Gorilla vs Scorpio Alarm Systems | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gorilla vs Scorpio Alarm Systems

dsburfitt

Hey Guys, I have been shopping around for an alarm to put in my bike. I have been looking for a review for either the Scorpio i900 or the Gorilla 7K series alarms. I cant seem to find anything that makes either stand out...

What I get from it, is the gorilla seems a bit more basic of an alarm?

Also, hows installation of these. Shop is trying to charge me 4 hours of labour :S....trying to see if i should chance it and put it in myself.

Don't buy gorilla, i got one. The sensitivity sensor sucks, the tilt sensor sucks...

Go Scorpio, more dollars but worth it in my opinion

Haha, yeah its almost double in price!
I guess it comes down to, you get what you pay for or?

Dealer told me both were reputable brands, but the price of the unit + installation i think is a bit steep

Haha, yeah its almost double in price!
I guess it comes down to, you get what you pay for or?

Dealer told me both were reputable brands, but the price of the unit + installation i think is a bit steep
You can install both yourself, I did.

4 hrs is ridiculous...let me guess the shop, snowcity?

Haha close, they've already had their fair share of ripping me off...Brampton Powersports.

Yeah i see you have it in a 750, thats what im planning on putting it on myself. I figured an hour, maybe two would have been enough time to put it in by the unskilled tech.

I installed a ir800 in 10 minutes in my sv using the Scorpio install kit made for the bike plug and go. Ir800 is not a bad option and is only 200 including bike specific install kit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Haha close, they've already had their fair share of ripping me off...Brampton Powersports.

Yeah i see you have it in a 750, thats what im planning on putting it on myself. I figured an hour, maybe two would have been enough time to put it in by the unskilled tech.
Call Dave at Competition Cycle, I am not sure if he does that kind of work but he will not over charge you.

does anyone even pay attention to alarms anymore? I'd be more inclined to spend my money on something where I can track my vehicle.

I've had a Scorpio SR-i900R in each of my bikes over the years, as well as my GF's bike. Can't speak for Gorilla though I've known a few riders who had them.

I've always thought of the bike alarms as more of an idiot deterrent than a theft deterrent/prevention measure; if a skilled & confident thief wants the bike, they'll get it, that's what theft insurance is for. But at least it stops kids etc from sitting on/playing with the bike etc, which I used to catch people doing all the time prior to getting the alarm.

All that said, I've come across an issue with my current unit; for whatever reason, the Tilt sensor likes to randomly go off and it freaked me out the first few times it happened. I was sure someone was messing with my bike at night, but I've since witnessed the alarm trip for no apparent reason on numerous occasions. Possibly a defective unit, as I've also had the Proximity sensor chirp for no apparent reason at times too.

Bottom line, having anything is better than nothing, if only for the added peace of mind -- just make sure it's not your only theft protection, ALWAYS have theft coverage on your insurance plan...

does anyone even pay attention to alarms anymore? I'd be more inclined to spend my money on something where I can track my vehicle.

perhaps if you get one that yells "fire"

Just bought a i900 myself 2 days ago. They had it for $249 for 1-day only. I also read that it's pretty much plug'n play if you also purchase the connector kit for your manufacturer. Shipping was on the expensive side.

Edit: Looks like it's on sale until the 28th

Last edited:
I've had a Scorpio SR-i900R in each of my bikes over the years, as well as my GF's bike. Can't speak for Gorilla though I've known a few riders who had them.

I've always thought of the bike alarms as more of an idiot deterrent than a theft deterrent/prevention measure; if a skilled & confident thief wants the bike, they'll get it, that's what theft insurance is for. But at least it stops kids etc from sitting on/playing with the bike etc, which I used to catch people doing all the time prior to getting the alarm.

All that said, I've come across an issue with my current unit; for whatever reason, the Tilt sensor likes to randomly go off and it freaked me out the first few times it happened. I was sure someone was messing with my bike at night, but I've since witnessed the alarm trip for no apparent reason on numerous occasions. Possibly a defective unit, as I've also had the Proximity sensor chirp for no apparent reason at times too.

Bottom line, having anything is better than nothing, if only for the added peace of mind -- just make sure it's not your only theft protection, ALWAYS have theft coverage on your insurance plan...

Fit for a sticky. The Gorillas are just as unreliable. Vibration sensor tripped at every opportunity. Definitely thought someone was messing around. Then I caught it in the act as a fire truck drove by slowly. The adjustable sensitivity didn't help; fortunately, you could disable that option. The tilt sensor would only activate when the bike was pulled upright, which wouldn't do much to discourage sitters posing for photos. Bottom line, it keeps your insurance company happy. It might scare off turkeys or thieves.

Not sure about the Gorilla, but the Scorpio's nicest feature is that you never have to turn the alarm on/off, the key fob and ignition will do that for you. Worry-free, and beeps to let you know it's armed or disarmed for peace of mind. Definitely more of an idiot deterrant. Tilt sensor seems crap on mine, but the prox sensor works quite well.

If you were willing to pay an hour or so for a mechanic to install it, just spend the $40 to get the proper harness and it's plug & play.

If you were willing to pay an hour or so for a mechanic to install it, just spend the $40 to get the proper harness and it's plug & play.

Except that some insurance companies (TD for one) require professional installation.

Just bought a i900 myself 2 days ago. They had it for $249 for 1-day only. I also read that it's pretty much plug'n play if you also purchase the connector kit for your manufacturer. Shipping was on the expensive side.Edit: Looks like it's on sale until the 28th
Where is the i900 on sale? I have a Gorilla 8017 (or whatever it is called -- has the 2-way remote) but wouldn't mind upgrading if it is more reliable and doesn't suck as much life out of the bike's battery.

An alarm helps keep the kiddies off your bike by embarrassing their idiotic parents

I have a 9 year old Scorpio that has all the bells and whistles, and has been installed by me in 3 bikes. No issues and flawless performance. I have also had 3 Gorilla alarms that have all drained batteries and never worked properly. The Scorpio also has a $20 dollar adaptor to make installs a breeze.

No brainer, Scorpio.

Back
Top Bottom