Ontario should make winter tires mandatory. | Page 55 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

I didn't think it was that hard to understand... I guess I underestimated some people here.

For some reason I couldn't picture driving over on shagged snows and getting them swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't think it was that hard to understand... I guess I underestimated some people here.

Of course you can drive over on worn out tires and get new ones and drive back on them on the DL, but FYI this is a thread about winter tires so generally people would be driving back with their summer tires in the trunk.

Summer tires on summer rims. Winter tires on winter rims. I didn't read whole thread so probably missing something more obvious but I would drive across border sporting my wow's(worn out winter's). I'm open to other pov's tho.

Of course you can drive over on worn out tires and get new ones and drive back on them on the DL, but FYI this is a thread about winter tires so generally people would be driving back with their summer tires in the trunk.
This only applies to people requiring new winter tires with rim

If Ontario drivers had sense then the government wouldn't have to get involved. Not that the Liberals are going to mandate winter tires.

Have been using winter tires for the past 15 years; I used to use all season tires because I didn't believe that there was a difference. A cheap winter tire grips better on ice then the most expensive all season tire.

Winter tires are there to help you deal with surprises like coming to a stop intersection that is snow covered and sliding a little with your winter tires. You then realise that it was ice covered by snow. No way you could have stopped with all season tires.

I live north of Toronto and I have friends that live in Windsor. I can visit them in the winter which I do, without worries because I use winter tires. Without fail either on the way to Windsor or coming back I have to deal with black ice and freezing rain. I simply plod along at 75-80 km/hr while people using all season tires are driving at 40 km/h; the ones that try to drive faster end up in the ditch or against the guardrail.

I you live by yourself then it doesn't matter how you drive, but when you have to deal with these unpredictable and unskilled drivers, that extra grip helps you to stay out of trouble.

So what you're saying is more traction is better than less traction? Interesting.

Jeez who would've thunk, huh?

This thread is only 55 pages so it's very rewarding to already see hard science backed by anecdotal evidence. Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

This thread is only 55 pages so it's very rewarding to already see hard science backed by anecdotal evidence. Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.
So you'd make less traction mandatory in some situations.

There are some real ****boxes on the road regardless of Future Mayor Cam Wooley's efforts. Putting a thousand dollars worth of rubber on a car won't guarantee a reduction in stopping distance or snow/wet steering performance. It won't do much good if said ****box has got a seized caliper or two or weak steering pump/ rack. I wouldn't be too quick to question the likely hood of that situation, my 'fleet maintained' service van (2012 Savannah, 100k Km, 7500 Lbs wet) has both these issues. Hell, I just took my uncle's 02 Rav4 off the road, the trans cross-member is rotten and so are the strut towers. It's a shame, it's got less than 120K on it, can't spot a dot of rust without crawling under it.

Driving conditions will sort out who's vehicle is snow worthy and who's isn't. Concentration, talent and a healthy dab of luck will determine who keeps themselves out of trouble. Or we could adopt an annual safety inspection and include the e-test with it.

It' d get the wrecks off the road and increase the cost of vehicle ownership, it'd still be cheaper than forcing snow tires and rims on the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter tires allow you to deal with surprises. I don't want my life to be depending on luck. Some driver loses control, crosses the center of the road heading for you? Wouldn't you want tires that grip at that time.

Last march an incident that wasn't as dangerous as above example: I was stopped at a red traffic light waiting for traffic to clear. The road was covered in ice. Guy comes up behind me, as I watch. He does what most drivers like to do, brake late. I see that he is sliding; I move ahead (quickly) preventing a rear collision. If my car did not have winter tires I would have been there spinning my wheels being hit. Skill could not have helped me there (except for being aware which is a skill), technology helped.

He does what most drivers like to do, brake late. I see that he is sliding; I move ahead (quickly) preventing a rear collision.

That's ok, your covered because there's a law against late braking. It's called following to close. I know what you're going to say and you'd be right.

No the point being made is directed at the individuals that say that winter tires shouldn't be mandatory as things will sort themselves out. Only reason that I wasn't hit (and from the speed that the guy was travelling) and injured is because my vehicle had winter tires.

Our roads are full of fools; the reality is that as often as they drive off of the road they drive into others and when that happens we have the real problem injuries to the innocent.

We gonna need dedicated rain tires too? 6 accidents along 401 from Cambridge to Ajax due to rain. Unfrigginbelivable. Best was one right before Milton where a civic *** packed a focus. The focus was flat like a pancake from rear doors back. No more trunk.

Spun out idiot in Mississauga, etc etc. oh joy those same idiots will share the road when the white stuff starts coming down.

It's all about driving for the road conditions, but a lot of Ontario's finest turn their vehicles into funeral coaches when they drive with no tire tread and air pressure.

We gonna need dedicated rain tires too? 6 accidents along 401 from Cambridge to Ajax due to rain. Unfrigginbelivable. Best was one right before Milton where a civic *** packed a focus. The focus was flat like a pancake from rear doors back. No more trunk.

Spun out idiot in Mississauga, etc etc. oh joy those same idiots will share the road when the white stuff starts coming down.

For the past 2 days my commute has been half hr longer because. Of the rain. I dread the winter now.

I hope I get night shift

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Imagine if the roads weren't so flat and straight...it would be even worse! (I don't think that's possible at this point.)

For the past 2 days my commute has been half hr longer because. Of the rain. I dread the winter now.

I hope I get night shift

Leave earlier? or somehow get closer to your job (either by moving or finding a closer office/yard/site/wherever it is you work).

Leave earlier? or somehow get closer to your job (either by moving or finding a closer office/yard/site/wherever it is you work).

I already work early. I start at 7am. I'm a night person, the house has to be burning for me to wake up earlier.

Plus I'm being trained on a 5-axis mill, something which is normally reserved for someone with 3 yrs experience in that field. I wouldn't be going anywhere until I get that experience

Back
Top Bottom