What are your lap times? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your lap times?

Take a late/wide entry, let it hang out a bit in the early part of the carousel and then dive for the apex mid-turn. You can go over or around the concrete patch but either way is a bit risky and you'll be off-line.

2:00 at SMPLT is kind of the barrier for a lot of track day riders. You need to have suspension and you need to have guts to get past it. There's lots more time you can shave off, but your bike will be moving around a lot, and that gets people twitchy.

My goal is a 1 55 this year. We will see. Thanks for the tip.

Take a late/wide entry, let it hang out a bit in the early part of the carousel and then dive for the apex mid-turn. You can go over or around the concrete patch but either way is a bit risky and you'll be off-line.

2:00 at SMPLT is kind of the barrier for a lot of track day riders. You need to have suspension and you need to have guts to get past it. There's lots more time you can shave off, but your bike will be moving around a lot, and that gets people twitchy.

The carousel is Long Track turn 4???

Now we are talking about a different corner... I consider the carousel 6a/6b. I call 4a/4b "the toilet bowl". Because if you get it wrong, you flush your lap time.

That one is better to take slightly slower in and then gas the @#$^ out of it at the apex of 4a and knife the bike into 4b on neutral throttle, then slide the bike a bit out to the curbing when you get back on the gas, for me this is usually third gear (gsx-r 1000). Usually I take 5 by a short-shift into 4th as I approach and full throttle out of it, but I have a quick shifter... You can try to take 4a at a higher speed but it quite often is a bit slick and/or has marbles on the outside of it, so it's more risky than trying to take it a bit slower and then accelerating hard through the short chute leading to 4b... also you run the risk of running out of track coming out of 4a if you get it wrong.

I'm not sure there's an absolutely "right" line for 4a/4b because people have been arguing about how to best it for a long, long time.

Now we are talking about a different corner... I consider the carousel 6a/6b. I call 4a/4b "the toilet bowl". Because if you get it wrong, you flush your lap time.

That one is better to take slightly slower in and then gas the @#$^ out of it at the apex of 4a and knife the bike into 4b on neutral throttle, then slide the bike a bit out to the curbing when you get back on the gas, for me this is usually third gear (gsx-r 1000). Usually I take 5 by a short-shift into 4th as I approach and full throttle out of it, but I have a quick shifter... You can try to take 4a at a higher speed but it quite often is a bit slick and/or has marbles on the outside of it, so it's more risky than trying to take it a bit slower and then accelerating hard through the short chute leading to 4b... also you run the risk of running out of track coming out of 4a if you get it wrong.

I'm not sure there's an absolutely "right" line for 4a/4b because people have been arguing about how to best it for a long, long time.

Ok. Sorry about that. Yes I love 6A hate 6B. Used to be the other way round. I haven't figured out my bodyshift and set for 6B since I have picked up my speed thru 6A now.

Ya I'd argue that. My two cents.

4a requires a late turn in but not too late because there are marbles out there and it can be greasy. I still get sucked into turning in too early.

Turn in late and hold a steady line that hits the apex then shoots to the right side before 4b. Roll off a little, or drag the rear brake a little, to tighten the line into 4b. Pull in your knee so the turtle doesn't rip your leg off and you can stay inside the rough stuff... Then get on the gas hard and get to the right.

For 6a/b. There is a smoother line in but you can't start wide. Its about the middle of the track and you'll end up going through 6a still on the brakes not fully turned in yet. You can go pretty deep on the brakes there, its one of my fav places to pass. If you get it right your line will shoot you between the turtle and concrete in 6b. Try not to go past mid-track and get back to the left before throwing it over into 7. If you get it right the exit of 6b puts you right into the entry of 7.

Hope that helps

Can we talk about eating cheeseburgers??

It's the only thing I'm good at.

5 Tips to drop your times ...

Cut it up. Instead of trying to take a bite out of the burger as a big whole, cut it into halves or even quarters. Then, you can pick up the smaller pieces and eat those.

Hold it correctly. If, however, you'd prefer to eat the burger without cutting it up, be sure to hold it correctly. Grab the burger with both hands. A one handed "cool" look is when you get into trouble

Do not squeeze it too hard. If you do that, that is when the juices start to get all over you.

Chew with your mouth closed. Nobody wants to see chewed-up hamburger working its way around your mouth.

Don't talk with your mouth full. For the same reason as above, this is a no-no. Try not to talk in between bites, this often distracts you, and then the burger starts dripping all over you.

..eating a burger

Too much thinking going on... You are supposed to think about what your going to have for dinner and drink for the evening while you are riding...

Things like..
"I think I smell a BBQ..." (next time around) "Yup, I did!"
"Did I just kill that poor butterfly"
"That a**hole thinks he is going up the inside... well I got news for him!"
"Bet I can go into that turn harder and faster this time then last time"

And yes... I am being dead serious about overthiking all this. Humans can't process that much information in those time frames... It has to become learned reactions IMO...

In 4 years of racing, I don't think I EVER picked a brake marker other then... "Turn coming... turn coming.. turn coming... NOW".

Maybe others can... but I couldn't do things like pick points and expect to react... Maybe that is why I was always "lucky" with respect to highsides... by the time I figured out what was going on, the bike had straightened out and I was long past the point of interfering with the machines abilities lol...

Pfff u guyz are doing it all wrong.

Removing brakes is the only way to go. Get rid of those Brembo brakes crap, that's only for posers

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

4a requires a late turn in but not too late because there are marbles out there and it can be greasy. I still get sucked into turning in too early.

Agreed so far. I also mentioned the marbles. Yes I nearly crashed #9 this summer there... :(

Turn in late and hold a steady line that hits the apex then shoots to the right side before 4b.

