Csbk 2013 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Csbk 2013

5 venues, 6 rounds. All over by mid-August. Wow. A national (disg)race.

I know we're in a recession, but this is pretty sad... I think SOAR and RACE do more track time than CSBK does.

5 venues, 6 rounds. All over by mid-August. Wow. A national (disg)race.

I know we're in a recession, but this is pretty sad... I think SOAR and RACE do more track time than CSBK does.

Been that way for a looooong time.

SOAR and RACE are also six round series.

Well, CSBK is in its 2nd year...

Don't forget that RACE has two test days and is loosely affiliated with VRRA, which also has two race days that they lump in with the RACE events. But I get your point.

Well, CSBK is in its 2nd year...

Don't forget that RACE has two test days and is loosely affiliated with VRRA, <<<Well THAT is a pretty loose statement which also has two race days that they lump in with the RACE events. <<<You mean the two weekends they rent the track from Shannonville? And Shannonville lists the events on their Calendar just like the CSBK event is? But I get your point.
http://www.shannonville.com/assets/program_all.pdf

I'm curious though, how many rounds(not including double headers) do you think there should be?

In a national? At least eight. Having not spoken with the competitors much about it, some may not afford that.

However, I've heard plenty of griping on the other side of that argument, too...

You do realize that in 2004 there was 6 race weekends, 2005 there was 5 race weekends (referenced because those DVDs are handy)...as Caboose said things have been this way for a looooong time...

The Aussie superbikes run 7 races, 3 of which are at the same track. Mind you that track is Philip Island.

British SBK has 12 rounds and is a much better series to watch but also has a lot more spectators and cash thrown around the events.

I was at Shannonville for those races, but I seem to remember there being more rounds. Maybe I'm just mistaken.... that's getting to be most of a decade ago now. (boggle)

Remember when there used to be a women's cup? I guess they were quick enough to play with the boys (not that i see why they couldn't be), or there just wasn't enough money in it? I miss it.

missbhavn.jpg

(but I get to talk to Tammy and some of the other ladies with all these track days going on)

Last edited:
Shame. Women seem to make most things better... imho. ;)

Shame. Women seem to make most things better... imho. ;)

The only on-track fight I've ever seen was in a lady race. Lol. If they could field a decent grid then I'd be all for it but when they can't fill 3 rows (when the other classes have 20+ bikes) it becomes hard to justify.

Canadian Superbike had been a low venue count series, usually Shannonville, Mosport, a Quebec Round (st moustache or Tremblant etc) Race city, and Shubie. Some would be double headers, but not all, so thats all fine.

What I miss however, was the 50+ entries in Amateur, and overflowing pro grids from years ago. I remember coming out to Shannonville and seeing numerous vehicles leaving with bikes loaded - the riders that didn't manage to qualify. Packed stands, because spectators had something worth watching, and riders had something worth racing (fighting) for, and a show to put on for a crowd.

But, that was back in the day, and might be that way again, but I don't think under current ownership in the current market.

I'll admit it, I dont race these last years due to the costs involved, its insane. And for what, riders don't even get TV coverage anymore, so what can an aspiring racer sell to sponsors in the form of viewership or exposure? Spectator exposure is minimal at best unfortunately. Moreso, I hated the idea of being told what I could bring, what tires to run, now what fuel to run, which might limit my modifications to the engine etc etc. Bah. RACE was good, but now with 9 bike grids, its not worth the money to try and win a peice of paper (they dont have trophy's) which has little value of competition.

Now the new Canadian Series, without the restrictions however.. thats a different story...

Last edited:
There are still rumblings about another, independent national series. There is a thread about it on Cherrypicker, with the latest status update being today with a promise of more news after the December bike show.

This could go either way. On the one hand, setting up another series would be a challenge and, strictly speaking, is the last thing roadracing needs (there is not enough room for two national series). On the other hand, the management of the existing series has burned its share of bridges over the years, and maybe, just maybe, enough of those potential sponsors might support the new one.

I was at Shannonville for those races, but I seem to remember there being more rounds. Maybe I'm just mistaken.... that's getting to be most of a decade ago now. (boggle)

Remember when there used to be a women's cup? I guess they were quick enough to play with the boys (not that i see why they couldn't be), or there just wasn't enough money in it? I miss it.

missbhavn.jpg

(but I get to talk to Tammy and some of the other ladies with all these track days going on)

Tammy had given up on racing, herself, and was announcing a bit even before the Women's Cup gave up the ghost.

Canadian Superbike had been a low venue count series, usually Shannonville, Mosport, a Quebec Round (st moustache or Tremblant etc) Race city, and Shubie. Some would be double headers, but not all, so thats all fine.

What I miss however, was the 50+ entries in Amateur, and overflowing pro grids from years ago. I remember coming out to Shannonville and seeing numerous vehicles leaving with bikes loaded - the riders that didn't manage to qualify. Packed stands, because spectators had something worth watching, and riders had something worth racing (fighting) for, and a show to put on for a crowd.

But, that was back in the day, and might be that way again, but I don't think under current ownership in the current market.

I'll admit it, I dont race these last years due to the costs involved, its insane. And for what, riders don't even get TV coverage anymore, so what can an aspiring racer sell to sponsors in the form of viewership or exposure? Spectator exposure is minimal at best unfortunately. Moreso, I hated the idea of being told what I could bring, what tires to run, now what fuel to run, which might limit my modifications to the engine etc etc. Bah. RACE was good, but now with 9 bike grids, its not worth the money to try and win a peice of paper (they dont have trophy's) which has little value of competition.

Now the new Canadian Series, without the restrictions however.. thats a different story...

And I miss seeing thirty+ 125GP bikes coming over the hill, but that was a while back. Riders left and weren't replaced. Costs became prohibitive. People who helped ont he organizational and logistical side were alienated.

Maybe this new proposed series will address the issues?

Last edited:

I'm assuming that the people that still race do it for the love of the sport and can afford it mostly on their dime. I just started this year and never thought about making money doing it or being famous but because i love riding/racing and I'm guessing the rest of the field is there for the same reasons. I'll be doing a couple nationals this year also but I'm waiting to see what is happening with both series before I know which one or maybe I'll do a bit of both. RACE also gives out trophies for AM 600/SBK and pro 600/SBK. They're not big but they sure look nice above the fireplace :)

Are you sure? I know novice doesn't but I was sure all the AM/PRO got hardware.

Tammy had given up on racing, herself, and was announcing a bit even before the Women's Cup gave up the ghost.

And I miss seeing thirty+ 125GP bikes coming over the hill, but that was a while back. Riders left and weren't replaced. Costs became prohibitive. People who helped ont he organizational and logistical side were alienated.

Maybe this new proposed series will address the issues?

I certainly hope so. I hope it solves a lot of the problems that the existing CSBK business model has.

I also miss when a racer could actually afford a case of beer...

Back
Top Bottom