Salvage --> Rebuilt cars. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Salvage --> Rebuilt cars.

Gary

Site Supporter
Anyone have any experience with a "rebuilt" title? I'm a virgin.
Recently, I (reluctantly) picked up a '12 Accord EX-L coupe, with a $15,000 discount from new.
Less than 6K kms. It was an insurance co write off - repaired.
Has all the necessary 'rebuild inspection' papers and a regular safety etc.
The dealer / repair shop gave me a 1 yr unconditional warranty, since the Honda factory warranty is void upon being 'written off'.
Car seems flawless so far.
Other than re-sale, I'm wondering what the drawback(s) is / are, if any?

How much was the repair cost? where was it hit? has the whole one side of the car been cut off another and welded on?

Yea it all depends on the work done.

How much was the repair cost? where was it hit? has the whole one side of the car been cut off another and welded on?
Depends who I'm to believe.
The repair shop said it cost them ~ $3500 in parts & showed me receipts (no mention of labour cost).
Ins co estimated the damage at $17K.
Didn't have a piece of another wreck welded on.
The right front corner was hit. No wheel / alignment damage, although that's part of the 'rebuild inspection' - didn't touch the door either. The left fender was bent / replaced along with the hood, complete front end, and right side fender. New rad and a/c lines.
From the info I've got so far, I'm to believe the tolerances are 1mm.
To look at this thing, I can't tell it's been hit. I'm not a mechanic, but I did spend 28 yrs building cars and have a vague idea what to look for (so I bought it).

It really depends on the kind of work that was done and the quality of the paint/repairs.
Other than a hurting resale value, there is not much to worry about.
Of course, that's if the car was fixed properly.

edit: what year is the car and when was it hit?

It really depends on the kind of work that was done and the quality of the paint/repairs.
Other than a hurting resale value, there is not much to worry about.
Of course, that's if the car was fixed properly.

edit: what year is the car and when was it hit?

It's a 2012 EX-L coupe (in 1st post), and it was involved in an accident in Oct.
Only came with 1 key, damnit.......I have an appt today to get a spare cut / programmed.

It's a 2012 EX-L coupe (in 1st post), and it was involved in an accident in Oct.
Only came with 1 key, damnit.......I have an appt today to get a spare cut / programmed.
Sorry, I must of missed that...

Well, a new EX-L Accord goes for what $40K?
It doesn't make sense that the insurance company would write it off for a $17K claim, since replacing it would cost them more money.

I think it depends on how well the repairs were done. I woud have some doubts about whether it was correctly restored but for the right price, it could be worth the risk. It's not like you bought the car under the assumption it wasn't a rebuild. If there are any problems, they probably won't be apparently until much later.

I bought a "rebuilt" titled car some years ago and I wouldn't do it again. It was cheap and I inspected it and it looked alright and ran alright but after owning it, working on it and more carefully inspected it, I found lots of problems... Engine was good. Most of the issues were with body work. Panels not lining up or fastened perfectly, poor paintjob in some areas, seams not watertight which cased some water leakage and corrosion in the trunk. The rebuilt title also made the car impossible to sell. Because of my experience, I probably wouldn't get one again. But, if you are planning to run this car into the ground and you got a great deal on it, it could be worth it but you never know what problems may be hidden.

My opinion.....stay away. I've heard too many horror stories about cars's with a 'rebuilt' title. Sometimes insurance companies don't insure them either (I believe - not 100% sure).

The panels aren't prepped the same way as a factory panel is prepped - so they start to rot down the line - rust forms in seams etc (I guess a few application of Krown should stop it?). But you can have electrial issues - ground issues as well. All minor issues if you know how to wrench (which im sure you do)

Was going to buy a '97 Jimmy...but StateFarm wouldn't insure it - or was surcharging me about 7 - 8 yrs ago...so I opted to pay $2000 more and get a '99 next gen jimmy.

Sorry, I must of missed that...

Well, a new EX-L Accord goes for what $40K?
It doesn't make sense that the insurance company would write it off for a $17K claim, since replacing it would cost them more money.

Too bad the link is gone. I had it - with pics. It was sold at auction, so the ins co recovers that, don't they?
I forgot to mention the air bags had to be replaced too.
A new 2012 EX-L can be picked up for about $26,000 now - with incentives, although coupes, in black / black are not available.
I was planning on a 2013, but I bought this wreck for $17,400 + tax.........hard to pass on.

I think it depends on how well the repairs were done. I woud have some doubts about whether it was correctly restored but for the right price, it could be worth the risk. It's not like you bought the car under the assumption it wasn't a rebuild. If there are any problems, they probably won't be apparently until much later.

I bought a "rebuilt" titled car some years ago and I wouldn't do it again. It was cheap and I inspected it and it looked alright and ran alright but after owning it, working on it and more carefully inspected it, I found lots of problems... Engine was good. Most of the issues were with body work. Panels not lining up or fastened perfectly, poor paintjob in some areas, seams not watertight which cased some water leakage and corrosion in the trunk. The rebuilt title also made the car impossible to sell. Because of my experience, I probably wouldn't get one again. But, if you are planning to run this car into the ground and you got a great deal on it, it could be worth it but you never know what problems may be hidden.

Prior to retiring, I spent several yrs inspecting bodywork / seams / panels lining up etc etc. The 1st thing I noticed on this wreck I bought was, how perfect all the lines are. (better than any Ford I've seen go down the line)
I don't know when it came to law, but the 'rebuild inspection' is quite picky. Not many places are authorized to do them, and unlike a regular safety check (that just about anyone can buy for $100 - sight unseen) I don't think an inspector would be as willing to lose his licence by overlooking anything. It's a very stringent inspection to make it pass from "salvage" to "rebuilt".

My opinion.....stay away. I've heard too many horror stories about cars's with a 'rebuilt' title. Sometimes insurance companies don't insure them either (I believe - not 100% sure).

The panels aren't prepped the same way as a factory panel is prepped - so they start to rot down the line - rust forms in seams etc (I guess a few application of Krown should stop it?). But you can have electrial issues - ground issues as well. All minor issues if you know how to wrench (which im sure you do)

Was going to buy a '97 Jimmy...but StateFarm wouldn't insure it - or was surcharging me about 7 - 8 yrs ago...so I opted to pay $2000 more and get a '99 next gen jimmy.

My ins only asked me if there was any 'un-repaired' damage to the bodywork. I said "no".
The lack of 'prepping' the panels is a minor concern - I thought about it at first. Not too likely I'll drive this load in the winter anyway - unless it's like last winter.
Do you know when the 'strict' inspection (salvage to rebuilt) was made law? I can't find the answer.

My ins only asked me if there was any 'un-repaired' damage to the bodywork. I said "no".
The lack of 'prepping' the panels is a minor concern - I thought about it at first. Not too likely I'll drive this load in the winter anyway - unless it's like last winter.
Do you know when the 'strict' inspection (salvage to rebuilt) was made law? I can't find the answer.

Is all of this happening in Ontario?
Where does it say "salvage" to "rebuilt"? Ownership?

The cheapest 2012 Accord EX-L coupe is going for $27K with 15K KM's...
http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Honda/A...15486828_ON20080130104719054/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Something doesn't add up.

It wouldn't say salvage to rebuilt on the ownership, just "rebuilt".

It did say "salvage". Upon being repaired and passing inspection, it's now branded "rebuilt".
Mine is EXACTLY like the one in the link you put up - colour, Navi and all.
(new 2012's are being discounted right now - $4K off all Accords + whatever else you can knock off).
The place I bought it from had, amongst other fairly new Honda cars - a 2012 Civic EX-L - with 24 kilometers on it - not 24K kms.... just off the lot with 24 kms when the driver rear ended someone while texting. It looks brand new, and the asking price was a meagre $14K. (it's sold).

Honestly bro, I had an accident in my Mitsu that sounds very similar to that. Dealer estimate was $23k to fix, insurance wanted to brand and write off the car, I talked them out of it. No brand, under $10k in repairs and 40,000km later she runs strong. No frame damage obviously, but it was a pretty grimy collision cause of how I hit what I hit.

The offers I've been seeing for the car are still in the mid-high range for recent selling prices.

It did say "salvage". Upon being repaired and passing inspection, it's now branded "rebuilt".
Mine is EXACTLY like the one in the link you put up - colour, Navi and all.
(new 2012's are being discounted right now - $4K off all Accords + whatever else you can knock off).
The place I bought it from had, amongst other fairly new Honda cars - a 2012 Civic EX-L - with 24 kilometers on it - not 24K kms.... just off the lot with 24 kms when the driver rear ended someone while texting. It looks brand new, and the asking price was a meagre $14K. (it's sold).

Hey I'm texting you from my new caraaaaash. Oh Sh*t.

re Yours

A) You've bought it and none of the comments here will change anything.
B) You will get hammered on a sale or trade-in

Put it out of your mind and cross bridges when you come to them. Paranoia will kill your wallet.

Dunno about Honda, but getting a new switchblade key at yor local Audi dealer cut and prgrammed for your car is $200.

Dunno about Honda, but getting a new switchblade key at yor local Audi dealer cut and prgrammed for your car is $200.
Im sitting in the stealership atm.........$47.50 for key...$75.00 to program.......same as it was for my '98 a few yrs ago.

Im sitting in the stealership atm.........$47.50 for key...$75.00 to program.......same as it was for my '98 a few yrs ago.

But they don't bring you a latte while you're waiting.

Actually cut is a misnomer. VAG keys have slots milied in either side of them instead of teeth cut on the edges. A bit more involved process, and harder to duplicate, hence the price.

Plus, the receptionists are better looking. Always.

Last edited:
But they don't bring you a latte while you're waiting.

Actually cut is a misnomer. VAG keys have slots milied in either side of them instead of teeth cut on the edges. A bit more involved process, and harder to duplicate, hence the price.

It also depends if you're getting a plain key cut or one with a built in fob.

Back
Top Bottom