And this is where we diverge a bit, however I will try dragging the rear brake through there, as that might solve (or save) issues with running out of room at track-out. Regardless, too much speed through 4a with a litre bike means you can't get on the gas hard through 4b to 5. I pass bikes there all the time. You can take a tight line (right up against the grass line... lol) through 5 if you get off the bike and go a bit wide at the apex, because the approach to 6a is an increasing radius. On a bike with a LOT of power, I am only breathing off the gas at tip-in for 5 and right back on it again until 6a. Get 4b right and you carry full throttle most of the way to 6a, just a bit of roll-off through the apex of 5. I often find myself catching riders going up to 6a like they are dragging an anchor, it definitely is a fast line.

For 6a/b. There is a smoother line in but you can't start wide.

I use this as often as not, but I find that I can carry more speed through 7 if I ignore the concrete patches (two of them), keep my momentum up and cruise through it off the curbing. I've observed a lot of fast riders and played with the line here and I do not brake for 7 at all, and can flat-stick 3rd by keeping a slightly tighter line so as not to have to cross the seam heading up to 8 until near the left hand curb approaching 8. It does *NOT* look like a textbook corner when I do this but it offers two advantages: full throttle without highsiding myself to the moon on a litre bike going over the seam, and usually I can pass a bike going into 8 by getting a high chute speed; then tucking in to block through the chainsaw.

Last edited:
Can we talk about eating cheeseburgers??

It's the only thing I'm good at.

frabz-face-deep-in-a-Baconator-212d8e.jpg

I'd like to be face deep in her baconator.

Turn in late and hold a steady line that hits the apex then shoots to the right side before 4b. Roll off a little, or drag the rear brake a little, to tighten the line into 4b. Pull in your knee so the turtle doesn't rip your leg off and you can stay inside the rough stuff... Then get on the gas hard and get to the right.

For 6a/b. There is a smoother line in but you can't start wide. Its about the middle of the track and you'll end up going through 6a still on the brakes not fully turned in yet. You can go pretty deep on the brakes there, its one of my fav places to pass. If you get it right your line will shoot you between the turtle and concrete in 6b. Try not to go past mid-track and get back to the left before throwing it over into 7. If you get it right the exit of 6b puts you right into the entry of 7.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Ok, so a question(not about cheeseburgers). What is the best strategy that I can follow to work my way up to a higher entry and extra from the end of Fabi. What startegy do I folllow to convince my brain I can carry longer down the stretch and more speed through the turn?

What is the best strategy that I can follow to work my way up to a higher entry and extra from the end of Fabi. What startegy do I folllow to convince my brain I can carry longer down the stretch and more speed through the turn?

That's where the guts come in. I almost lowsided there four years ago... fixed footpeg saved me, bounced me upright and then nearly highsided me. So I feel your pain, it's taken a while to get the mental block out of my head for that corner. My best advice is that even on a litre bike, you can get past the second braking marker before braking (but you'll want to have the lever ready) and then lap after lap, work on getting a little deeper until you're certain that you're at your best. FWIW you can go in a little slower and use throttle headed to the esses to try and make up time but a good entry into 11 (off the rear straight) should give you very little time to be on the gas for the esse. I've seen some stupid-fast lines through that corner, and am still wondering how they do it (Trombino being one that really wow'd me).

Maybe one more word of advice, if you find yourself in trouble, heading for the grass here may not be a good idea. A good friend of mine ended up trashing his 750 and having a paramedic cut a hole in his chest to refill his left lung after he ended up underneath the catchfence. At track speed, that fence will come up WAY faster than you thought possible, so approaching this corner with gradual speed increments is vital.

Are you talking about the turn at the end of the back straight (officially, corner 11)? I actually don't try to push my luck in that corner ... partly because I've seen too many bad things happen there, and also because there is very little time between the exit of that corner and the chicane anyways.

The thing with corner 11 is that because of the shape of the corner, there is a bit of room to gather it up if you miss the turn-in point or are too hot or too wide at the apex. So just work towards getting smoothly through the corner, and if you were too hot, just delay opening the throttle a bit, and fix what you did wrong on the next lap. It's not a very technical corner.

The chicane is another matter. And 6a/b, and 1, and the hole exiting 3, and 7, and 8 ...

For me it's a lot harder to find my balls going through turn 5 than it is through 11. Like Brian said, there isn't a lot of time to be gained by pushing the limit in turn 11. If you can carry good speed out of the hairpin you'll likely gain more time on the straight than any time you could gain by booking it through 11. The longer the corner, the larger the time gain per km/h gained. Look for long corners to improve your lap times.

The longer the corner, the larger the time gain per km/h gained. Look for long corners to improve your lap times.

Which is why I catch so many people from 4b -> 6a. I basically am on the gas with only a breathe-off through the apex of five, all the way through it almost as if it was one corner. It takes some getting used to, because it is at least as fast as corner one (faster, IMHO) if you are doing it right.

For me it's a lot harder to find my balls going through turn 5 than it is through 11. Like Brian said, there isn't a lot of time to be gained by pushing the limit in turn 11. If you can carry good speed out of the hairpin you'll likely gain more time on the straight than any time you could gain by booking it through 11. The longer the corner, the larger the time gain per km/h gained. Look for long corners to improve your lap times.

Yes I like 5. I find with my comfort with speed into 6A I can use the run from 4B to the entrance to 6A for most of my passing (either before or after 5).

I just have to teach my brain how to miss the rattler of a hole coming out of 5 when I am over to the right.

Thanks

Hope that helps

Yes definitely it is me going past mid track before 7 that screws up my whole Turn 7.

Thanks for the insight

Back
Top Bottom