Dual Headlight Mod '07 CBR600RR (should work for other bikes too) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Headlight Mod '07 CBR600RR (should work for other bikes too)

AF4iK

Site Supporter
This is by no means a new topic but, after google site searching, I didn't see a suitable thread to post this in and I thought it might be helpful so I'm posting this up as a "pre-how-to" specific to the 600RR. I say "pre" because I haven't done it yet. I'll validate this thread after I've actually wired it up. So... without further ado...

Dual Headlight mod for 2007 Honda CBR600RR (should work for other bikes too :))

First things first, credit where credit is due: I didn't come up with this method entirely but, rather, modified someone else's mod. Credit for that goes to kphybrid of 600rr.net. See his original thread here. The reason I modified his method is because I had concerns about overheating/melting the wires. kphybrid's method basically runs both left and right hi/low beams on the same circuit effectively doubling the current (more or less) running through the loom and coming close to tripping the fuse.

Now, I'm not going to get super descriptive about how to physically hook everything up because I haven't completed this mod yet. Instead, I'm going to focus on the wiring plan and materials needed. Once I actually finish this mod I might post additional details but most of that is already covered in kphybrid's thread.

Goal:
With bike on and hi-beam switch OFF, both left and right headlights are lit in low-beam mode. When hi-beam switch is turned ON the hi-beam is activated in one headlight only (similar to stock setup).

Materials:
- 1 SPDT (single pole double throw) Relay rated @ 12V and 30A
- 1 H4 Bulb (dual filament, one for hi and one for low beam)
- 1 H4 socket (Accepts 3 prongs)
- 1 piece of 18 to 14 gauge wire (get a few feet's worth in case you make a mistake)
- Electrical tape, heat shrink tubing and solder are good things to have handy but might not be necessary depending on how you connect your wire

Plan:
1. Replace stock hi-beam (H7) bulb and socket with a dual filament (H4) bulb and socket. The H4 bulb is much larger than the H7 but will fit in the lens housing with some trimming to the base of the light bulb (see kphybrid's thread for details). When replacing the socket, wire the existing 12V power wire to the hi-beam prong of the bulb and leave the low-beam prong alone for now.

2. Replace stock hi-beam relay (a SPST or Single Pole Single Throw) with a SPDT (5 pin) relay. The stock relay has 2 states: OFF by default and ON when the hi-beam switch is flipped on. Swapping the relay with a 5-pin SPDT allows the default state of the relay to power a different circuit (in this case the low beam filament) instead of simply being off. Make sure that the wire going to the hi-beam filament is connected to the ON-state of the relay (usually pin 87A).

3. Hook up the low beam filament: Connect a wire from the OFF or default-state of the relay (usually pin 87) to the low beam prong on the H4 socket.

That's it! Each headlight retains it's own isolated circuit so no extra current is running through the wires and the risk of overheating is eliminated. Plus no more people telling you you've got a burnt out light :cool:

Below is the stock wiring diagram that I've highlighted for convenience and drew in an extra wire representing the low-beam on the H4 bulb.
Note: Colours do not correspond to actual wire colours.

Red: 12V power for stock hi-beam*
Light Blue: 12V power for low-beam*
Dark Blue: Wire running from hi-beam switch to hi-beam relay (and indicator light on the gauge)
Green: Ground
Orange: My addition to the schematic. Represents new wire from relay to H4 bulb.

Last edited:
The Bad news is the headlights will not look like an equal brightness as the right headlight will still have the highbeam reflector in it. You will technically be driving around with your high beams on all the time and then when you hit your high beams your left will be a high beam and right will be an extreme high beam. So to do this properly I would assume you would need to either 1. aim the right reflector down 2. replace the right headlight reflector with the left one (Not sure if possible mounting wise though) 'The reason is H7's are typically low beams unless they are placed in a high beam housing (Your right headlight).So regardless what light you put in there (H7 or H4) it will still be a high beam. Sorry for the run on sentence, It won't let me edit the format.....

Last edited:
I did this well similar to my 07 RR. It sucked nothing but people flashing me all the time. I even aimed the headlight multiple times. I would highly recommend not doing this.

The only headlight mod I would do to my 600RR is the dual HID projectors that replaces the stock bulb and reflector but I'm too lazy to actually do it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to go with projectors but decided I didn't want to bother, mostly due to the sharp cutoff which I hear isn't great for cornering at night on dark roads.

This wiring method leaves the stock low beam as-is so it will always be a low beam only. I had some concerns about the hi beam reflector but, from what I understand, H4 bulbs have a built in shield above the low beam filament which may or may not help keep light out of motorists' faces. Will have to play with bulb orientation to see how this works out. I'm hoping to make this mod as plug n play as possible so I can return to stock without cutting wires.

[edit] I might also try adding one of these glare shields to the bulb if glare becomes an issue: http://www.hidorigin.com/h4-to-d2s-d2r-adaptors-with-glare-shield-gen-3.html [/edit]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom