Best Bang for Buck Scooter? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Bang for Buck Scooter?

If you are insuring first time - I'd get a 49cc something that is easily flipped the next year. Honda's are solid but I'd not get new.
Once you get a year under your belt then the rates will drop significantly.
Then consider anything from a 250 ninja
to one of these :D

20110426091608123_7bb2cc993d21461f9c1f800474e323011-orig.jpg

to a Burgman 400 which will give you urban plus light touring.

Those Honda Ruckuses (what is plural for ruckus?) are tough. We have one as a pit bike at the MX track and it gets passed around like... well like the village scooter, never any maintenance, and it only gets filled a few times a year.

Some fast MX guys had 2 of them out on the mx track launching off a 30' table top, neither of them broke.

How about a road legal YSR 80??

From what I read online, the ruckus and giorno only have a top speed of 50 km/hr. Ideally you want to be able to keep up with traffic.

I just checked on Kijiji and there's a NSR50 for sale too!!!!!!

Not a good idea for a daily driver. Maintenance on 2 strokes will give u lots of downtime unless you take extremely good care of it.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

forget Daymak there impossible to get parts for unless you order out of the country. Look for a Yamaha BW50 you can pick one up for $500-1000. If you break something you can have parts in 1-2 days. I picked up my current 03 for $500. My insurance is around $300 for the year. I've put over 5,000km might be around 12,000km total now and haven't had to do any maintenance other then change the diff oil. Top speed is 70km quite a bit faster then the ruckus/metro :)

Before you jump into this I would check with the bike insurers and see what your rates will be for a young noob. Might persuade you to ride a bicycle. lol Most of the people that give you advice about their rates may have been riding for years. Noobs pay big time and the rate probably will not go down significantly after a year and even taking a riding course. Good luck in your quest!

If you are insuring first time - I'd get a 49cc something that is easily flipped the next year. Honda's are solid but I'd not get new.
Once you get a year under your belt then the rates will drop significantly.
Then consider anything from a 250 ninja

A big +1 here. Its exactly the way I started.

Got a used Ruckus (plural is Ruckii) on Craigs for about $1400. Insurance was around $400 and it was great for downtown commuting. That bike was a little work-horse and never needed anything. Plus people love the way it looks. Rode it for 2 years and sold it for pretty much what I paid. I doubt you could do that with most 50's.

From there I traded it for a 150 Vespa which was a nice ride and the perfect amount of power for basic Toronto riding. Insurance barely went up.

Sold it after 2 years to get my current ride, a Honda 230 dualsport. Again, baby steps in power and insurance. That was last summer and this year I'm planning a few road trips. Love this bike.

Wish I still had the Ruckus. If I could afford to insure 2 bike I would have kept it, and would've ridden it all winter. Its that great. As superior as motorcycles are, I miss the easy "park anywhere" the scooters offer.

Last thing; whatever you do DO NOT BUY A CHEAP CHINESE SCOOTER. You'll get f'd. Do your research.

Get a CBR 125R

gets you around and you don't look like a dork, at least to non riders. Show a girl your 125 and you're in, the scooter not soo much.

I actually just upsized from my bw50. I am 23 new rider with m2 and paid 150 a year with dejardins. It is a blast to ride and as was mentioned before its great for downtown. You can make any sidewalk your parking spot. I still have it and was going to wait till spring to sell it but I will get some pics together and pm you with the details and see if we can work something out if you are interested.

my wife had a yamaha vino 125, would do 70km no problem and 80 if you waited a bit. very easy to start with self choke and ran on fumes. She was newly liceneced and paid $385. for insurance, no collision coverage. But we had multiple vehicles with the broker, dont know if that helped.

Just to keep beating the horse, please note that a brand new Ruckus has a manufacturer's discount right now

LEFT OVER 2012 Ruckus, MSRP was $3,070
$700 manufacturer's discount
NEW MSRP is $2,370

I am aware (still) that is beyond your budget, but it is brand new and it is Honda...
Cheap and reliable?
Cheap and new?
Cheap and fast?

WHat about a brand new, 2013 Honda Giorno with 49cc? full warranty and everything for $2300. Maybe the dealer will sell for less
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/scooter/giorno

The Giorno is cheaper than the brand new 2013 Honda Ruckus (that is also 49cc but is $3,000)

EDIT: I understand that a $2,000 scooter (+ tax) is more than the examples that you posted above, but if you can manage with 49cc, it may be more fun to buy a brand new Honda that rides, that to be fixing an old chinese, no-brand, scooter that was $500 + tax. Also, you can sell the Honda in a couple of years and get some of your money back. In a couple of years the $500 scooter may be rusting in the junk yard

And the 2012 Honda CBR125R is on sale too for $2,300.
What a deal... if you can afford the $2,300 + tax and the insurance, this is the ticket

How about a MadAss125?

I like the TW200 or I've been considering a WR250X.

Back
Top Bottom