Thinking about a motorcycle lift. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking about a motorcycle lift.

coyo

Site Supporter
With the upcoming sale of my blue plated, SM'd WR450 and my son's XR50R (he's lost interest... no, that's just some sand in my eye!) I'm thinking of taking some of the cash and treating myself to a motorcycle lift (always wanted one).

I started looking at the Princess Auto one;
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8133860/Motorcycle/1,000-lb-Air/Hydraulic-Motorcycle-Lift

however for $100 more (the prices aren't accurate on the site) there's the Direct Lift Pro Cycle that gets rave reviews (where the PA one is a bit flimsy in comparison);
http://www.directlift.ca/pro-cycle.htm

That said, I may opt for the "drop tail" model for $25 more which gives a bit more flexibility for friend's machines;
http://www.directlift.ca/pro-cycle-dt.htm

My questions are to those that have them or know about them; what should I be looking at, what other lifts are recommended, is there anything I need to consider, etc...?

I've thought about the MotoMfg stand with wheels for $450 (http://www.motomfg.com/MotoMfg_paddock_stand_for_KTM_p/ps-2.htm) which would be great for its ability to move while in the air, but it would only work for my bike, not friend's, not lawnmowers, etc...

Last edited:
I have the princess auto lift. It's ok, nothing special. For the price I would buy again. It does what it's supposed too and appears strong enough. Like a lot of heavy tools from P.A. or HarborFreight, it could stand some mods. I widened the stance using 2x2x1/4 angle iron and installed caster wheels so it can be shoved aside. I'm in Hamilton if you want to see it.

I have a PA snowmobile lift. It's sturdy enough that I trusted it to work under a 550lb machine pulling suspension and track out of it. It's sturdier than the Royal Distributing one that costs more. It will likely do the job just fine, but the other one may be more flexible use wise.

FYI, I would love to buy your SM WR if I had the cash or felt like I could part with my sled lol

I have the princess auto lift. It's ok, nothing special. For the price I would buy again. It does what it's supposed too and appears strong enough. Like a lot of heavy tools from P.A. or HarborFreight, it could stand some mods. I widened the stance using 2x2x1/4 angle iron and installed caster wheels so it can be shoved aside. I'm in Hamilton if you want to see it.

Thanks for the info and I may take you up on the viewing. I'm in town today... Hehe

I have a PA snowmobile lift. It's sturdy enough that I trusted it to work under a 550lb machine pulling suspension and track out of it. It's sturdier than the Royal Distributing one that costs more. It will likely do the job just fine, but the other one may be more flexible use wise.

FYI, I would love to buy your SM WR if I had the cash or felt like I could part with my sled lol

Stay tuned! They'll be going up shortly; as soon as I figure out pricing and if I want to sell the SM kit separately or with the bike.

Got the same PA lift , had for 5+ years, no probs, my gsxr project has been on it (rised position) for 1 year lol.
Lifts my HD no prob. Vice sucks!

Gerry

Forgot to add, dont pay msrp on the PA, they come on sale 1-2 times a year ( been awhile prob in next month or so) minimum of $100 off.

Gerry

I have the drop tail direct lift and it is great. I purchased it from the dealer in New York http://www.loomisrootdirect.com/ their price for the drop tail unit is $675 so if you have the time and something to transport it all you have to pay is the HST at the border.

Lifts with compressor air and is a really heavy duty professional lift compared to the PA lift. It is also manouverable as it is on wheels. I would reccomend getting the accessory handle for moving it though. The part for the handle is AL-5510

Last edited:
I've been using the princess auto one for over a year now and it works great. It's a little tippy if you were to try and climb up on the bike with it raised up but using it as its intended too be used it works awesome.

I have the drop tail direct lift and it is great. I purchased it from the dealer in New York http://www.loomisrootdirect.com/ their price for the drop tail unit is $675 so if you have the time and something to transport it all you have to pay is the HST at the border.

Lifts with compressor air and is a really heavy duty professional lift compared to the PA lift. It is also manouverable as it is on wheels. I would reccomend getting the accessory handle for moving it though. The part for the handle is AL-5510

Would a floor jack work to move it around?

Yes actually that is what I use a motorcycle floor jack but I think I will get the proper tool for the job soon.

I don't know about the bike lifts but after shopping around last fall I did purchase a 4 post car lift from DirectLift and was very happy with the product and the service.
They are at the next bike show in March..maybe you can get a deal?

I don't know about the bike lifts but after shopping around last fall I did purchase a 4 post car lift from DirectLift and was very happy with the product and the service.
They are at the next bike show in March..maybe you can get a deal?

A fantastic idea... but my "2 car garage" is really a large 1 car garage and with 8 foot ceilings (reduced to 6.5-7' with the openers), I've got no room for that.

BimmerMike is only commenting on DirectLift quality and service, not suggesting car lift for you;)....... I'll show myself out......

BimmerMike is only commenting on DirectLift quality and service, not suggesting car lift for you;)....... I'll show myself out......

DAMMIT! I had just come up from a workout, wasn't thinking right... and of course you're right.

In response to the shows; I saw the banners on their page and asked about the shows but their prices will remain the same, so I'm told.

Yes thanks BNKN...I didn't think that the op needed a 8,000 lb lift that can put a car 7ft off the ground...plus for the price he could buy 4 bike lifts...then again I don't need an air compressor...just 110 for the hydraulics.:rolleyes:
Will have to put the bike on it next spring just for the foto op!

Bought mine at harbour freight for 300 bucks.. i love it , had it for two years now..wait for the super coupon for almost half off

015-3_zps95f484db.jpg

029_zps74ba6c3f.jpg

Bought mine at harbour freight for 300 bucks.. i love it , had it for two years now..wait for the super coupon for almost half off

How easy is it to lift the bike up with that version?

Sent from my SH-02E using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom