citing a "blacklisted bike". They were insuring it at the time, lol. The official reason? They made an exception for me because I had been insured with them for so long. My buddy was older, better driving record, same company, and in a lower rated postal code. Go figure

as far as I know, Primmum/TD Meloche has no issues with aftermarket exhausts.

I just told them it was to replace the stock exhaust. I do not believe insurers can mandate that you use OEM parts.

Raising/lower the bike or forced induction where absolute no-no's, however.

Also, coverage did not extend to any "aftermarket" replacement parts. eg. while discussing my payout, prices for the aftermarket mirrored windshield, the pazzo levers, or the chromed hand rail were not considered. They would only consider the cost of a "stock" bike.

Also, coverage did not extend to any "aftermarket" replacement parts. eg. while discussing my payout, prices for the aftermarket mirrored windshield, the pazzo levers, or the chromed hand rail were not considered. They would only consider the cost of a "stock" bike.

I know state farm doesn't mind cosmetic mods.
They paid out for my aftermarket exhaust, levers, bar ends, windscreen, bar ends and rear sets.

I know state farm doesn't mind cosmetic mods.
They paid out for my aftermarket exhaust, levers, bar ends, windscreen, bar ends and rear sets.

The full amount?

Primmum's argument was that whether I had the OEM exhaust on the bike, or an aftermarket, I still had a single exhaust (not both an OEM and an aftermarket). Same for windshield, bar ends, levers, grab bar, etc. Since they were only insuring a "stock bike", so their argument went, they were going to treat the aftermarket bits as replacements for OEM parts, ie. coverage as a stock bike.

I had a big problem finding insurance for my new bike. The Black list Sucks POOP.

Insurance companies are generally very evasive about defining anything or giving out particulars on how they settle things. I guess that's part of keeping their competition in the dark.

With motor vehicle insurance there seems to be enough legislation to keep them in check. It is rare that they don't pay on the big stuff like liability. If you lose out on gear or equipment upgrades on a bike it is rarely the end of your financial world. If they reneged on liability after you injured a lawyer you best get used to sleeping under a bridge.

If you research some other branches of the insurance industry you will find they have a pretty poor reputation for taking care of their clients.

With that said, the only reason I pay insurance, is so that I have the right to ride on Ontario roads.
If I have an accident, I will hound them until I get proper compensation. That goes without saying.
They will never step forward and just give me what is owed to me.

the lowering boggles the mind. I get that taking a sport bike a turn into a stretched out low rider but drooping a Vstrom 3/4' so that it fits you inseam better.. Honestly they rules just don't make sense!

With that said, the only reason I pay insurance, is so that I have the right to ride on Ontario roads.
If I have an accident, I will hound them until I get proper compensation. That goes without saying.
They will never step forward and just give me what is owed to me.

SF actually paid me out $500 less than I paid for my bike and I got to keep it and fix it myself. (All cosmetic damage)
I paid $4200 for my bike and if they wrote it off they were going to give me $4800 + tax.
We cut a deal for $3700 I would keep my bike unbranded and fix it myself. (Fixed it for $1600 and put $2K in my pocket)

So what are the chances of having a claim denied if I decided to supercharge my ss?

There is a very good chance the claim being denied, if not denied you will not get the payout to replace the supercharger and mods and possibly you will be cancelled at renewal.

Back
Top Bottom