Ontario should make winter tires mandatory. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario should make winter tires mandatory.

Why on earth do people think 4x4 is automatically god mode on snow and ice? I have to be just as cautious and attentive with an AWD car than with a FWD car..

My summer tires were about $750 for 4, my winters were priced similar if not higher. My car is AWD. Does that mean I can just be plowing down the road doing 100? No. But good luck telling that to the chumps in pickups I see rolled into the ditch on the highway.

Last edited:
I think one reason more people don't put winters on is because it costs quite a bit to have all the tires mounted and balanced.
The smart thing to do is buy a dedicated set of winters on rims, that way you can swap them out your self for free, and it only takes a few mins.
I waited until the day the snow fell, went outside and slapped them on.

Quebec cops won't have ar snow tire blitz, but they will check if you do get pulled over.
More importantly, if you get into an accident because you lost traction, and you don't have winters on, you're screwed ! :D

Why on earth do people think 4x4 is automatically god mode on snow and ice? I have to be just as cautious and attentive with an AWD car than with a FWD car..

My summer tires were about $750 for 4, my winters were priced similar if not higher. My car is AWD. Does that mean I can just be plowing down the road doing 100? No. But good luck telling that to the chumps in pickups I see rolled into the ditch on the highway.

You can do 100 on the highway with a foot of snow on the ground no problem given you have a nice set of winter tires and a competent driver behind the wheel. Ive done it many times in the winter late at night coming back from my gfs house. The problem is the other ****** bags on the road doing 15km/h, tailgating one another and slamming on the brakes because all of the sudden its slippery.

A co-worker of mine purchased a used, one season, set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak's on steel rims for $200 off kijiji . The seller threw in a free roof rack for him . Tons of similar deals out there as opposed to dropping up to a grand if new is not an option.

A co-worker of mine purchased a used, one season, set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzak's on steel rims for $200 off kijiji . The seller threw in a free roof rack for him . Tons of similar deals out there as opposed to dropping up to a grand if new is not an option.

Problem with buying tires off kijii is the fact that people are delusion and or straigh up liars. 90% tread remaining they claim, meanwhile you measure it and its barely 40%, of which about 20% is actually useable! wow, what a deal!

People dont understand tire technology, or figure it doesnt apply. Winter tires are made from a different softer compound than summer tires. They work when the temp is below 5deg, dont turn into hard blocks. You accelerate easier, turn with less slide and brake many feet sooner.

I watched many poor people last nite that could afford to be out in 50k cars but couldn't fork out 1k for snows. That trip into the cornfield is gonna cost way more than tires would. The tool in the porche boxster on bronte rd with 12" wide low profile tires? you deserved to be parked in the infield, buffoon.

You can do 100 on the highway with a foot of snow on the ground no problem given you have a nice set of winter tires and a competent driver behind the wheel. Ive done it many times in the winter late at night coming back from my gfs house. The problem is the other ****** bags on the road doing 15km/h, tailgating one another and slamming on the brakes because all of the sudden its slippery.

Sorry I should've clarified, the highways up here are no better than secondary highways in the GTA. limits are from 60-80 and 90 in divided sections. 100 in bad weather or with snow on the ground is legitimately a bad idea.

In the city I can go 100-110 on the 400 series easy, but so could anyone else with a decent set of tires. AWD is hardly relevant.

I'm also talking about the chumps in lets say a RAM 2500 or F-250SD that are trying to pass me while I'm going 60-65 in a 50 in a snowstorm, then wonder why they binned it cause "It's a truck and 4x4"

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that people have to be told that they have to put winter tires on their cars. Common sense died a horrible death a long time ago.

How do you figure they have to be told? You just decided this, maybe because you have common sense and others don't? And how did you come to the conclusion that common sense died anyways?

Nobody used snow tires "a long time ago" when according to you common sense was prevalent. You acknowledge we don't get much snow on our roads but whine about cold roads and tire compounds. Is that the common sense part? Because all season tires are actually designed for sub-zero temperatures, don'tcha know? Sure, winter tires are better suited to cold temperatures, but they are also much worse for warm temperatures. There are tons of people who run winter tires all year, I know of a handful from work myself. Are you gonna propose then that we force everyone off their winter tires at a particular date? In that case, they should be forced to run performance tires since all-seasons are a compromise in the summer too, right?

