125cc or 250cc race options ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

125cc or 250cc race options ?

Kawyman

What groups/classes/races can I race in if I owned a 125 or 250cc race ready bike. ? I know there's track days, but I'm more interested in actual races with SOAR/RACE or ?? Any others that may offer a small cc race class. I've looked at a few websites but I'm still unclear on the actual class/group I can race in. Any info would be great thanks.

Are you talking about a 125/250 GP bike, or a 125/250 4-stroke bike? There's a rather enormous difference ...

SOAR's small-displacement 4-stroke class is called NuSpeed. RACE has a 250 Production class.

If it's a GP bike, SOAR has a Formula 2 Stroke class, and RACE has 125 and 250 GP classes.

I mean a CBR 125/250 or a Kawi 250. Does the Nuspeed class have a age limit ? Cause I thought I read its for 17yrs and younger ? Or maybe I'm wrong.

If you don't already own a race bike, consider doing the Racer5 school program and renting their bikes for Soar race rounds. At least then you could participate in the Racer5 cup within Soar and have a decent grid to race against.

Racer5.ca

Copied and pasted from the Soar 2012 rulebook:

l. NuSpeed:
This is a class designed for the newest of the new riders to get their feet wet and compete with riders just like themselves. The class will be restricted to a max 250cc four stroke motorcycle .Age of rider will be looked at on a case by case basis. The vision of this class will be maintained as a beginning place for racers to be to start their racing careers in a low-pressure manner.All riders will have all requirements with regards to obtaining a novice license. All machines are subject to regular SOAR regulations.We are always looking for suggestions and input to assist in evolving this class. So please feel free to pass along your feedback. This may alter the perimeters until we find the balance that best serves the purpose of the class. There will be a “Breakout” time TBD that will apply to the class. Should a rider consistently be over that limit he/she will be displaced to regular SOAR classes.This will be a trophy dash only and no accumulated points will be awarded.

There have been plenty of riders well beyond 17 yrs old in that class. I think the intent is more towards avoiding having experienced racers cherrypick the class.

edit: Another choice is to go just a smidge bigger in displacement and then you can have a bike that will be decent and legal for years. 400cc fours (Yamaha FZR400) and 500cc twins (Kaw EX500) are eligible for RACE Lightweight Sportsman, and SOAR Vintage as long as they are at least 20 years old (but in the case of the EX500, it's pretty likely that no one will care if you bring a newer one ... they're not appreciably different). If it is model year 1989 or before (or a later model that is identical to 1989, example EX500 through 1993) then it is also eligible for VRRA Period 4 Formula 3.

You *could* run a Ninja 250 or CBR250 in Lightweight Sportsman (and the vintage classes, in the case of the Ninja 250 as long as it is old enough), it's just that the FZR's and EX's and occasional RZ's will outgun you on straights.

I'll be running SOAR Vintage and some VRRA rounds this coming year on my FZR400 as usual. I've given up on RACE.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom