Possibly a new bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Possibly a new bike?

Bagel09

Hello forum!
I was reading up on a few bikes and came across this forum. I was hoping someone could help me out by answering a few questions regarding the following bikes: Yamaha FZ6R, Suzuki SV 650 SA (ABS), Suzuki Gladius. So just to introduce myself a little bit, I've had a spark for motorcycles all my life and this year I took the plunge. I took the MSF course through Georgian college and bought a 2012 CBR 250RA (ABS), the bike has been an absolute blast to ride and don't regret owning this bike. But, next riding season I would like to upgrade to a bigger bike- still in the category of a sportbike but not a supersport (for insurance reasons).

After riding for one season, I found it absolutely astonishing the amount of people behind the wheel of a car that don't see motorcyclist. For this reason, (and my inexperience) I would like to stick with a bike that comes with ABS. My question is to you, though the Suzuki SV 650SA/Gladius comes with ABS ,it's not linked ABS like my current Honda CBR 250RA. Is this something that will be very noticeable? Also, without linked does the ABS still do it's job on these Suzuki's?

Furthermore, are these two bikes in particular, good? (In terms of reliability, smoothness) Or would their be something else in the market to look at? I've sat on the Suzuki GSX 650F, it looked very sharp but it felt like I was sitting on top of a boulder.

The 2013 Ninja 650 now comes with ABS as an option. If you don't like the standard bars. You can easily lower them 2-3 inches with aftermarket bars (Sportbars see ninja650shop.com). Thats what I did. I recently upgraded from a Ninja 250r to the Ninja 650 , and it was good upgrade for me.

The 2013 Ninja 650 now comes with ABS as an option. If you don't like the standard bars. You can easily lower them 2-3 inches with aftermarket bars (Sportbars see ninja650shop.com). Thats what I did. I recently upgraded from a Ninja 250r to the Ninja 650 , and it was good upgrade for me.

Few problems with the new Ninja 650 ABS; 1. It's this years model so I would be paying top price and all those fun hidden fees ;), 2. For whatever reason, TD insurance (Only company that would insure me due to my age) quotes a 2013 Ninja 650 at 12,000/year. On the upside, it's a very nice looking bike and it has ABS.

Now what's the ABS like on the Suzuki's/Kawasaki's? From what I've read, they aren't combined ABS.

$12,0000 a year for a Ninja 650 ? I'm with TD and pay $890 per year. Are you sure they didn't quote you for the ZX6r ? I made a point of reminding them the difference between the two.

If that is an accurate quote for you, what makes you think you'll get a better quote on a Suzuki or Yamaha within the same class and engine size ?

If the 600 cc and up are too much for insurance. Then you may want to look at the new Ninja 300r ABS and Honda CBR 500r ABS. Personally I would keep the CBR250 until you can afford the upgrade you want insurance wise.

Last edited:
$12,0000 a year for a Ninja 650 ? I'm with TD and pay $890 per year. Are you sure they didn't quote you for the ZX6r ? I made a point of reminding them the difference between the two.

If that is an accurate quote for you, what makes you think you'll get a better quote on a Suzuki or Yamaha within the same class and engine size ?

That's what I was thinking the first time I heard that number, the Suzuki and Yamaha are much cheaper( just from a quote I got) and obviously because it's not a supersport. But aside from that, are both of those bikes a solid bike?

I don't have any experience on any other bike you mentioned. A friend of mine did own a Suzuki SV650. From what he told me he thought it was good bike (reliable). I think out all the bikes you mentioned the SV650 would be considered the best in sport performance. There are a ton of reviews on the web comparing those three bikes. I think they are all good bikes and in terms of performance, handeling, reliability, cost of ownership etc. They are all very close. It would come down to what you like best and whats the best price you can get.

good luck

Two of my buddies ride sv's and they love them. Never heard any complaints. They are cheap to come by too.

How about a used Monster696ABS?
They are a fantastic bike.

I actually looked into the Monster696 but I don't really want to buy a bike privately and I couldn't find any dealers selling one. A brand new one is just too far out of my price range plus insurance would be more.

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm going to hold off until next riding season and then make my decision.

the poster is worried about getting ripped off I assume,you need to educate yourself if you plan on buying a used bike and this is a great place to begin.

the poster is worried about getting ripped off I assume,you need to educate yourself if you plan on buying a used bike and this is a great place to begin.

Honestly, it's not a matter of pricing- I just feel with my inexperience I could miss a crucial error (Broken seals or the engine doesn't run right etc.), opposed to an experienced rider who would see an obvious error with the bike. I guess that's why I went with a brand new 250 for my first bike, defiantly wasn't the best choice seeing as I already want to sell/trade for next riding season. I should have went with a cheap used 250 instead.

Suzuki SV 650SA bike is really good from all ways as it is easy to ride and its average is also good.I have it So I am telling you that you can buy it.

Just an update on a new bike, after looking at all the bikes I narrowed down my choice to a Suzuki SV 650SA for a Sport bike. I switched my policy this year and the insurance is...bearable. Though, when I was at the show in December a whole different line of bikes came across. I am now looking at a possible Supermoto/Enduro for my next bike, something I can commute back and forth to work and take it off-roading on nice easy trails. So far, I've looked at the
-Suzuki DRZ-400 SM
-Yamaha WR 250R
-KTM 350 EXC

I still would need the same characteristic's as the Sportbike: reliability; size; price.

Back
Top Bottom