I used to run high performance tires in the summer, and then I'd switch to all season in the winter. Didn't stop me from running circles around other drivers on snow + ice even in my RWD car. Now I run all seasons... wait for it... all seasons! I use my car for errands when I need to, I don't rely on it every day. Is it common sense for me to put winter tires on for the 1-2000 km I do in the winter even though I've avoided all wet/snowy conditions the past two winters?

What you call common sense is just arrogance. You think you know it all, it's so obvious to you, and poor old you, you have this tough burden of thinking that everyone needs it spelled out for them. I certainly don't, thank you.

As for everyone else, there is no clear benefit to forcing people to run winter tires as I explained above. But there certainly are clear drawbacks in increased costs of living and bureaucracy. Yet your common sense is to force it on people anyways. What irony.

Last edited:
fastar - Next time give the Hanook Optimo 4S a look, it is an "all weather" tire, not all season. As I said I just put them on the daily car (I have blizacks on my 4runner) and I have been happy with them since sept, and in the latest snow, they did much better then I expected (as the key here is that they are new)... New All seasons are better then worn out then old ****** winters anyway, but I m sure our "common sense" may not grasp that point.

Last edited:
I'm sure the tire companies are lobbying the government to make snows mandatory. It improves their profits. However we talk as if everyone has the extra money to spend. Some people would have to give up other necessities to pay for the tires. Nanny statism forced purchases reduce true discretionary income, the backbone of the free market.

So the car has snows but the kids don't have winter clothes. Brilliant!

Only someone with a vasted interest could come up with this.

I'd bet a sedan with all weathers is better than a pickup with snows. Shouldn't we be banning pickups instead?

I saved hundreds buying used, Kijiji is full of good used tires. Found a set of nearly new winters on steelies for $450. Swap them myself so no additional cost.

So the car has snows but the kids don't have winter clothes. Brilliant!
?

Oh save the drama. There is NO reason in this country for kids to have no winter clothes, between goodwill, salvation army, or value village clothes can be had for dirt cheap, or even free.

This debate is retarded.

I love winter tires. I got a used set off Kijiji for my Edge for $350 and i have just started my 3rd winter with them.

Making them mandatory is stupid. Windsor is a lot different than Ottawa. Stupid drivers will drive just as poorly with winter tires as they do with all seasons.

The "can't afford it" excuse is just that. An excuse. The only additional expense incurred is a second set of steel wheels (which you can pick up on kijiji for under $100) and mounting/balancing. Running 2 sets of wheels for a half season doubles the time between replacing them, so the only cost is the initial outlay......and if you can't afford that, you should look long and hard at the cost of owning/insuring the toy that sits in the corner of your garage for half the year.

Last edited:
Making them mandatory is stupid. Windsor is a lot different than Ottawa. Stupid drivers will drive just as poorly with winter tires as they do with all seasons.

Summer/AS tires have the same lack of grip on dry pavement at 0C in Windsor as they do at 0C in Ottawa. And slipping+sliding on snow in Windsor once a month vs. once a week in Ottawa only increases the odds of getting in a fender-bender, not the likelihood.

This debate is retarded. Making them mandatory is stupid. Windsor is a lot different than Ottawa. Stupid drivers will drive just as poorly with winter tires as they do with all seasons.
Agreed.Watched a clown in a H2 blow past me on the highway doing about 20k over the limit in whiteout conditions a few years ago on the #86 outside Waterloo.A few kliks later he was in the ditch.I slowed down and asked if he was ok (he was) Buh bye idiot.

FMJ, I live in Windsor. I'll take Ottawa drivers in snow any day over the complete and utter tools that exist here. It's carmageddon on the freeway here with even a dusting of snow. When I moved here from GTA my insurance went UP.

FMJ, I live in Windsor. I'll take Ottawa drivers in snow any day over the complete and utter tools that exist here. It's carmageddon on the freeway here with even a dusting of snow. When I moved here from GTA my insurance went UP.

My parents move to Kingsville when they retired, so I'm quite familiar with the Windsor+area driver's skill set. My father was struck and killed on his bicycle by one of them in a SMIDSY accident on Arner Townline.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom