What are your lap times? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are your lap times?

It's all a balance. If you are slowing down for a corner by shutting off the throttle before the halfway mark on the straightaway instead of using the brakes (and yes, I've seen and heard it done that way on track days!) then yes, staying on the throttle longer and using the brakes up to a certain level is going to help. But pushing the ultimate limit of braking, with the rear tire just skipping the ground (and the bike on the verge of getting way out of shape), unless your name is Nicky Hayden, is going to make most people slow down too much and/or blow the corner and go straight every third lap.
With my 09 and 10 gixxers. The slipper keeps everything under control. So the side to side sway can be used to back it in. As soon as I release a liitle brake to trail brake ( like going into 2 at bogie) everything straightens out.:)

There are "folks" that say shanny Hairpin speed is irrelevant, and will actually give up chasing hairpin speed to get the bike upright faster and get the throttle wide open.... (esp on a litre bike)

There are "folks" that say shanny Hairpin speed is irrelevant, and will actually give up chasing hairpin speed to get the bike upright faster and get the throttle wide open.... (esp on a litre bike)

Errrr.... I wouldn't say they're wrong, or that they are right, either. I've tried both, but honestly you are taking chances with a highside or uncontrolled wheelie trying to go the throttle route. I now try to take it fast if I don't have a passing opportunity, and get on the throttle hard with the rear brake on a bit... if there is one, I try to go to the inside, go as wide as the other rider will let me and use the rear brake and full throttle to try and get an early advantage on the straight - this works but it's hard on the chain and on a litre bike it's a show if you get it wrong.

Whatever works for you...

I have killed 5 helmets in that corner over the years. :)

Slow corners scare me, not sure why. Maybe feels like there's less chance for recovery if a slide starts? Love fast corners, though once I loved it too much :(

Not me... Pro SBK riders... Thats where I got the hot tip :)

I really think they're going through there faster than they think. ;) I know the mouse on the Nelson circuit is pretty much a throw-away. Go through as fast as you dare and try not to throw the bike at the scenery...

It makes a pretty big difference on my SV. If I take a late apex "superbike" line the lack of corner speed coupled with lack of HP hurts my speed on the straight, vs carrying more speed with a "traditional" line. Obviously I can also get on the gas earlier because of the lack of power. ;)

It makes a pretty big difference on my SV. If I take a late apex "superbike" line the lack of corner speed coupled with lack of HP hurts my speed on the straight, vs carrying more speed with a "traditional" line. Obviously I can also get on the gas earlier because of the lack of power. ;)

I see guys on SVs, RS 250s and other similarly less powerful bikes doing that a lot. Corey Sherman was doing it on his "new" 600 as well, after years of riding a SV650, and I see him taking a "superbike" line now as well.

I see guys on SVs, RS 250s and other similarly less powerful bikes doing that a lot. Corey Sherman was doing it on his "new" 600 as well, after years of riding a SV650, and I see him taking a "superbike" line now as well.

600, sure. Corey was following me on his SV and said I was leaving him on the straight. I outweigh him by at least 50lbs too. He's definitely faster than me on overall lap time, but he said he I was pulling him there.

To be fair to him, he crashed that SV like........ 10 times. :) I had a good laugh when the new owner did half a lap and threw it off the toilet bowl. :lmao:

Yeah I felt bad for him, but ... that thing *LOVES* the dirt.

Slow in the slow corners, and fast in the fast......or something like that

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom