Couple of questions about track gearing | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couple of questions about track gearing

Be happy to help you out with your suspension settings as best I can, if I'm around. I put a lot of time into getting my 1000 up to race worthiness and it paid off, found grip and confidence to carry fourth gear in corner one (by adding some front preload). A little goes a long way and yes as you get faster, it's going to change. Corner 14 can be taken quite a bit quicker than most people think at first, the hairpin not as much, have seen quite a few low/highsides there and throwing away a race as well as fistfuls of money doesn't seem worth it for most racers, I'm still not sure I hit it properly after years of riding there; the 1000 line is different than the 600 there as well.

This is what bike development is all about... what works for you doesn't always work for someone else and vs. vs.

Some advice... Make changes you can feel. Two or three clicks, see how it works. 5mm preload or shim, see how it works. You can work back if it goes too far, but if the change is subtle, you probably won't understand the difference. Do one change at a time and test, unless there's something really obvious to improve.

I appreciate the offer and advice man, I may take you up on it the next time out.

I feel like it bogs down a bit, it pulls but not as much as I feel it should/could. My top speed is around 240 kmh indicated in 5th down the back straight. I haven't seen God yet but I flirted with 6th once or twice. Not sure if that answered your question, I'm still recovering from a heat exhaustion. Forgive me. Lol

I couldn't tell you what speed I do anywhere on any track, just gears and approximate rpm range.

You dont want to hit 6th on the back straight, top of 5th but you also don't want to be short or long in any other corners. If your a little long (bogging) you may just need to carry a bit more corner speed. It'll bog a bit in the hairpin no matter what your on or your gearing. I use 1st on a 1000 and it still seems slow at first.

It'll bog a bit in the hairpin no matter what your on or your gearing. I use 1st on a 1000 and it still seems slow at first.

I've been experimenting with first and second on my GSXR1000 at that corner with the only mod of a +1 tooth in the rear. Going trough the hairpin in first is fine and I get a good drive initially but then I have to be very easy on opening the throttle or the front wheel will come up. So most times I feel like I'm wasting time by a slow roll on to redline in 1st or by short shifting into second. Going through it in second is no problem, as I can go WOT as soon as the bike is straight up but obviously the initial drive isn't as good as 1st.

My 1000 doesn't bog. It spins or wheelies and I have to moderate the rear brake. I use 2nd gear, and yes the bike is sprocketed -1/+2 which is part of why it is such a bear to ride, lol

I've been experimenting with first and second on my GSXR1000 at that corner with the only mod of a +1 tooth in the rear. Going trough the hairpin in first is fine and I get a good drive initially but then I have to be very easy on opening the throttle or the front wheel will come up. So most times I feel like I'm wasting time by a slow roll on to redline in 1st or by short shifting into second. Going through it in second is no problem, as I can go WOT as soon as the bike is straight up but obviously the initial drive isn't as good as 1st.

I use first there because second is too high for me to get a good drive. Using the rear brake when accelerating will help keep the front down as shamen said. If you can't do that, short shifting first and not revving out 2nd will keep the front down more and give you drive.

The problem with 1st gear is that you'll inevitably shift into neutral on some lap, maybe right when you least want to. You'll lose a good second or more when it happens, too.

The problem with 1st gear is that you'll inevitably shift into neutral on some lap, maybe right when you least want to. You'll lose a good second or more when it happens, too.
It can happen, if I could get the drive in second I would do it.

Mina - you're welcome to try a few laps on my bike for comparison sake. Suspension should be similar for weight setup (although i may have a slightly heavier shock spring) and we're on the same tires. Same gearing as well. My geometry is likely a bit different as well as suspension should still be fresh. The small differences might prove helpful in finding what works for you.

Mina - you're welcome to try a few laps on my bike for comparison sake. Suspension should be similar for weight setup (although i may have a slightly heavier shock spring) and we're on the same tires. Same gearing as well. My geometry is likely a bit different as well as suspension should still be fresh. The small differences might prove helpful in finding what works for you.
You forgot my tendency to crash. Are we still friends after if I crash your bike? Lol

You forgot my tendency to crash. Are we still friends after if I crash your bike? Lol

Three years now I've had that bike and not crashed it so it's due. I'd rather you on it when it happens instead of me :D

Three years now I've had that bike and not crashed it so it's due. I'd rather you on it when it happens instead of me :D

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom