Salvage --> Rebuilt cars. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Salvage --> Rebuilt cars.

Had a rebuilt car for my first car i ever owned. Nothing but problems. Sank money into it, in the end gave it away for less than a set of rims just to get rid of the headaches.

Good luck.

But they don't bring you a latte while you're waiting.

Actually cut is a misnomer. VAG keys have slots milied in either side of them instead of teeth cut on the edges. A bit more involved process, and harder to duplicate, hence the price.

Plus, the receptionists are better looking. Always.

Receptionist was 8/10 (I might be showing signs of being a pedo tho).
Honda keys are also 'milled' with smooth top & bottom remaining.
It's all done now anyway, so if I lose one - it won't cost me a grand later :)

It also depends if you're getting a plain key cut or one with a built in fob.

Don't think cutting or milling is affected by the fob - just the price of a blank, but it does have it built in.

Had a rebuilt car for my first car i ever owned. Nothing but problems. Sank money into it, in the end gave it away for less than a set of rims just to get rid of the headaches.

Good luck.

Yikes & lol.........I'm about 1,000kms into it, and (knock on wood) it's all good so far.

It also depends if you're getting a plain key cut or one with a built in fob.

Gary said he was getting a key cut and programmed, so he was taking about a keyless entry fob. Again, I don't know about Honda, but with Audi you get 2 keys with keyless entry fobs and one plain key. The plain one is the valet key, and only works in the door and the ignition. Pretty much useless except for emergencies.

Receptionist was 8/10 (I might be showing signs of being a pedo tho).

You'll need one of those cutsie bear sticker for the back window of the new car now. I can't help you with that. TAFB can point you in the right direction.

It's all done now anyway, so if I lose one - it won't cost me a grand later

They can cut you a new one from your VIN. That may be extra.

Last edited:
But they don't bring you a latte while you're waiting.

Actually cut is a misnomer. VAG keys have slots milied in either side of them instead of teeth cut on the edges. A bit more involved process, and harder to duplicate, hence the price.

Plus, the receptionists are better looking. Always.

Das Boobies.

ins cos only write off a car if the repair estimate.is worth more than the car itself...then sell it to a micky mouse operation who fixes it up cheap and STILL makes money on it. Simple math. Oops.

It's a done deal and i've got my fingers crossed.
I had a similar experience like Toshison. Salvaged 93 VW Jetta. It had a lot of problems with it after I started driving it. It was a write-off but the body shop patched it together, gave it a nice coat-o-paint and sold it off. Easiest fix was the 4 mis-matched tires. Hardest thing to fix was the sunroof. The car was mis-aligned so my sunroof finally gave out and stopped working. Dashboard had 1/10th of the appropriate lights working.

My current Accord was almost a right-off. Shop did and incredible job repairing the car (Front end collision). 8 years later the car is still rock solid and I don't notice any effects from the accident.

So, who knows how your car will turn out. You got a killer deal and it's an Accord. Good luck.

I think it depends on how well the repairs were done. I woud have some doubts about whether it was correctly restored but for the right price, it could be worth the risk. It's not like you bought the car under the assumption it wasn't a rebuild. If there are any problems, they probably won't be apparently until much later.

I bought a "rebuilt" titled car some years ago and I wouldn't do it again. It was cheap and I inspected it and it looked alright and ran alright but after owning it, working on it and more carefully inspected it, I found lots of problems... Engine was good. Most of the issues were with body work. Panels not lining up or fastened perfectly, poor paintjob in some areas, seams not watertight which cased some water leakage and corrosion in the trunk. The rebuilt title also made the car impossible to sell. Because of my experience, I probably wouldn't get one again. But, if you are planning to run this car into the ground and you got a great deal on it, it could be worth it but you never know what problems may be hidden.

Not quite the same, but I had good success when I bought a "theft recovery" car once upon a time back in 1994 from the local wreckers.

It was a gamble..unknown history, 17k on the clock, a few minor scratches, all the VINs were removed from the vehicle (even going as far as torching the firewall to remove the VIN stamped there), but hey, it was current model year at the time and a heck of a deal.

So I went for it.

Cops put a "replacement VIN" on the door jamb, the Acura dealer said the car didn't exist in their system any longer, so hence no warranty, but they were happy to service it and cut me new keys for it.

Car worked and ran great! Kept it for 4 years. Zero issues.

No problems getting insurance on it, and when I sold it, I was straight up with the guy and told him the history. He could see that I meticulously took care of the car, and that it had all the maintenance paperwork up to date, so he jumped at buying it.

I'd do it again if I came across the right vehicle.

Not quite the same, but I had good success when I bought a "theft recovery" car once upon a time back in 1994 from the local wreckers.

It was a gamble..unknown history, 17k on the clock, a few minor scratches, all the VINs were removed from the vehicle (even going as far as torching the firewall to remove the VIN stamped there), but hey, it was current model year at the time and a heck of a deal.

So I went for it.

Cops put a "replacement VIN" on the door jamb, the Acura dealer said the car didn't exist in their system any longer, so hence no warranty, but they were happy to service it and cut me new keys for it.

No problems getting insurance on it, and when I sold it, I was straight up with the guy and told him the history. He could see that I meticulously took care of the car, and that it had all the maintenance paperwork up to date, so he jumped at buying it.

I've found that you can tell a lot about a vehicle's condition by the person that owns it and is selling it to you. Keeping records, not hesitant answering questions, etc go a long way.

You got yourself a good vehicle there OP. Honda's go forever.

Update:
Two years into owning my "salvage / rebuilt" Accord, nothing to report.
About 33,000kms later. Other than reg oil changes and a couple sets of tires (one winter) I haven't had a single issue.
I did let my "runaway" trailer plow into the front end. That cost me. But the car been good to me, so far.
No rust, yet.

So I went for it.

That could have been mine if it was a Green Integra GSR, and had lion teeth marks on the back bumper.

That could have been mine if it was a Green Integra GSR, and had lion teeth marks on the back bumper.
Nope, it was a Black GS-R. Man, was it a blast to drive.

Burnt the clutch out at 70k from all the smoky burnouts and stoplight drag races. Good times!

Sent from my Passport

Back
Top Bottom