Ontario should make winter tires mandatory. | Page 62 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

My wife needed tires for her Venza. We got her some Nokian WR-SUVs. Great tires in the snow and good for year round use.
Those are the all weather tires, right? Had those on my minivan. They were good.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

That's correct. All-weather, not all-season.
Yeah, only disadvantage was that they are rated to last iirc only 90k. But no switching back and forth, no storage, and iirc they qualify for the insurance deduction.

Yeah, only disadvantage was that they are rated to last iirc only 90k. But no switching back and forth, no storage, and iirc they qualify for the insurance deduction.

90k is many, many years for my wife. She drives about 15k per year.

90k is many, many years for my wife. She drives about 15k per year.
My wife is a little less: 2010 Escape, 45k. But those Goodyears they came with suck. Will be putting the Nokians on this month.

Hello new law on insurers regarding winter tires in place...

anyone cashed in on that? (probably like what, max 5%? lol)
http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/curves-ah...s-and-elsewhere-in-ontario-for-2016-1.2709929

Thanks, I'm going to call my agent tomorrow. (btw, vaping is going to be illegal now in public places? Jeezus christ... will people never shut up about smoking?)

I've got winter-rated all-terrain tires on the truck. Goodyear Duratrac. I'm using them year round and they handle well in the winter but I still would prefer to buy a set of dedicated snow tires.

TD Insurance in Ontario is giving discounts to those who use winter tires.... Usually they dont give you anything off unless it saves them lots of money.

BB

I am getting 5% off. Allstate

TD Insurance in Ontario is giving discounts to those who use winter tires.... Usually they dont give you anything off unless it saves them lots of money.

BB

RBC as well, 5% but not until policy renewal so for me it will have to wait until May.

BB

Fun fact. Peed off at TD for raising prices so drove to other insurance place this morning for live real time quote. Saving over $600 from TD on the truckette and saving $120 on tiddler bomber m/c. No mention of winter tires.

BB
Doesn't everyone have to now?

I'm looking at the all weather tires right now. I know it's not going to snow once I get them because that's how crap seems to work for me.

I'd feel safer if everyone just drove according to the conditions rather then just changing their tires.

Getting a proper winter tire would probably seem more important to me if I left the city.

I'm getting Nokian WRG3 all weather tires installed on Monday. I'll give my opinion if it actually snows before spring but the idea of am all weather tire is very appealing to me. It's marked with the snow peak like a winter tire but I don't expect a pure winter tire performance. Seeing how I've always got by with all seasons I'm not weary of them.....yet. says they are good for 80,000 km. We'll see.

I'm getting Nokian WRG3 all weather tires installed on Monday. I'll give my opinion if it actually snows before spring but the idea of am all weather tire is very appealing to me. It's marked with the snow peak like a winter tire but I don't expect a pure winter tire performance. Seeing how I've always got by with all seasons I'm not weary of them.....yet. says they are good for 80,000 km. We'll see.
I got them installed on my wife's Escape a few weeks (a month?) ago. No real snow that she has driven in, but noticed a huge difference in wet conditions over the stock GoodYears with inly 45k on them.
Was very happy with them on my minivan.
They also have a lower priced brand with the almost exact tread pattern iirc. Where are you getting them?

I got them installed on my wife's Escape a few weeks (a month?) ago. No real snow that she has driven in, but noticed a huge difference in wet conditions over the stock GoodYears with inly 45k on them.
Was very happy with them on my minivan.
They also have a lower priced brand with the almost exact tread pattern iirc. Where are you getting them?

Kal Tire is the only suppliers of the Nokian all weather tire. I have my appointment booked for Monday at the Stanfield rd location. The quote was a little under $800 for my Focus wagon. They also are going to come with a $70 mail in rebate

Kal Tire is the only suppliers of the Nokian all weather tire. I have my appointment booked for Monday at the Stanfield rd location. The quote was a little under $800 for my Focus wagon. They also are going to come with a $70 mail in rebate
I've been getting mine from AutoTrax. The minivan was over 3 years ago. Gonna look into that mail in rebate.

I've been getting mine from AutoTrax. The minivan was over 3 years ago. Gonna look into that mail in rebate.

I couldn't find anyone else with them. I was told only Kal had them. Beside that apparently Canadian Tire sells an all weather tire as well. I didn't look into it though.

I couldn't find anyone else with them. I was told only Kal had them. Beside that apparently Canadian Tire sells an all weather tire as well. I didn't look into it though.
The rating on the Can Tire was pretty high. Tread looks okay. But iirc the price was higher or equal to the Nokian. Disclaimer : AutoTrax is owned by a friend of mine. But everytime someone tells me about the great deal they got from their "tire guy" it's always them! Lol.
I personally figured the lower km rating was worth it by saving the bi annual switching of tires.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom