New Ford Police Interceptors | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Ford Police Interceptors

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeero

Site Supporter
With the retiring of the reliable Crown Vics in late 2011, there had to be a replacement soon. Ford's answer is a specifically designed 6th generation Taurus which they are simply calling Ford Police Interceptor Sedan.

I saw one for the first time yesterday from my "beloved" Niagara Regional Police and I will admit it does look pretty intimidating. Ford says this packs a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 which produces an impressive 365hp going to its all-wheel-drive system.

They also have a specifically designed SUV replacement as well.

More info here: http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

Figured I'd share so that we can all get used to seeing how these cars look. We're pretty accustomed to the sight of Crown Vics, Chargers and the odd Impala. They will clearly come in unmarked versions as well.

That's just a Ford Taurus and Ford Explorer.....

The 2013 taurus comes with a twin turbo "ecoboost" 3.5L V-6 which makes 365HP.......and its AWD

here you go...

11hmstdbc02740-opt.jpg

2013-ford-taurus-sho-photo-397896-s-1280x782.jpg

Come on Ford, no more distinctive headlights/tail lights?

Come on Ford, no more distinctive headlights/tail lights?

hopefully they have oversized brakes / suspension package for that 3.5L twin turbo awd version.....its heavy ....hopefully all that drive train will take 200k of abuse.

Wonder what the running cost would be for this FORD TAURUS vs. Crown Vic.

Im sure city patrol won't be issued that V-6, prob will get the lower hp rated....version. Maybe the OPP would get the 365HP versions....

Last edited:
I know it's a Taurus, hence why I wrote "specifically designed 6th generation Taurus". They just don't want to call it the Taurus because the Police version has a lot of heavy-duty upgrades which makes it meet Police specifications.

Cost-wise I think the Taurus will be a little more because it's an all-new design instead of the ancient Crown Vic that used the same plant forever, which probably made production costs lower and lower over time.

The three available motors for the Taurus are:
3.5 L Cyclone V6 288hp
3.5 L EcoBoost V6 365hp
2.0 L EcoBoost I4 240hp

I can't really see them putting a 2.0 in a police car even if it's just small town city patrol. The price difference between the Cyclone and EcoBoost 3.5 can't be that much to sacrifice a ton of power. Reading through the specs on Ford's site, the EcoBoost provides almost all of its power through almost all of its rpm range, which is really handy for those "step on it!!" moments.

If they go turbo, hope the fleet manager track oil changes carefully and that officers are taught not to idle their cars for 2hrs at a time. Otherwise, could see some operating cost 'issues'.

I bet the non-turbo 3.5L is more than adequate. Crown Vics has 215hp. Really, how fast does a cop car have to be?

Here's an autoblog post: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/14/fords-taurus-based-police-interceptor-getting-more-power-to-cat/. Actually, the cop cars are getting a special 3.7L non-turbo V6 that'll have a hair over 300hp. Interesting.

If they go turbo, hope the fleet manager track oil changes carefully and that officers are taught not to idle their cars for 2hrs at a time. Otherwise, could see some operating cost 'issues'.

I bet the non-turbo 3.5L is more than adequate. Crown Vics has 215hp. Really, how fast does a cop car have to be?

Here's an autoblog post: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/14/fords-taurus-based-police-interceptor-getting-more-power-to-cat/. Actually, the cop cars are getting a special 3.7L non-turbo V6 that'll have a hair over 300hp. Interesting.

Why would they care? after all they're not paying for the maintenance.

Can this thing outrun a 600cc?

From stopped, I'm betting no. Also unless you've robbed a bank or killed someone I don't see them pursuing someone at over 240km/h through the city

Congrats on the new rides. If the police could use them to pull over one left-lane dog-fxcker who drives in the passing lane for every two speeders, we all just might be able to get along.

Last edited:

A Taurus with a base Mustang motor, nice combo. I see from that article that the EcoBoost is an option, which is probably the most logical setup. As you said, the lack of proper maintenance on their turbo'd cars will haunt them quickly.

Links or it did not happened
:p

I know for a fact that forensic techniques for data recovery (#3) have plenty of limitations... and a laptop can be sanitized (data deleted forever) with minimal cost...

As someone who believes people have a right to defend themselves in court with whatever tools they can, here are some things riders should look up on the internet about modern technology related to the new cars in north america. You may also want to reconsider speeding, but that's up to you.

1. If you can see a police car (line of sight) it has seen you. The car has a computer and 360-degree cameras that simultaneously track the speed of every vehicle around them and alert the police to speeders. If you are behind them, or in their line of sight, they are tracking your speed.

2. Most new-type cars in north america are equipped with automatic licence plate readers that provide your license ID and law enforcement info at the touch of a button. If their cameras see your plate, it has already been logged for look-up later. If you have a warrant, suspension, or criminal conviction, assume they know by the time they've pulled you over.

3. No electronic data is ever "deleted." If it is evidence in a case, it can be recovered using forensic techniques. That goes for your GPS, smartphones, ipads, cameras, laptops, but also for police dash cams in case you get a beat down.

4. Before you make a video of yourself speeding through traffic, know that your camera probably records GPS and date/time data and embeds it in the video file.

4. Most entry level helicopters have a top speed of about 140mph but they can't do it for very long because they run out of fuel quickly. The rumor that a fleeing motorcyclist can escape a helicopter by going into airport airspace only saves the pilots fuel. The further you get from an airport, the more likely a helicopter will give up. Just remember that you can't outrun radio or license plate recognition. If this is a part of your plan, you may also want to plan how to survive in jail.

5. The ECU of your car and modern bike is a "black box" that records whether you accelerated, braked, or swerved before an accident. Remember this before you deny anything, lie, or make statements without council present. Always assume you were on hidden camera. The better bet is to be courteous, say nothing and hope you have a good lawyer.

Anyway, congrats on the new rides. If the police could use them to pull over one left-lane dog-fxcker who drives in the passing lane for every two speeders, we all just might be able to get along.

It doesn't really matter how fast the cop car CAN go, they probably wont be chasing you over 200km/h anyways city or highway.

They just need to accelerate fast enough to get your plate :p

Links or it did not happened
:p
I know for a fact that forensic techniques for data recovery (#3) have plenty of limitations... and a laptop can be sanitized (data deleted forever) with minimal cost...

There are some limitations, but none that aren't evidence tampering. Google "Eric Rachner" for the story of how he subpoenaed the dash cam devices from cars and pulled "deleted" video from them. Limits, sure, but none I could recommend anyone betting their future on.

Great, now gotta find a way to distinguish these between other normal cars lol

Yep, the new led light bars made it harder too.

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

That's why I posted this. Over the winter if you see a regular Taurus behind you, try to get used to the look and shape of its headlights so you can recognize them as easily as Crown Vics. Same with tail lights.

Why would they care? after all they're not paying for the maintenance.

They might not. I do, it's my damn taxes.

If cities are smart, they'd have someone who tracks the total costs of ownership and maintenance before buying a year's lot of police cars.

The police motor is the non-turbo model so it's a moot point anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom