Thinking about a motorcycle lift. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about a motorcycle lift.

Thanks for all of the input. I fell off my wallet and went for the Direct Lift Bike Pro DT. It's a tank!

IMG_0653_zpsc5711b3f.jpg

PA has theirs on sale again... https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/800-lb-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8668071e

It says it's rated for 800lbs... I wonder if that's just what the bottle jack is rated for and one could increase the weight by installing a heavier duty bottle jack or... Is it the frame overall that is rated for that 800lbs...?

My FJR supposedly weighs about 640lbs... I'd like to have a little more than 160lbs to play with... Lol. (no fat chick jokes please)

The load rating is probably engineered for the sum of all parts. They may be a safety margin in there but I would not want to be the guy to test it.

That looks essentially like the PA lift I bought a few back (all the Chinese lifts look alike it seems). This one has a better looking front wheel chock and foot pedals. The structure seems good enough for up and down capacity (barring blown out hydraulics) but other wise it's not very confidence inspiring side to side. I put out riggers on mine in the interest of lack of interest of it falling over. Having said that these lifts have been around forever it seems even showing on the cover of my olde Haynes BMW manual. Doing it again I'd probably buy something better tho.

@ coyo - seems like a great option. How low does it fold down when it's not being used? Basically....can it sit in the middle of the garage and a car drive over it with no issues. Simply for space savings sake.

Well, I was all set to go down to PA and pick up their 800lb lift for $374, but looking closely at the specs I noticed the table is only 74.75 inches long. The wheelbase of my bike is just over 61 inches... Not a lot of room to play with. The way I measured it, factoring in the front wheel chock my rear tire would sit painfully close to the back edge of the table.
So... I just surfed over to Harbor Freight's WWW... Their 1000lb lift with a 86.5 inch table was on SALE for $279 USD (Regular price is $1049.00) http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892.html
'Called the Niagara Falls NY location to confirm stock. 'Got into the truck and drove the hour or so to HF to pick one up.
All in it was $302USD which factoring in exchange comes $416Cdn. $7.00 less than what the 800lb PA lift would have cost me.
Yeah... I took 3hrs out of my day and some gas, but... Worth it I think

Got lucky at the border coming home... CBSA dude didn't send me in to pay taxes.

Last edited:
I'd have paid you to collect one for me while you were there

Well... I'll likely be heading down that way again soon.
If they're still on sale and you want one... Lemme know.
I work in Milton so... 'Shouldn't be to much hassle.

@ coyo - seems like a great option. How low does it fold down when it's not being used? Basically....can it sit in the middle of the garage and a car drive over it with no issues. Simply for space savings sake.

The deck sits 7" above the garage floor. I wheel my trailer over it all the time without issue.

Well... There it be.
'Looking forward to doing my next oil change.

of course pay the 11% tax...still a better product than what you can get here for the money.

It's just too bad the Canadian dollar is so low...
That said... Factoring the exchange rate my HF lift came out $7 cheaper than what I would have paid for the PA unit.

It's just too bad the Canadian dollar is so low...
That said... Factoring the exchange rate my HF lift came out $7 cheaper than what I would have paid for the PA unit.

didn't you also state that yours is much better
longer and supports more weight???

still a better product than what you can get here for the money.
FYI - Princess Auto used to sell the exact same model as what Hack picked up (1000lbs rating and about 7 feet long) for $399 - I picked one up around November of last year and I'm very happy with it.
After taxes it was about $460CAN. Not sure if they will sell those models again though, because a rep there told me they were a discontinued item and I do not see them on the website any longer. Maybe they will come back - maybe not. Those look better than the 800lbs model and the extra length is very handy.

Back
Top Bottom