Definition of "modified"? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Definition of "modified"?

BNKN

Changed exhaust and tune FI to match. Upgrade shocks and modify stock forks, handlebars, tankbag etc. Insurance will ask if bike is modified. Is it? What's the right answer? TIA

Changed exhaust and tune FI to match. Upgrade shocks and modify stock forks, handlebars, tankbag etc. Insurance will ask if bike is modified. Is it? What's the right answer? TIA

The right answer is to call them and ask, other than that you are going to get answer ranging from adding stickers to adding a turbo.

I think tank bag is safely off the mod list lol. Forks are probably fine as well.

Back when I first signed up I asked SF what they consider "mods". I was told they're only concerned with mods that make the bike more powerful. They also said that exhaust systems are 50/50 and that I'd have to call them to be sure it's ok to do. I've never called them. Instead, I install the slip-on before I take the bike over to be photographed and they've never said anything.

The right answer is to call them and ask, other than that you are going to get answer ranging from adding stickers to adding a turbo.

I've been thru this before, dealing with a girl (no disrespect) at a call center. It's a prickly situation. Obviously a pipe and tune is for performance. So is everybody with that mod and/or re-engineered suspension paying a higher rate or leaving themselves exposed?

I just got off the phone with Ins.Co. The nice lady seemed satisfied when I said the tune makes the bike run better, cooler etc. rather than hp increase. That's fine but what if I need (big if, hopefully) to make a huge claim.

I'd like to hear from industry insider. Thanks for responses so far:cool:

...what if I need (big if, hopefully) to make a huge claim.

My last bike was written off and they didn't say squat then either. I know, it's just another personal experience but thought I'd post anyway. Think you'll need to find someone who works for your particular insurance co.

Changed exhaust and tune FI to match. Upgrade shocks and modify stock forks, handlebars, tankbag etc.

Why do people feel the need to come into forums and talk about how "modified" their bike is blablabla..

People that really have an "upgraded" or modded bike normally don't say anything

It's like fast riders, they normally don't show off or post their lap times or videos

Kind of sad really

My last bike was written off and they didn't say squat then either. I know, it's just another personal experience but thought I'd post anyway. Think you'll need to find someone who works for your particular insurance co.

Good to know and I think you're right.

Any Primmum folks here?

Why do people feel the need to come into forums and talk about how "modified" their bike is blablabla..

People that really have an "upgraded" or modded bike normally don't say anything

It's like fast riders, they normally don't show off or post their lap times or videos

Kind of sad really

Funny guy:D

For me, SF didn't care much about anything that I had on my ZX-11. This swings both ways, however - my bike was written off, and when talking to the adjuster about valuation of said modifications, certain things counted towards the value (e.g. full exhaust) and certain things did not (e.g. Corbin seat, ZG bubble windscreen)

Kind of sad really

Did you read past the second period?

As far as the definition of "modified" goes, your bike certainly fits it, no question.

As far as your insurance provider is considered, the only "industry" insider" who is going to give you the most relevant answer is the one who writes your policy. Try speaking with some else at the insurance company if you weren't satisfied with the answer they gave you the first time. Keep in mind, if you start fishing for answers, they'll take note.

I called SF and told them I had a modded exhaust. They asked for pictures and the brand of the exhaust. The lady sent the pictures to Head Office to be evaluated over the weekend, on Monday, I got an email back saying the exhaust is ok and wont bring up my premium. I think it depends on who you talk to. Some companies might go off and raise your premium for a simple slip-on. Considering the list of mods you got on your bike, they would probably look into it more than they did with my single exhaust mod.

A mod is anything that alters the manufacturers original specs. You don't need to call them for rim tape or cosmetics. If you're in any way concerned you should call in and ask. They will note the file and then you're gold. Remember that if there is a discrepancy the the benefit goes to the insured not the insurer, so as long as you have called and disclosed you're fine.
That being said things like slip ons and power commanders are typically fine. They're more concerned about extended swing arms and nitrous.

A mod is anything that alters the manufacturers original specs. You don't need to call them for rim tape or cosmetics. If you're in any way concerned you should call in and ask. They will note the file and then you're gold. Remember that if there is a discrepancy the the benefit goes to the insured not the insurer, so as long as you have called and disclosed you're fine.
That being said things like slip ons and power commanders are typically fine. They're more concerned about extended swing arms and nitrous.

What about a quickshifter? I'm scared to call.

Bear in mind that I don't insure you so I can only speculate BUT I see no issue with a quick shifter. It's not 'really' changing the specs, it's just automating the process. I work on the claims side of things and haven't sold in a long time but I personally would have no problem with it.

It's not 'really' changing the specs, it's just automating the process.

From that point of view, I guess I should be fine. But my SF agent worded it as "anything that's designed to increase performance". Now a quickshifter may not technically increase the bike's performance, but one can argue that it's designed to decrease your travel time.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to call.

"anything that's designed to increase performance".

Read: make bike go faster.

You should call and sell it on the fact that it automates the shifting process. Lets leave the 'so I can mash thru gears WOT' part out.
I'm not saying that they will or won't allow it. I'm only saying that personally I wouldn't have an issue with it as a broker. And as an adjuster you won't get much for it, so again, I wouldn't care.

A lot of myths floating around about mods. Anything short of a turbo, supercharger or other extreme engine performance upgrade is fine. No insurance company cares about your aftermarket pipe or suspension bits.

A lot of myths floating around about mods. Anything short of a turbo, supercharger or other extreme engine performance upgrade is fine. No insurance company cares about your aftermarket pipe or suspension bits.

I sure hope you're correct. After 40+ riding seasons, it's only the last 5 or so that I recall being asked about mods. Every bike gets fettled to some degree, by definition being "modified". Why don't they just come out and say what they mean?
If I do benign things like springs, cartridge emulators, shocks, open airbox/rejet etc. you just know, in some money grubbing pencil pushers mind thats an opportunity. So now I have to clear these things with a desk jockey? Boy am I glad I'm old.

I sure hope you're correct. After 40+ riding seasons, it's only the last 5 or so that I recall being asked about mods. Every bike gets fettled to some degree, by definition being "modified". Why don't they just come out and say what they mean?
If I do benign things like springs, cartridge emulators, shocks, open airbox/rejet etc. you just know, in some money grubbing pencil pushers mind thats an opportunity. So now I have to clear these things with a desk jockey? Boy am I glad I'm old.

You're completely missing the point. It's not used as a reason to deny claims. Paying out for a wrecked bike is literally nothing......it's not even close to 1% of an insurance company's payout. Bikes are cheap and as long as you didn't straight up lie to the binding agent/broker you'll be covered. The point of asking about mods is to mitigate potential liability. It's the 17 year old kid who just bought a turbo gsxr that scares insurance companies. And again, they couldn't care less about the cost of the bike. It's that the potential for that kid, on that bike to hurt himself, or worse hurt someone else. That's where the money goes.

My company stopped writing bikes awhile back so I am 100% sure that I don't insure anyone on this forum. Because of that all of my answers will err on the side of caution and will default to 'if unsure consult your own agent/broker'. Most mods will be acceptable as long as they don't drastically alter the original specs. And as for the minority that don't qualify there are specialty markets.

Last edited:
You're completely missing the point. It's not used as a reason to deny claims. Paying out for a wrecked bike is literally nothing......it's not even close to 1% of an insurance company's payout. Bikes are cheap and as long as you didn't straight up lie to the binding agent/broker you'll be covered. The point of asking about mods is to mitigate potential liability. It's the 17 year old kid who just bought a turbo gsxr that scares insurance companies. And again, they couldn't care less about the cost of the bike. It's that the potential for that kid, on that bike to hurt himself, or worse hurt someone else. That's where the money goes.

My company stopped writing bikes awhile back so I am 100% sure that I don't insure anyone on this forum. Because of that all of my answers will err on the side of caution and will default to 'if unsure consult your own agent/broker'. Most mods will be acceptable as long as they don't drastically alter the original specs. And as for the minority that don't qualify there are specialty markets.

OK, this is what I'm trying to get at. It's all sunshine when you hand over the premiums but in the event of a huge payout you know the seven savage Jews (no disrespect) will scrutineer all documents and recorded conversations 6 ways to Hannakah. I'm hearing you say that's not the case.

Back
Top Bottom